ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #76
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I'm following this thread, had the 350 in my short list. Decided not to buy it based on the freezing problem.
What would be really cool, and might help those of us who already own a 350, is if you would contact Garmin and tell them why you decided to NOT buy one. http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/#container-form

Garmin needs to hear from as many people as possible, IMHO.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #77
Travex OP
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
Emoto: It may serve you well to contact Garmin yourself to learn of their intention toward servicing your unit when/if the problem begins, once or if you're already out of warranty. It seems that people with the problem are approaching Garmin as they should.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #78
Meff
half way there...

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I'm following this thread, had the 350 in my short list. Decided not to buy it based on the freezing problem.
^^ This more than anything else will cause Garmin to address the issues.
Meff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #79
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
Emoto: It may serve you well to contact Garmin yourself to learn of their intention toward servicing your unit when/if the problem begins, once or if you're already out of warranty. It seems that people with the problem are approaching Garmin as they should.
That is an excellent thought.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #80
Travex OP
Lost is found

4 Freezes in 350mi today.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #81
Jantan
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I called to Garmin Finland today. I talked to the boss and told about freezing issue. This is what he said:

Garmin knows the issue and tries to solve it as soon as possible. New software update will follow in a month or so. PROBLEM is most likely with the FUEL CONSUMPTION CALCULATION. Try to turn off fuel gauge from the GPS as a first aid!!! or use the CAR MODE (car mode doesn't calculate fuel consumption)!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone 15min ago so I haven't tried it myself. Please comment here if it works that way!
Jantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #82
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantan View Post
I called to Garmin Finland today. I talked to the boss and told about freezing issue. This is what he said:

Garmin knows the issue and tries to solve it as soon as possible. New software update will follow in a month or so. PROBLEM is most likely with the FUEL CONSUMPTION CALCULATION. Try to turn off fuel gauge from the GPS as a first aid!!! or use the CAR MODE (car mode doesn't calculate fuel consumption)!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone 15min ago so I haven't tried it myself. Please comment here if it works that way!
Hmm. I don't use that feature. I completely ignore it. And mine has not yet frozen.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #83
Travex OP
Lost is found

Quote:

Perhaps I should move to Finland as you seem to be getting a more honest and direct approach to your inquiry. Odd that we get no similar respect here in the states.

I'm grateful for your input Jantan and will try those approaches today as I do use fuel tracking. Will post results.

Good luck with your own!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #84
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:

That is interesting. Assuming this is the real issue, Garmin's left hand may not know what the right hand is doing.

One hand is exchanging units that freeze by other units, that are un-fixed and will also freeze.

While the other hand knows it is a software glitch, and should be telling consumers the detour (turn off fuel gauge) until fix is available.

And what about the Frenchies and their GPS's stand "fix"? Different problem or a blue cheese and burgundy wine induced hallucination?

Anyway, let's see if this GPS goes back to my short list of candidates for substituting my aging Nuvi.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #85
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Perhaps I should move to Finland as you seem to be getting a more honest and direct approach to your inquiry. Odd that we get no similar respect here in the states.

I'm grateful for your input Jantan and will try those approaches today as I do use fuel tracking. Will post results.

Good luck with your own!
Hey Travex,
Have you tried turning fuel consumption off to see if it will solve your freezing problem?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 01:18 AM
Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #86
Travex OP
Lost is found

Many thanks to Jantan for sharing what he learned!

Placing the unit in Car mode found it going 325mi without a single freeze today. I've become so accustomed to failures that it felt strange to see it working properly again... IF only in Car mode. I hadn't tried disabling fuel tracking as Car mode was my first choice and it was working.

To clarify: I bought the most expensive motorcycle GPS model available only to down-grade it's operation to Car mode which is the equivalent of my daughter's sub-$200.00 Garmin unit. Yeah... That sounds about right.

As Jantan was told an update to fix the problem is forthcoming I'll bite my lip rather than escalate my complaint until it can be determined if the fix is solid or not. That'll be my last attempt at patience with this matter.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #87
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:

Placing the unit in Car mode found it going 325mi without a single freeze today. I've become so accustomed to failures that it felt strange to see it working properly again... IF only in Car mode. I hadn't tried disabling fuel tracking as Car mode was my first choice and it was working.

To clarify: I bought the most expensive motorcycle GPS model available only to down-grade it's operation to Car mode which is the equivalent of my daughter's sub-$200.00 Garmin unit. Yeah... That sounds about right.

As Jantan was told an update to fix the problem is forthcoming I'll bite my lip rather than escalate my complaint until it can be determined if the fix is solid or not. That'll be my last attempt at patience with this matter.
Well, yes, it is certainly a disappointment. But if you turn the fuel calculation off, everything else should still be there.

Thanks for trying and verifying it.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #88
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:

Yeah. Except, I've experimented some with motorcycle mode and frankly, it makes no sense to me at all. That is not to say that it makes no sense; merely that I cannot understand the decisions it makes. The difference seems to be about road choice when routing, and in moto mode it makes what I think are dopey choices, so I leave mine in car mode and am happier with what it does that way. For me, its usefulness is all about it being waterproof so I can keep using it on the bike if it happens to rain while I am on a ride.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #89
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yeah. Except, I've experimented some with motorcycle mode and frankly, it makes no sense to me at all. That is not to say that it makes no sense; merely that I cannot understand the decisions it makes. The difference seems to be about road choice when routing, and in moto mode it makes what I think are dopey choices, so I leave mine in car mode and am happier with what it does that way. For me, its usefulness is all about it being waterproof so I can keep using it on the bike if it happens to rain while I am on a ride.
If that is all you want from a GPS, you could have bought something a lot less expensive. I use a car GPS in my motorcycle, and with some electric tape covering speakers, SD slot, and the mini-usb connection, it has survived rain and dust for more than 5 years and some 20 thousand miles.

I bought an Oregon 450 for the motorcycle, but it is unreliable with its usb-connection. And screen too small, although it works, a larger screen would be better. So the Nuvi never left its role of primary GPS for the motorcycle.

My reasoning to buy the Zumo 350 (or the montana) was the capacity to instal maps, and import multiple tracks and routes for long, multi-day rides.

Otherwise, I would upgrade to a newer Nuvi, with more features than my old Nuvi 260. And would cost less than half the price of the Zumo 350.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #90
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
If that is all you want from a GPS, you could have bought something a lot less expensive. I use a car GPS in my motorcycle, and with some electric tape covering speakers, SD slot, and the mini-usb connection, it has survived rain and dust for more than 5 years and some 20 thousand miles.

I bought an Oregon 450 for the motorcycle, but it is unreliable with its usb-connection. And screen too small, although it works, a larger screen would be better. So the Nuvi never left its role of primary GPS for the motorcycle.

My reasoning to buy the Zumo 350 (or the montana) was the capacity to instal maps, and import multiple tracks and routes for long, multi-day rides.

Otherwise, I would upgrade to a newer Nuvi, with more features than my old Nuvi 260. And would cost less than half the price of the Zumo 350.
Ok, so I didn't list ALL of my requirements. I also like to install maps, and I like to create long routes over little backroads in BaseCamp and have the GPS guide me along on single or multi-day rides. And with small roads selected, they are often rough, so I need the kind of good power connection provided by the 350 cradle and the Montana AMPS rugged mount, which pretty much leaves out all of the automotive units, especially when you consider that I tend to ride on through even heavy rain.