User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
950 Front Axle Problems

Firstly, I have searched and read but still seek enlightenment. I have just spent half a day getting the front axle out of my 2005 950 - first time since I've had the bike. I pre-installed a puller as well.
Having driven it out with a timber drift I managed to avoid buggering it up
It wasn't very well greased but not dry either and I'm struggling to see why it was so hard to get out.
I'm thinking that the forks aren't lined up very well. Can anyone give me the drill for proper alignment so that I can set everything up just right before putting it back together.
Thanks,
Paul.
ipaulog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Check the H.O.W.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Suspensio...orkleg_rr.html

Look halfway down that page to where "very important" is typed in red. I haven't used this exact procedure, but something very similar. I believe the important thing is making sure the axle is centered in the forks and turns smoothly before buttoning everything up.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaulog View Post
I pre-installed a puller as well.
If you installed one of those Zip-Ty type pullers that has the two part thing that expands like a bar-end weight, that can actually expand the axle if tightened too tight. I installed a CJDesigns pusher in a new axle recently. That seems to work well.

I do find it very hard at times to line everything up with the dual front disks on these bikes and get that axle in. Make sure you go back with a lot of grease.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,284
What makes it MUCH easier to get out is... Once the pinch bolts have been loosened, a flat blade tapped into each forks' pinch space makes all the difference

Old 04-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
What makes it MUCH easier to get out is... Once the pinch bolts have been loosened, a flat blade tapped into each forks' pinch space makes all the difference

+1. Yep, that helps A LOT.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
Yes. But.

It can mask a misalignment issue. The goal is easy, no-resistance installation. If it requres force, it might be misaligned.

In practice, however, I wedge the pinch all the time.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the help. The puller I installed is an interference fit and I did open the pinch space. I will be greasing well but I want to know that it will come out easily when it matters. I will follow the "very important" guide from cpmodem and see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
In Orangecicle's photo, do you see the exposed portion of the axle?

That part corrodes, making it tough to push through the fork, in my experience.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
tha black coating can be sticky. I take some or all off with a scotchbrite pad and keep it coated in grease. easy in and out without tools oter than spanners.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

It doesnt seem badly corroded and it had to be driven out along the entire length. I'm just cleaning everything up and checking alignment and then I'll know better.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,044
If you had to persuade it out nearly the entire length then the issue is the spacer inside the wheel hub. Once the axle is moved to the right a couple inches it is free of both the fork clamps and the only thing it has contact with at that point it the spacer. Check the spacer and bearing inner diameters for corrosion.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #12
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
If you had to persuade it out nearly the entire length then the issue is the spacer inside the wheel hub. Once the axle is moved to the right a couple inches it is free of both the fork clamps and the only thing it has contact with at that point it the spacer. Check the spacer and bearing inner diameters for corrosion.
Well the spacer is immaculate and doesn't come into contact with the axle as far as I can see as it is a couple of mm larger internal diameter than the bearings. The bearings themselves feel good and smooth but the inner surface is nice on the puller side but very rough on the nut side - to the point where I can't push the axle through the wrong way by hand! That doesn't explain why it was difficult after that point though.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaulog View Post
Well the spacer is immaculate and doesn't come into contact with the axle as far as I can see as it is a couple of mm larger internal diameter than the bearings. The bearings themselves feel good and smooth but the inner surface is nice on the puller side but very rough on the nut side - to the point where I can't push the axle through the wrong way by hand! That doesn't explain why it was difficult after that point though.

I would remove the bearing/s and replace if the inner surface couldn't be cleaned up enough to let the axle pass through smoothly. In any case this is where your issue is stemming from, not the forks. If it were a fork alignment issue, once the large diameter of the axle was free, the axle would slide out easily.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I would remove the bearing/s and replace if the inner surface couldn't be cleaned up enough to let the axle pass through smoothly. In any case this is where your issue is stemming from, not the forks. If it were a fork alignment issue, once the large diameter of the axle was free, the axle would slide out easily.
Agreed. I'm ordering new bearings, cleaning everything up and putting it all back together carefully. Glad I was at home when I encountered this problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,757
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
tha black coating can be sticky. I take some or all off with a scotchbrite pad and keep it coated in grease. easy in and out without tools oter than spanners.
This was a problem with early bikes. That black sticky coating was trouble. I removed it with sandpaper and grease thoroughly. I also fabricaled a cylinder that bolts in the axle and can be taped to drive the axle out.
Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote