Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #31
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I have a standard '09 R12GS to which I added the GSA side racks and OEM side cases, plus Hepco Becker crash bars (motor and upper) plus PIAA lamps attached to the upper crash bars plus winglets on the fairing plus a Sargent low seat plus a Z Technic windscreen.

Expensive, but I am really not tall enough for a GSA and I did not want the extra weight of more fuel either. I would have liked the lower (9% I think) first gear though.

Essentially, I got my GSA -- but by using the GS I can fit the bike better.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
I'm in the "not salivating" over the GSA group. I've test ridden them twice, trying to like them, and prefer the regular GS. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs. The extra height and weight isn't a problem for me at all. The regular GS just feels more nimble.

I do wish the GS held a bit more gas. I had two oilheads RT's that held, if memory is correct, 7.2 gallons. That was perfect. But of course, a full 7.2 gallon tank puts weight up high, compared to the GS. No free rides, I guess.
Fuel range is what's keeping a new Monster 1100 Evo out of my garage. 3.2 gallons for an 1100 only get's a 100 mile range.
A couple of people have already mentioned only having to fill up once a week on their GSA. With half the fuel range of a standard GS, some Monster owners would have to stop for gas at least once a day!
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
Mr.Mushman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
As stated in many posts above both models are just great bikes, what makes the difference is which model "talks" to you ... For me the GSA did all the talking. Just like somebody else mentioned, having a bigger tank helps when you have a long commute each and everyday, I hate stopping for gas, its never at the good time and always when I have to get somewhere in a hurry ... Love my GSA, it does exactely what I want it to do and still puts a smile on my face at the end of a long day at work and that's really what matters ...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #34
darkcat
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Steering angle

Hi guys, don't forget the steering angles are different by 1 1/2 degree if I remember right.
darkcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #35
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
They differ in fork angle too!

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #36
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I SEEM to have trouble giving a rat's ass. If you don't know, you don't know. It's just plain silly trying to blow smoke up people's ass with speculation.

You know why my GS "seems" to have a higher seat in this pic?

Because it DOES. but it's the seat, not the bike. It also has higher bars that a stock GS or GSA and better wind protection and front brakes too.
It doesn't seem that way. It IS that way, all with aftermarket parts.
People have done a lot more with their bikes than I have, but that doesn't change the fact that a GSA is a GS with bolt on parts. If it SEEMS different, perhaps you should pay attention.

If you want the big tank there is no cost effective alternative. For everything else, there is
Based on your earlier post, the suspension travel increase is an ergonomic difference when stopped and the seat to peg distance is identical except for the nearly one inch difference(?). Both of those seem to be ergonomic differences that might benefit a taller rider, which I am. You are correct, it's silly to try to blow smoke up someone's ass with speculation when there are facts. And for the record, I was talking stock bikes.
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #37
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Huh. I had no idea that a different gear ratio was a bolt-on away.

Good to know......Good to know.
Quote:
As I'm sure you're aware, the link you posted was of a final drive unit, not the lower 1st gear that the GS/A has.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #38
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Great thread, I really am learning a lot.

The 13 GS LC will be my first big bike and essentially will spend 99% of its time on sealed roads an inner city commuting with occasional gravel road short trips so I think it is the right bike for me.

I will be adding crash bars and other bits, just placed a big SW Motech order and will have the bike ready to go in mid May, really pumped.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #39
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
Based on your earlier post, the seat to peg distance is identical except for the nearly one inch difference(?).
And for the record, I was talking stock bikes.
The nearly one inch difference is entirely in the seat, and the dealer will gladly give you your choice of low, standard, or GSA seats at time of purchase. Lower seat height at a stop is not important to anyone

But, more to the point of the OP...
The 2013 R1200GSW (liquid cooled) is a completely different bike.
There are no parts in common with earlier models. There is no liquid cooled GSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Great thread, I really am learning a lot.

The 13 GS LC will be my first big bike and essentially will spend 99% of its time on sealed roads an inner city commuting with occasional gravel road short trips so I think it is the right bike for me.

I will be adding crash bars and other bits, just placed a big SW Motech order and will have the bike ready to go in mid May, really pumped.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #40
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
As I'm sure you're aware, the link you posted was of a final drive unit, not the lower 1st gear that the GS/A has.
Yep. It meets your criteria for "bolt on gearing change". As for the enduro transmission; it was an available option in '08-'09 but they didn't sell and were discontinued.

Honestly, I gotta wonder about the advantage of the lower first gear anyway. One of the moderators here, AceRph, has a hacked (sidecar rig) '08 GSA. He blew up the trans in it, and after searching for months, finally found a standard GS trans for a reasonable price. He said he can feel the slight difference, but it don't seem to be a problem and don't bother him at all.

The guy who built Roger's rig, Jay at DMC (Dauntless Motors in Seattle) has a hacked standard GS, and the only times he's wished for a lower first gear in many thousands of miles was loaded with camping gear, with his wife in the chair, and towing a tent trailer.
The combined weight of the chair plus tent trailer is more than the weight of either bike in question.
The lower first gear can certainly be an advantage under some circumstances, but almost nobody ever meets that criteria.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #41
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Yep. It meets your criteria for "bolt on gearing change". As for the enduro transmission; it was an available option in '08-'09 but they didn't sell and were discontinued.

Honestly, I gotta wonder about the advantage of the lower first gear anyway. One of the moderators here, AceRph, has a hacked (sidecar rig) '08 GSA. He blew up the trans in it, and after searching for months, finally found a standard GS trans for a reasonable price. He said he can feel the slight difference, but it don't seem to be a problem and don't bother him at all.

The guy who built Roger's rig, Jay at DMC (Dauntless Motors in Seattle) has a hacked standard GS, and the only times he's wished for a lower first gear in many thousands of miles was loaded with camping gear, with his wife in the chair, and towing a tent trailer.
The combined weight of the chair plus tent trailer is more than the weight of either bike in question.
The lower first gear can certainly be an advantage under some circumstances, but almost nobody ever meets that criteria.
Lowered first is a huge plus when you are in the shit.
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #42
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
^^Lower 1st is very advantageous when you're off-road. I never understood the benefit of a taller 1st.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #43
dlbushey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
My 2 cents worth...

I've read this entire thread. I had an 07 GS for 3 years, and less than a month ago sold it to buy an 07 GSA.

Why?

Well...I can tell you that I was ready to upgrade the GS with Ohlins, and the GSA already had them. I wanted the larger fuel tank, and the GSA has it. I wanted the extra suspension travel, and the GSA has it. So...I guess you can say I did it because I WANTED TO!

I like the GSA better. It's physically a better fit. What's the real difference between the GS and GSA? Since I'm the only person who's opinion matters to me on this issue, I just like the GSA better.

But they're both great bikes.

His: '07 R1200GSA,'01 R1150RT
Hers: '93 K1100LT, '03 F650CS

dlbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #44
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 273
A different view. I purchased a new 2010 GSA in June 2011. It now has 36K on it. The biggest variable in the GS and GSA is the skill set of the rider, get on the bitch and ride it!

Just wanted to clarify my post for the rocket scientist trolling the basement; the more you ride it the better you will determine any creature comfort or mechanical variances that like or dislike.

PanhandleChuck screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 08:53 PM
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #45
GPL-TX
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Enduro Transmission

I just had a BMW salesman tell me that all GS & GSA come with the enduro transmission since 08 or 09. Based on these posts it appears he misspoke. If the enduro transmission was an option in 08 is there a way to tell if a GS has that option?
GPL-TX is offline   Reply With Quote