Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
GS vs GSA What is the difference really?

From what I can see the GSA adds:

- Crash Bars
- Bigger Tank
- Bigger Wheels
- More off road oriented tyres
- Larger Fuel Tank

It also seems that they often do not have full electronics.

Is there anything else? Apart from the fuel tank I presume that you can easily turn a GS into a GSA?

I ask this question as I see a lot of posts here salivating over a GSA.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
That 8+ gal tank is a big reason I have one, I don't like filling up about every other day on a 60 mile R/T commute. And about 2 inches taller. For those of us north of 6', that can make a world of difference.

OEM tires aren't a factor for me, it's not long until we all get to swap them out for something else.

Otherwise, yes, I believe you can make a GS fairly close to a GSA.

jimbeauxk screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 11:44 PM
jimbeauxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
and of course a GSA is musch more macho
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
And the gear ratios
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,170
Wheels are the same except for color. On the triple black 12GS they are the same color.
Tires are luck of the draw/some same/some not.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
sarelp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
GSA has a lower 1st gear, wheels are the same size but ground clearance is higher. The bigger fuel tank is a plus.
GSA have spoke wheels. GSA is awesomeness x10!!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,948
I have one of each. I use the 2010 GSA for long trips as the much larger fuel tank and the enduro tranny better meet my needs. The 2007 GS is a more nimble machine, and is my blasting down dirt roads bike.

The GSA comes well-equipped with aux lights, crashbars, valve cover protectors, wider footpegs, bags and spokes but in my opinion there are much better aftermarket options. I've replaced the anorexic aux lights with Kristas, and the one drop and they're ruined valve cover guards with MachineArt Moto covers. The stationary foot pegs were replaced with PivotPegz. I much prefer the look of the TT stainless crashbars, Jesse bags, and the Migsel lightbar on my GS, but not enough to pay more to swap out perfectly serviceable OEM parts. I did get the GS with spoked wheels though.

I guess my complaints about the GSA come down to aesthetics. There is a sameness to all GSAs that you don't see on GSes. Sort of like all Harleys look alike, and all Urals look alike. But the fuel capacity and lower first gear are worth their weight in gold...for my riding style.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
If you plan to turn a GS into a GSA you will spend much more. I can't really say their either of them are reasonably priced but for what you get extra on the GSA it is a relatively small upcharge compared to the GS.

My dealer orders mostly premium package GSA bikes.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeauxk View Post
That 8+ gal tank is a big reason I have one, I don't like filling up about every other day on a 60 mile R/T commute. And about 2 inches taller. For those of us north of 6', that can make a world of difference.

OEM tires aren't a factor for me, it's not long until we all get to swap them out for something else.

Otherwise, yes, I believe you can make a GS fairly close to a GSA.
Completely agree. I commute 100 miles R/T and love not having to fill up every day. Wind protection and ergos seem better on the Adv. for us taller folks (6'3") and when you come out of the office at the end of the day and find a spring storm in GA has blown the bike over, the standard crash bars/guards are priceless. Just pick it up, check to make sure you didn't give yourself a hernia, then ride away smiling. And of course it looks much cooler parked at Starbucks!!!
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
channa51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
glad someone referenced a big difference between the two-the weight...less is more.
channa51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
If you plan to turn a GS into a GSA you will spend much more. I can't really say their either of them are reasonably priced but for what you get extra on the GSA it is a relatively small upcharge compared to the GS.

My dealer orders mostly premium package GSA bikes.
The things you get on a GSA that have any actual value (IF you want them) are the bigger tank and lower first gear. You see MANY OEM fog lights for sale here in the flea market...OK, prewired for aftermarket lights is another plus.

Some have mentioned the ergos of the bike (GSA)for taller riders...it's the SAME bike, with seats that interchange.

Spokes are available on the GS as well.

So yeah. The things you get on a GSA that you can't get on a GS are the enduro trans gearing (same transmission) and big-ass tank...and, of course, macho.
As my gay brother once said about a woman he was living with "She's my beard"
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Some have mentioned the ergos of the bike (GSA)for taller riders...it's the SAME bike, with seats that interchange.
Check the suspension travel. There's an extra inch on the GSA. You're brother would probably say that's a big difference. Seat heights per specs: GS 33", GSA 35.2".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1200GS

jimbeauxk screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 08:27 AM
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

But I believe it's personal preference, really hate to see this turn into a civil war over which is better. I have a GSA, and the last thing I'd do is turn my nose up to someone on a GS, to me there's not enough of a price difference to ascertain a difference in quality. Like many have said, they are nearly equivalent, only pre-accessorized (?) with some items, save for the tank and gearing. Take a GS and add the same equipment, and we're neck and neck cost wise.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
From what I can see the GSA adds:

- Crash Bars
- Bigger Tank
- Bigger Wheels
- More off road oriented tyres
- Larger Fuel Tank

It also seems that they often do not have full electronics.

Is there anything else? Apart from the fuel tank I presume that you can easily turn a GS into a GSA?

I ask this question as I see a lot of posts here salivating over a GSA.

Sidestand and centerstand will be physically longer on the GSA.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
anyone can add crash bars and aux lights, and they can be even better than the BMW bars and a bit less expensive.

Your shocks will usually need replacing in 30,000 miles give or take, at which time you can add adventure length aftermarkets to any GS.

tires are tires.

Anyone riding the GS offroad should have wire spoked wheels.

The big tank is the kicker here. It can be swapped out but those big tanks are bastard expensive.

Some people will never push the GS that far, but I have needed extra fuel and stared at a glowing amber low fuel light so many times I won't buy another GS unless it has the big tank. And that's just the way it is.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote