User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Back in the shop, again! Updated!

Well I'm not feeling the love about now. Got a 12 GS Rallye 7 months ago. Trans would stick when down shifting. After much back and forth banter they decide to replace the trans. Problem, there weren't any as it has a black case. Hans in the fatherland has to make one. Eventually it is replaced and all is good.

Yesterday while doing a though look see before a wash job I see oil on the starter. Further checking shows it coming from the seam between the engine and the trans. I can see it on the edges of the clutch cover at the top of the trans on both sides. It had started to pool under the engine around the left rear skid plate mounting stud. I make a call to the dealer and he says if it is leaking between the engine and trans it will have to be broke in half again. And it will be down for a while he tells me in a not very hopefully tone.

It looks and smells like engine oil, so thinking crank seal or whatever else is there that I don't know about. Does the engine have to come apart to replace these? Clutch probably oiled up so that needs replacing too.

I know stuff breaks, I get it. Yes it under warranty. Not going to cost me. Got it. But I don't have that trusting feeling anymore. Two major tear downs in 8 months is not the kind of sign I'm looking for in a new bike, at any price. Don't want to sell it as I really like how this one works but I don't want something that I can't trust either. I don't see anything I'd rather have as a replacement either. New wethead? This one was supposed to be the best of this line, don't want to product test a new one.

Guess I just let them fix it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do after though. Any insight on a course of action? I know I'm getting all the faults out now then it will be a rock forever more. If I only knew that to be true. Yes I know you can never know. Just bummed out.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...

Thunder Pig screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 06:55 AM
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
That sucks. These bikes cost a lot of money. Sucks big time when they don't work as well as they should. Hope your back on the rode quickly.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
Don't need to take the engine apart to replace the crank seal and that's probably the leak if it's engine oil. You do of course need to remove the tranny, but it's not THAT big of a job for a BMW shop.

Do you get a loaner bike when yours is in the shop?

I really like the Rallye, I'd like one. Sorry for all your troubles, it's just not right.

I'm a BMW fan, but lately I have been looking for something else. The reliability factor seems to be waning with BMW, yes you get a warranty it's built in the high initial cost, but you want a 'bike' not a 'warranty'....you can't ride a warranty.

I expect this thread won't turn in to the threadfest that the Wethead failure did.

What's to be done? I guess keep documents and dates, get on the phone to BMW Corporate, make sure you get a loaner bike, and suck it up like a Man.....that's what a lot of people told OZ the Wethead.

The claim was "BMW was doing their best"......the 'dealer did him right"......."what did he expect?"........."nothing to complain about"....etc.

Too bad.

I'm subscribed, be interesting to read what the same people on the Wethead failure thread have to say.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help

TUCKERS screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:22 AM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The only loaner I get is whatever demo bike they have and then only for that day, can't go home on it, so effectively no loaner bike.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
I would trade it in right now...let the dealer own it, and I would go riding. Life is too short for screwing around with it.
So far the LC looks pretty good. Big forum and only one problem that is substantiated.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
It looks and smells like engine oil, so thinking crank seal or whatever else is there that I don't know about. Does the engine have to come apart to replace these? Clutch probably oiled up so that needs replacing too.
Sorry to hear of your bike's troubles, that sucks on a new vehicle.

Coincidentally, my riding buddy picked up a 2012 Rallye new last fall and within 1,000 miles found a leaking rear main seal like yours. He was very bummed out too, and the dealer had to split his bike to replace the seal (engine doesn't have to come apart, as the seal is accessed from the rear once the gearbox and clutch are removed).

Within another 1,000 miles the leak returned and he was understandably very upset and ready to sell the bike. We talked it through, and he decided to let another dealer go into it the second time and see what happened. Turned out this time to be the balance shaft seal that the first technician hadn't installed quite right when he did the rear main seal. The clutch was fine both times because the leak had been caught very early, and all of the work was of course done under warranty.

He has over 6k miles on the bike now with no more issues, and during our recent TX trip he kept saying how glad he was to stick it out because he loves the bike and there is really nothing else out there that interests him. He bought it after racking up 115k miles on an R1150GSA and more miles on many other bikes.

Hopefully your bike will get sorted soon too and you can get back to enjoying it.
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
PNWRR
Carlos Anger

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post

I don't see anything I'd rather have as a replacement either. New wethead? This one was supposed to be the best of this line, don't want to product test a new one.

Ask for a new wethead as a loaner. You'll be pleasantly suprised.

PNWRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
TUCKERS
the famous james

Man, if I get a new bike I'd like to make sure a loaner was included in the warranty.

You make payments for a bike in the shop! That sucks.

Second time around two...sucks twice as bad.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I would guess that loaners are the dealers responsibility. Otherwise it would be stated in the warranty so I don't think I can demand one. This is a new dealership, about a year, and they don't have a loaner fleet like some huge well established dealer may. They don't even have used bikes as they wholesale them out. So that I get to use to a demo bike during the day is about all that I can expect. Now if there were BMW dealers all over the area there would more dealer to choose from and I may have gone there instead. Since they are the only game in town, and new at that, I get less options. The living away from big city penalty, benefit.

I could trade it but the hit would be too much for my wallet to absorb as this bike stretched it as it was.

My hope is this is the last issue and it will be fine from now on. If not it will be sold and replaced with something cheaper or start saving again till something else is with in range. I just have to trust they will get it right and stand behind it and it will be worth it in the long run.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Sounds reasonable. Good luck on this.
RA & MOA #224
Old 04-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
TUCKERS
the famous james

Well you can't DEMAND anything, it's fruitless.

You could point out to BMWNA that this is the second time around and a replacement useable bike would go a long way in making this a better situation.

It's perhaps not the dealers fault, or again perhaps it is if the initial repair wasn't done correctly, fully.

As this thread unfolds we will see the full gamut of 'things break'...'it's a machine'.....'get over it'......and etc ad nauseum.....

still, for all intents and purposes you are without a bike you paid/paying for.....I just don't understand how that works I guess

Are we saying it just comes with the territory? Your newish machine breaks, stuff breaks, it's under warranty...get it fixed? What if this is your only source of transportation..could be the case.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Your right. Guess I just make some requests. If this was a car they would have rented me a car till it was fixed. But again that's a large volume dealer that can afford it. Guess another option is see if my insurance has coverage for this case. Either way I have other transportation so that isn't such an issue. Maybe can get some money toward whatever. In the mean time the ball is in their court. I guess I'll see what they say the problem is and what they are going to do about it.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
subscribed

I am also curious how it turns out. I have a Rally as well but, knock on wood (head) nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

My girl has an 09 G650GS and I am having an incredible time with the dealers. there are two and both of them seem to always do a half way job. bolts are loose or way to tight. Clutch cable boots are not replaced when the clutch cable is etc. they replaced the handlebars and had the bar end bolt so tight the throttle would not return and had to be closed manually (rolled forward by hand) I mean that is pretty basic. I am left with the real feeling that the the dealers can do the basic work but the fit and finish is shoddy.

I don't know your situation with your dealer nor do I have enough mechanical knowledge of the bikes to know but is this something that could have resulted from the dealers quality of work on the transmission swap. The bikes may be great but if I can't get a dealer that will bother to pay attention when they are doing something what is the point.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
I am also curious how it turns out. I have a Rally as well but, knock on wood (head) nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

My girl has an 09 G650GS and I am having an incredible time with the dealers. there are two and both of them seem to always do a half way job. bolts are loose or way to tight. Clutch cable boots are not replaced when the clutch cable is etc. they replaced the handlebars and had the bar end bolt so tight the throttle would not return and had to be closed manually (rolled forward by hand) I mean that is pretty basic. I am left with the real feeling that the the dealers can do the basic work but the fit and finish is shoddy.

I don't know your situation with your dealer nor do I have enough mechanical knowledge of the bikes to know but is this something that could have resulted from the dealers quality of work on the transmission swap. The bikes may be great but if I can't get a dealer that will bother to pay attention when they are doing something what is the point.
Are they KS and StL? Surprised if so because both those are usually top notch. I hear many good things about StL these days.
RA & MOA #224
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I would have to guess that since it is, or looks like, engine oil it wouldn't be related. But could something been damaged on the install? Don't know. It has gone about 3500 miles since the trans was replaced so I would think it would show sooner if it was something they did. Not sure on interface between trans and engine if it is easy to damage something on the engine by not being carefull or just not giving a crap and slaming it together. The dealership is new but the mechanics aren't, they came from other established dealers out of state. Now did they get lured by the nice weather and beaches or did they suck and get asked to leave? Don't know that either. I know I trust the guy I always use, he's not every fast but only does the job once, plus he works for free! Since this is under warranty I, I mean he doesn't get to do the work this time. I would like to inspect the insides once it is split to see what the damage is and see if it was caused by bad luck or bad mechanics! Probably won't get to though, need to hide the evidence?
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...