User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
MadMax OP
Marveling...

Oddometer: 411
What works with any Thumper?

There are alot of Brand/model specific threads here, but one thing ALL our bikes have in common is firing on one cylinder! Post up your universally "all good" equipment finds here for your fellow "good vibrations" bikers to peruse! Just be sure that your recommendations will work on any Thumper out there.

I'll start it off with Neduro's Double Take mirrors. I've used them on two thumpers, and they are built for bikes that do off-road duty. I broke two sets of BMW mirrors on my Xchallenge, before buying the Double-take mirrors, at half the cost of the BMW replacements.

Next, some of us on 650's use our bikes for long distance riding at higher speeds. A thumper's vibes, after a while, can get to you. So I use an Airhawk cushion to tame the vibration and make for a comfortable tour.

Finally, Baja Designs- Squadron LED light. This thing is the brightest aux. light I've ever owned. And so far it has withstood the vibrations of my 650 Yamaha for about 4,000 miles of off-road and on-road use. Most thumpers don't have real good headlights, so do yourself a favor, and get a light to see by... and be seen.

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Just like everything you just posted , what else wouldn't work on a multi as well?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
ProGrip 714 Rally Grips cut down the vibes better than any other grip that I've tried.

It actually says on the packaging that they will not work on bikes with more than one cylinder.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
MadMax OP
Marveling...

Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Just like everything you just posted , what else wouldn't work on a multi as well?

So, there being a host of threads here debating the usefulness of brand specific parts, I thought it would be a good thing to have a list of UNIVERSAL items that work ESPECIALLY well on Thumpers. Often times, equipment that works on many different brands of bikes, gets overlooked, because people, like me, continue to buy OEM replacement parts. But, sometimes, there are better alternatives that we can all use on our bikes.

If you'd like to use these parts on your Multi, hey it's a free country. But, don't use the grips, mentioned above, as they won't work on your bike! Ride Safe!

MadMax

MadMax screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 01:27 AM Reason: sp
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
MadMax OP
Marveling...

List

I'll update this list as recommendations come in.

So far we have: *BEER* of course!

1. NEDURO Double-Take mirrors
2. Airhawk seat cushion
3. Baja Designs- Squadron LED light
4. ProGrip 714 Rally Grips
5. Highway dirtbikes handguards and dash
6. Giant Loop tankbag
7. Wolfman Enduro bag
8. Tusk fender pack
9. Ironman sprockets
10. Honda sprocket bolts
11. Sweetcheeks- (beanbag cushion)
12. Ram-mounts
13. Threadlock!

MadMax

MadMax screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 02:45 AM Reason: update list
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Dualsport thumpers

I think many thumpers would like the Highway Dirt Bikes handguards and dash setup. (the mirrors on this setup are awesome). Another great setup is the Giant Loop tank bag. Also like these tires.

Cheers, matt

Xplorr screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 06:47 AM
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,098
The only things I have that go across platforms are my Wolfman enduro bag and Tusk fender pak. The Wolfman bag especially is a nice bit of kit.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 10:03 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,463
Kehin FCR-MX pumper carb.
focallength is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Iron Man rear sprockets. I've put 8,000 mostly dirt miles and a one-time mud race on mine on a 540 and it still looks nearly new.
Pick the tooth count carefully because it will be a long time before you have an excuse to buy a new one.
OrangeYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
JDUBinCO
Mass Centralized

Oddometer: 51
Skid plate. I can't imagine taking a heavy multi-cylinder bike through most of what my XR does easily. You need a good skid plate to protect its belly.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUBinCO View Post
Skid plate. I can't imagine taking a heavy multi-cylinder bike through most of what my XR does easily. You need a good skid plate to protect its belly.
I don't think you understand what he's trying to do, skid plates are mostly bike specific (maybe they'll fit a narrow group of bikes), I can't bolt an XR400 skid plate on my TE610 for example.

I think this thread will really highlight the lack of standards in bikes. There's so few interchangeable parts.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,098
I thought of one other thing that crosses over: I am running Honda rear sprocket bolts in my LC4E. Any port in a storm.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,211
Beer

Why Beer of course

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
MadMax OP
Marveling...

Great Start!

Thanks for the input. I think that not only will this list give good ideas to veteran thumper-philes, it will also help Noobs outfit their bikes! And let's face it, thumpers being some of the least expensive bikes out there, we probably have a fair share of folks just starting out on the shake, rattle, and roll bikes!

I did not include the carb and skid plate ideas on the list because some of our thumpers are F.I. now and as was pointed out, skid plates are very bike specific. For instance I would love a Black Dog Cycle works skid plate, but they only fit BMW and KTM bikes, not Yamaha.

MadMax
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #15
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Sweetcheeks. You look like a clown sitting on it, but you're a comfortable clown.

Fitted handlebars. If what's there has you bent to an awkward position, a different set will position your body better. Better for control, better for comfort.

Levers. There are various types, from spring loaded to nylon, but a lever that doesn't break on you on the trail is darn nice. Figuring out what fits can be tedious, but I've yet to have a bike I couldn't figure something out on.

Ram-mount, for mounting whatever I want up on my handlebars.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote