Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Redneck rooster OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Trail tech help for an idiot

I have a trail tech voyager. Sounds silly but do I have to download a map in it. The map function is blank, I guess it's waiting for me to import a map in it. Where do I find a downloadable map for for dualsport/Forrest riding, in Northern California . I went to a dualsport event and downloaded a GPS file in it and an arrow showed up but no map. I just kept the arrow straight, on the blank screen.....geez what a pain. Any help would be appreciated. ok ok I'm 60 but I can't still ride.
Redneck rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
You might find the answer in this thread about the Trail Tech Voyager:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630939
Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Perhaps things have changed but I have been under the impression that the Voyager can not do "Maps" in the normal sense, for example road (Garmin's CityNavigator) and topographic (Garnin's TOPO) maps.
The Voyager can input & output .gpx files containing waypoints & track logs (not sure about routes), or in other word "user generated data" either by yourself or others.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 03:28 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck rooster View Post
I went to a dualsport event and downloaded a GPS file in it and an arrow showed up but no map. .
You may have noticed that 95% of GPSs at any Dual Sport event are Garmin 60/76. If you have any thing else the promoter probably doesn't have a clue what to do for you. At my events a few people come in with the data card from a trail tech and ask to have .GPX file of tracks downloaded.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
GPS Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You may have noticed that 95% of GPSs at any Dual Sport event are Garmin 60/76. If you have any thing else the promoter probably doesn't have a clue what to do for you. At my events a few people come in with the data card from a trail tech and ask to have .GPX file of tracks downloaded.
Voyager will display tracks, routes and waypoints from any GPX file. GPX is one of the most generic forms of GPS data available, and should be available at any event. Contact us before your next event and we can team up with the event coordinator to make sure the files are available

It does sound like the map didn't get loaded correctly on the Voyager GPS at the dual sport ride. Feel free to give us a call anytime.

Garridan
Trail Tech
360-687-4530
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garridan View Post
GPX is one of the most generic forms of GPS data available, and should be available at any event. It does sound like the map didn't get loaded correctly on the Voyager GPS at the dual sport ride. Garridan Trail Tech 360-687-4530
NOT TRUE!

Dual Sport promoters do not download maps, that is rider's responsibility to have their unit set to use and know how to use it.

At Dual Sport events 95% of GPS units are Garmin 60/76. The promoter has Mapsource open with a set of 500 point Tracks (from a .gpd file) ready to download. All Track Colors and On/Off status is set to start the ride. The rider plugs GPS in and promoter downloads tracks before rider can sign the release.

If you have questions about GPS @ DS events post them on:

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...isplay.php?f=5

You will get answers from many DS promoters.

A few riders show with old school 250 points per track Garmins which are a PITA for the promoter to filter special file for them. I make them leave unit anc come back later when I have time.

If a rider needs a .gpx file downloaded via a USB cable (for a 62/78/Montana), this is not a big problem using MS Explorer but rider then needs to know how to turn On/Off tracks and set colors.

If the rider needs a .gpx file copied to a data card, he better have his own USB data card reader ready to plug in.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,410
Tell us how you "really" feel Jerry.....
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Tell us how you "really" feel Jerry.....
I don't know if I have a feeling, I only am reporting what promoters do. I promote about 8 Dual Sport rides a year (DualSportWest.com) , the other District 37 promoters promote another 16 events. We all do it about the same.