ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 674
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia

20 days in Europe on a 2013 R1200 GSW
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia


Okay experienced adventures, doing a marathon ride, eat, sleep, photo and write starting May 18<sup>th</sup> from Munich. If you have a favorite restaurant, hotel, must see village, ruin, etc. and any back roads (prefer paved since I am two-up) I will be leaving from Munich and stopping, more or less in the following cities:
Lienz; Bolzano; St. Moritz; Bellagio; Chinque Terre; Siena; Ancona(Ferry); Split; Pilitvik Jez.; Opatia; Klangenfurt and Munich. The only section I have not traveled is from Bellagio to Pisa, but I am always looking for traveler’s experiences at very cool, less traveled locales.


Ciao, Mike
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
racer
Beastly Adventurer
 
racer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 1,522
Been there and done that several times. Really good riding up in the mountains. There's no way to read the signage in Slovenia. Good luck.
__________________
Every bike I ever owned, was the best bike I ever owned when I owned it. Well, except for that one Harley
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 674
Slovenia Mania

Reading them not a problem, matching 5 or 6 villages on a sign post that don't appear on any map or your GPS is the real trick. Fortunately I have my own tracks and waypoints. Still, as you know, you can easily find yourself coming back to a roundabout many times looking for the right road. Something I found useful was using my map and pre-written index card in the native language that says I am lost and trying to get to the city on my map and where am I - has gotten me to my destination. No trip is complete until you get properly lost.

No favorite spots?


qUOTE=racer;21286675]Been there and done that several times. Really good riding up in the mountains. There's no way to read the signage in Slovenia. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer
 
T-cosmic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Split,Croatia
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
20 days in Europe on a 2013 R1200 GSW
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia


Okay experienced adventures, doing a marathon ride, eat, sleep, photo and write starting May 18<sup>th</sup> from Munich. If you have a favorite restaurant, hotel, must see village, ruin, etc. and any back roads (prefer paved since I am two-up) I will be leaving from Munich and stopping, more or less in the following cities:
Lienz; Bolzano; St. Moritz; Bellagio; Chinque Terre; Siena; Ancona(Ferry); Split; Pilitvik Jez.; Opatia; Klangenfurt and Munich. The only section I have not traveled is from Bellagio to Pisa, but I am always looking for traveler’s experiences at very cool, less traveled locales.


Ciao, Mike
I can give you few suggestions for Croatia... What period are we talking about? How fast you need to get from Split to Plitvice?
T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer
 
RTLover's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: West-central France
Oddometer: 3,355
Bellagio-Pisa: Once you're out of sight of Lake Como, go as quickly as you can down the A1 to south of Modena. What you want to key on is the SS12. IIRC, you should take the A1 exit 19 and then head toward Maranello. There's a little factory of specialty cars that might be of interest. From there it's a short hop to SS12 that will take you to Pisa via Lucca. If you see this, you're on the right road.

__________________
R1200RT
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer
 
MichaelJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Sterling, Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 2,074
Are you avoiding the Dolomites for some specific reason?
__________________
Michael J.
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 674
From Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
I can give you few suggestions for Croatia... What period are we talking about? How fast you need to get from Split to Plitvice?
We are spending two nights in Split, then I figured one day to Plitvick Jez. where we will overnight at the hotel within walking distance to the lakes. Probably be in Split 28/29 of May.
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
20 days in Europe on a 2013 R1200 GSW
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia


Okay experienced adventures, doing a marathon ride, eat, sleep, photo and write starting May 18<sup>th</sup> from Munich. If you have a favorite restaurant, hotel, must see village, ruin, etc. and any back roads (prefer paved since I am two-up) I will be leaving from Munich and stopping, more or less in the following cities:
Lienz; Bolzano; St. Moritz; Bellagio; Chinque Terre; Siena; Ancona(Ferry); Split; Pilitvik Jez.; Opatia; Klangenfurt and Munich. The only section I have not traveled is from Bellagio to Pisa, but I am always looking for traveler’s experiences at very cool, less traveled locales.


Ciao, Mike
Hachsenbauer in München for some world class pork. If you find yourself in Salzburg there is a delightful hotel/restaurant called the Goldener Hirsch. You will have a blast. Saludos, jim
__________________
Guero from Texas
COHVCO
AMA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Cerberus83
The Wingman
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
We are spending two nights in Split, then I figured one day to Plitvick Jez. where we will overnight at the hotel within walking distance to the lakes. Probably be in Split 28/29 of May.
With 2 days in Split, I would take the ferry to the islands (Hvar/Brac) for 1/2 day.

Not sure how many days you're planning to spend in Croatia, but I would recommend you riding up the coast vs. taking the highway (A1) and same is true going from the lakes to Opatia.
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 674
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
With 2 days in Split, I would take the ferry to the islands (Hvar/Brac) for 1/2 day.

Not sure how many days you're planning to spend in Croatia, but I would recommend you riding up the coast vs. taking the highway (A1) and same is true going from the lakes to Opatia.
Thanks, I will probably take a road through the park from Plitvicka Jezera and take back roads over to Optia. Plan to hang a few days there and do a day ride to Pula, Porec, Pazin, etc. Very cool peninsula and some great coast line views. I have done some island ferry hops, wasn't very impressed with the islands, but I haven't been on Brac.... I'll be knocking around Croitia & Slovenia for 8 days + or -.
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 674
Awesome

I'll put them on my to do list, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Hachsenbauer in München for some world class pork. If you find yourself in Salzburg there is a delightful hotel/restaurant called the Goldener Hirsch. You will have a blast. Saludos, jim
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 674
Dolemites

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Are you avoiding the Dolomites for some specific reason?
Actually, plan on riding part of them on the way to Bolzano; spend two nights there so I have a full day to do a proper loop before we head west to Stelvio, et.al. on the way to St. Moritz. From Moritz, we will work north to Andermatt to catch a few more Alpine Passes, then work south to Bellagio. While I can't ride them all this trip, I am going to cover a significant amount of the Alps in Austria, Italy and Switzerland. After that. I'm giving my wife a break through Italy, Croatia and Slovenia. I will probably catch a few more smaller mountain routes between Austria and Slovenia on the way back to Munich.
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 674
RT Lover

Thanks, I will check it out, great photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Bellagio-Pisa: Once you're out of sight of Lake Como, go as quickly as you can down the A1 to south of Modena. What you want to key on is the SS12. IIRC, you should take the A1 exit 19 and then head toward Maranello. There's a little factory of specialty cars that might be of interest. From there it's a short hop to SS12 that will take you to Pisa via Lucca. If you see this, you're on the right road.

__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer
 
T-cosmic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Split,Croatia
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
We are spending two nights in Split, then I figured one day to Plitvick Jez. where we will overnight at the hotel within walking distance to the lakes. Probably be in Split 28/29 of May.
That's soon. I made up a route for you. I'll post it later on when i put my hands on PC. Well i asked, cause the costal route is nice, but very busy in the Hi seazon. End of may it's still ok but from Split to Zadar is quite boring. Therefore i suggest the route trough main land to Plitvice. I like that route a lot. From Plitvice the best thing to do is to ride on the lovely countryside road via mountain pass "Vratnik" back to the coast. Like i said, i'll post it later on. Oh, no highway bs is intended. :)


©
__________________
Share the best off road tracks you have ever ridden on www.adv-tracks.com
T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Cerberus83
The Wingman
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
Thanks, I will probably take a road through the park from Plitvicka Jezera and take back roads over to Optia. Plan to hang a few days there and do a day ride to Pula, Porec, Pazin, etc. Very cool peninsula and some great coast line views. I have done some island ferry hops, wasn't very impressed with the islands, but I haven't been on Brac.... I'll be knocking around Croitia & Slovenia for 8 days + or -.
Brac is pretty nice and it's cool for a quick getaway from the city (than again, you're on the Adriatic so it doesn't matter ;)). On your way from Split to PL, stop by in Trogir. Really cool city (actually an island) that's connected by the bridge.

Istra (or Istria in English, I suppose) is gorgeous and on your way to Opatia, I would definitely recommend stopping in Rovinj. If I had to compare it to another coastal city in Croatia, I guess it would be "Dubrovink of the North."
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014