ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,969
2005 GS Hexhead ABS braking error on hard braking

2005 (made in 2004) 1200GS with the whizzy ABS brakes. 57k miles.

What I have been running into is that when braking sharply, it throws the barking error like one sees before starting the engine, along with the red triangle. The whizzy part still functions, so I am not stuck with residual braking at that point.

When riding at normal street pace and applying brakes at the rates necessary to stop at traffic lights or whatever, there is no problem. But, hit the brakes hard and it throws this error. Turning off the ignition and then back on to allow "re-booting" lets it go away when you roll, just like nothing ever happened.

I have recently bled the whole braking system by the book, but it was doing this before I did that.

Any of you run into this before?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,569
Do you mean you have the ABS light come on? If so, you are activating the ABS, no error. Might be you are getting so comfortable you are now pushing the edge of the braking envelope forcing ABS to activate, probably from the rear tire breaking contact with the ground, or one of them slipping on the surface a bit.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Do you mean you have the ABS light come on? If so, you are activating the ABS, no error. Might be you are getting so comfortable you are now pushing the edge of the braking envelope forcing ABS to activate, probably from the rear tire breaking contact with the ground, or one of them slipping on the surface a bit.

Jim

Hmm. Jim, that could be possible. Maybe. But let me ask a question about normal ABS braking operation. If I brake in such a way as to cause ABS to activate, is it supposed to do the flashy red warning stuff and stay that way until I reboot the bike?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Hmm. Jim, that could be possible. Maybe. But let me ask a question about normal ABS braking operation. If I brake in such a way as to cause ABS to activate, is it supposed to do the flashy red warning stuff and stay that way until I reboot the bike?
No
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
No
I didn't think so.

Now what?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Hmm. Jim, that could be possible. Maybe. But let me ask a question about normal ABS braking operation. If I brake in such a way as to cause ABS to activate, is it supposed to do the flashy red warning stuff and stay that way until I reboot the bike?
No, it should go back out immediately. Most likely you are low on fluid in the reservoir. Hard braking and the sloshing of the fluid can cause a low fluid sensor to do what you describe. The only way to be sure is to open the reservoir and check the levels.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
You might have a slightly weak battery. I was having the red triangle appear in very similar way yours is appearing and disappearing. It was the bikes battery causing this.
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
No, it should go back out immediately. Most likely you are low on fluid in the reservoir. Hard braking and the sloshing of the fluid can cause a low fluid sensor to do what you describe. The only way to be sure is to open the reservoir and check the levels.
Jim
Are you referring to the ABS/servo reservoir? I found if that was a little low, I would lose the servo with hard braking. The servo would shut down.
Boy, that is fun
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Are you referring to the ABS/servo reservoir? I found if that was a little low, I would lose the servo with hard braking. The servo would shut down.
Boy, that is fun
It depends on how low, and which one. If the rear is low a little it usually will not kill the servo, but the front will.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,969
Well, I can certainly pull the tank and look at how full the ABS reservoirs are. I did bleed them not long ago and had thought I set the levels properly at that time, but there is no harm in double-checking, I suppose.

Am running an Odyssey that is fairly old, but seems ok, although other than having no issues starting the bike, I cannot swear to it.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Am running an Odyssey that is fairly old, but seems ok, although other than having no issues starting the bike, I cannot swear to it.
That sounds like my battery.

My issue disappeared after attempting to charge the battery a couple of times. But 12 hr after charging, the battery would read below 12.8 volts. And a few hours after that the battery would read in the 12.65 range.
My battery is weak but the engine starts right up
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 10:13 AM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
That sounds like my battery.

My issue disappeared after attempting to charge the battery a couple of times. But 12 hr after charging, the battery would read below 12.8 volts. And a few hours after that the battery would read in the 12.65 range.
My battery is weak but the engine starts right up
Did you also get the ABS warning issue that I am describing and did a new battery fix that?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Did you also get the ABS warning issue that I am describing and did a new battery fix that?
I donít quite understand you mean by the ABS warning issue. I generally ride with ABS off, so, the brake failure light is always on.
Here is how my issue went:
We had unusually cold weather for several months and did not feel like riding.
I donít own a batter tender, never thought I needed one.

Went out for a short ride and at some point, I noticed I had a red triangle showing. I could not see anything wrong; there were not other indicators on, except the brake failure light.
I stopped, looked the bike over, everything looks OK, bikes running great as usual. I restarted the bike, no red triangle.
This happened several time that day and probably right after I used the brakes hard but I donít know that for sure, but I do know I used the brakes hard.

The fix was just recharging the battery. It took me several tries to get the battery up to full strength and even then it was weak.

But the red triangle issue completely disappeared and I replaced the battery about a month later.
I just use a Yuasa battery and the battery was over 3 Ĺ year old when I replaced it.
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I donít quite understand you mean by the ABS warning issue. I generally ride with ABS off, so, the brake failure light is always on.
Here is how my issue went:
We had unusually cold weather for several months and did not feel like riding.
I donít own a batter tender, never thought I needed one.

Went out for a short ride and at some point, I noticed I had a red triangle showing. I could not see anything wrong; there were not other indicators on, except the brake failure light.
I stopped, looked the bike over, everything looks OK, bikes running great as usual. I restarted the bike, no red triangle.
This happened several time that day and probably right after I used the brakes hard but I donít know that for sure, but I do know I used the brakes hard.

The fix was just recharging the battery. It took me several tries to get the battery up to full strength and even then it was weak.

But the red triangle issue completely disappeared and I replaced the battery about a month later.
I just use a Yuasa battery and the battery was over 3 Ĺ year old when I replaced it.
VERY Interesting. And this was a 1200Gs with the whizzy ABS?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
VERY Interesting. And this was a 1200Gs with the whizzy ABS?
Oh yeah. I keep threatening to sell my 05 but I havenít seen anything I want to replace it with.

Anyway, whoíd buy my 05? It has over 80,000 miles on it.
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014