Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
The only 'interface' that holds engine oil is the main seal, also counter balance seal there is no oil in the bell housing.

Also a seal on the gearbox input shaft if it's gear oil and not engine oil.

Pretty easy to damage any seal on assembly, especially the counter balance seal when installing the counter balance shaft.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help

TUCKERS screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 01:33 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Oil loss is/was minimal as I caught it before it even dripped on the floor. It does show around several seams weaping and some drips on the starter. Oil level in sight glass hasn't dropped a noticable amount. Guess I could check tran oil level, not sure exacty how though. Does it have a level hole, take a bolt out if it comes out its ok?
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
I would have to guess that since it is, or looks like, engine oil it wouldn't be related. But could something been damaged on the install? Don't know. It has gone about 3500 miles since the trans was replaced so I would think it would show sooner if it was something they did. Not sure on interface between trans and engine if it is easy to damage something on the engine by not being carefull or just not giving a crap and slaming it together. The dealership is new but the mechanics aren't, they came from other established dealers out of state. Now did they get lured by the nice weather and beaches or did they suck and get asked to leave? Don't know that either. I know I trust the guy I always use, he's not every fast but only does the job once, plus he works for free! Since this is under warranty I, I mean he doesn't get to do the work this time. I would like to inspect the insides once it is split to see what the damage is and see if it was caused by bad luck or bad mechanics! Probably won't get to though, need to hide the evidence?
Considering the frequent occurrence of engine rear seal leaks, I would err on the side of BMW, not the mechanic. I had rear engine leaks on BMW since 1973 on most every BMW I owned. Not recently on the K1200Ses since there is no seal :)
I have a 2012 GS now also and I live in fear and apprehension...
I cannot think of any easy way to damage the rear engine seal unless you are installing it incorrectly.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
If it's that type of oil loss you will be hard put to measure it unless there is a crap load in the bell housing, and it's leaking more than you think.

So no measureable engine oil loss? H'mm?

Perhaps it's tranny oil then after all? Pretty hard to measure unless a crap load has escaped. Yes there is a plug.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #20
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Oil loss is/was minimal as I caught it before it even dripped on the floor. It does show around several seams weaping and some drips on the starter. Oil level in sight glass hasn't dropped a noticable amount. Guess I could check tran oil level, not sure exacty how though. Does it have a level hole, take a bolt out if it comes out its ok?
I think the trans level is level with the fill hole. If it runs out, then it is as it used to be for level. The repair/maintenance dvd says bottom thread of fill hole and also says 900 ml.
A tablespoon of oil looks like a lot when dripping off the rear ledge of the rear seal area. You probably would not see the change in the sight window. I think the window is about 0.5 liter top to bottom. That's a bit over 16.9 oz. That's a lot!
RA & MOA #224
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
These are great bikes, but if you get a bad one, you can be out of a bike for some time. My buddy had problems with his new bike and it was at the dealer for over a month waiting on parts from Germany. Dealers don't to Multi-day loaners so they gave him a gift card for the amount of his monthly payment. I'd prefer cash because who wants to buy overpriced accessories at a dealer? I've had great luck with my '11 GSA, but I would've bought a Tenere had they been available at the time I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I got caught in a rain storm and washed away the evidence. Just have to keep riding it and watch for more leaks.

The tranny oil level, is that checked on the center stand or on the wheels held upright?

The amount of oil leaked so far isn't a lot, it's just visible in several locations so even if it is engine oil it's only a tablespoon or so and probably not visible in the oil sight glass yet.

Even if it is only a tablespoon that's too much!

Hopefully I don't have a "bad one" and I wouldn't think it would take that long to get and install a seal or two. But I'll remember the gift card equal to a months payment, good idea.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
Trans get checked on the centerstand. Sounds like you have not brought this to the attention of a dealer. You probably should let them know what you saw, so you have a date and mileage on record. In writing is good. IF they offer to repair it now, great. Otherwise, just drive it until you can't then use your warranty to repair it. Nothing wrong about getting a new clutch and free service on a bike with 25,000 to 30,000 miles. I wouldn't sell it now or trade it in......your going to take a pretty good bath, especially with the WC bikes coming out. Never having owned a new BMW, I can't put myself in your shoes.......and that is probably one of the reason I have not bought a new one. Hope it all works out for you..........

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
jackhammer50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Well I got caught in a rain storm and washed away the evidence. Just have to keep riding it and watch for more leaks.

Hopefully I don't have a "bad one" and I wouldn't think it would take that long to get and install a seal or two. But I'll remember the gift card equal to a months payment, good idea.
Hey Ted, Where do you usually ride around here? Ever get up to Blackwater? i just got a new (12) GS from the same dealer. The service dept seems to know their stuff... at least to me.
jackhammer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #25
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
I would have to guess that since it is, or looks like, engine oil it wouldn't be related. But could something been damaged on the install? Don't know. It has gone about 3500 miles since the trans was replaced so I would think it would show sooner if it was something they did. Not sure on interface between trans and engine if it is easy to damage something on the engine by not being carefull or just not giving a crap and slaming it together. The dealership is new but the mechanics aren't, they came from other established dealers out of state. Now did they get lured by the nice weather and beaches or did they suck and get asked to leave? Don't know that either. I know I trust the guy I always use, he's not every fast but only does the job once, plus he works for free! Since this is under warranty I, I mean he doesn't get to do the work this time. I would like to inspect the insides once it is split to see what the damage is and see if it was caused by bad luck or bad mechanics! Probably won't get to though, need to hide the evidence?
with it going so long since the trany replace I would not suspect they are related either. I would say you answered my question when you said that you trust them and he does a good job. when you can't see the insides you have to go from an evaluation of what you can see fit and finish, or what ever details you can see etc.

tell them you would like to see the insides I see no reason why they would say no. so long as you are not trying to have them keep it split open for a couple of days in there garage while you wonder by. most of the time the good ones are very willing to show you how it all works etc.. I also like this.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #26
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Are they KS and StL? Surprised if so because both those are usually top notch. I hear many good things about StL these days.
I haven't contacted the dealer yet (where closed) I will talk with them today and give them a chance to respond, that is only fair, before I go to far. but I will tell the story. Ill kick off another thread when I do that. I have also only heard good things about both of those dealers. for that mater all three dealers in MO, there is one in Cape Geradu MO as well.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #27
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

JackH;
I ride where ever the wind or rain takes me. Yeah I ride in Blackwater, used to all the time but riding partner doen't leave his bike around here much so stopped. I went with a group out of Milton once on their Sunday rides, mostly real dirt bikes. I think I heald my own and maybe turn a few heads. Would like to go more! PM me and we'll make a plan!

Yeah I think they are pretty good group and don't my issues are related to the dealer at all actually.

Gezerbike, I have brought it to the dealers attention and have an appointment this Friday to have it fixed or blessed or duely noted. May just drop in today and let them check it out as any excuse to ride somewhere is a good one. I have been kicking it around and I'm going to keep it and just ride it. If this is the last issue I have then it's all good. I have never owned a BMW before and was hoping for a better experience, but it's early in the game. Get the gremlins out now!
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #28
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Faith restored!

I went to my local dealer and had the mechanic take a look. He stuck a finger in the oil and took a sniff. He asked me if the bike had been on it's left side recently. I replied why yes it did take a dirt nap earlier in the day that I noticed the oil leakage. He took me over to a transmission for a GS that was apart and pointed to a small black plastic widget on the top of the tranny. "This is the vent for the trans. Since the trans vent is not in the center, because of the shape of the trans, if it is layed on the left side oil can come out of the vent and run down the engine just like what you have here." (Light bulb comes on over my head) I ask about smell of the oil not being stinky and he said the newer trans oil doesn't have the strong smell of the old gear lube. He recommended do a though cleaning, check trans fluid level and check to see if level changes or more seepage happens then we can do more checking and pulling apart as needed.

So I learned another GS qwerk. Never had a bike where the oil could leak oil out the trans vent. Now this guy could have been totally full of it, but it makes sense and it fits the situation. Now I just have to clean it, note the oil levels and ride it and watch what happens.

Bottom line, bike doesn't appear broken and the trouble free streak can contiune from the trans replacement at 1k miles, at 5k now. Best possible result in my book, except I didn't get any free stuff. Got free advise, get a AirHawk to make seat comfortable.

I hope this will put this issue to bed.

Now someone can chime in about how that can't possible be right because they never use the stand and just lay their bike on the left side and it never leaks. Look forward to hearing about it as I may learn something new and I haven't learned anything new today and I have a quota of one new thing per day.

How do you wash these things anyway, it not in the manual or the FAQ?
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #29
cjack
Studly Adventurer

You don't wash a GS. I went to a BMW Service Manager school once where the instructor advised the dealers to wash the customers' bikes before returning them after maintenance. And one of the guys told a story about a customer of theirs that got really ticked off when they washed his GS. He remarked that it took 2 years of not washing it to get it looking right!
RA & MOA #224
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #30
Thunder Pig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So riding in the rain and splashing puddles is not washing and therefore allowable correct?
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...