Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia

20 days in Europe on a 2013 R1200 GSW

Okay experienced adventures, doing a marathon ride, eat, sleep, photo and write starting May 18<sup>th</sup> from Munich. If you have a favorite restaurant, hotel, must see village, ruin, etc. and any back roads (prefer paved since I am two-up) I will be leaving from Munich and stopping, more or less in the following cities:
Lienz; Bolzano; St. Moritz; Bellagio; Chinque Terre; Siena; Ancona(Ferry); Split; Pilitvik Jez.; Opatia; Klangenfurt and Munich. The only section I have not traveled is from Bellagio to Pisa, but I am always looking for traveler’s experiences at very cool, less traveled locales.

Ciao, Mike
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Been there and done that several times. Really good riding up in the mountains. There's no way to read the signage in Slovenia. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer

Slovenia Mania

Reading them not a problem, matching 5 or 6 villages on a sign post that don't appear on any map or your GPS is the real trick. Fortunately I have my own tracks and waypoints. Still, as you know, you can easily find yourself coming back to a roundabout many times looking for the right road. Something I found useful was using my map and pre-written index card in the native language that says I am lost and trying to get to the city on my map and where am I - has gotten me to my destination. No trip is complete until you get properly lost.

No favorite spots?

qUOTE=racer;21286675]Been there and done that several times. Really good riding up in the mountains. There's no way to read the signage in Slovenia. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post

Okay experienced adventures, doing a marathon ride, eat, sleep, photo and write starting May 18<sup>th</sup> from Munich. If you have a favorite restaurant, hotel, must see village, ruin, etc. and any back roads (prefer paved since I am two-up) I will be leaving from Munich and stopping, more or less in the following cities:
Lienz; Bolzano; St. Moritz; Bellagio; Chinque Terre; Siena; Ancona(Ferry); Split; Pilitvik Jez.; Opatia; Klangenfurt and Munich. The only section I have not traveled is from Bellagio to Pisa, but I am always looking for traveler’s experiences at very cool, less traveled locales.

Ciao, Mike
I can give you few suggestions for Croatia... What period are we talking about? How fast you need to get from Split to Plitvice?
T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Bellagio-Pisa: Once you're out of sight of Lake Como, go as quickly as you can down the A1 to south of Modena. What you want to key on is the SS12. IIRC, you should take the A1 exit 19 and then head toward Maranello. There's a little factory of specialty cars that might be of interest. From there it's a short hop to SS12 that will take you to Pisa via Lucca. If you see this, you're on the right road.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Are you avoiding the Dolomites for some specific reason?
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer

From Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
I can give you few suggestions for Croatia... What period are we talking about? How fast you need to get from Split to Plitvice?
We are spending two nights in Split, then I figured one day to Plitvick Jez. where we will overnight at the hotel within walking distance to the lakes. Probably be in Split 28/29 of May.
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:

Ciao, Mike
Hachsenbauer in München for some world class pork. If you find yourself in Salzburg there is a delightful hotel/restaurant called the Goldener Hirsch. You will have a blast. Saludos, jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
We are spending two nights in Split, then I figured one day to Plitvick Jez. where we will overnight at the hotel within walking distance to the lakes. Probably be in Split 28/29 of May.
With 2 days in Split, I would take the ferry to the islands (Hvar/Brac) for 1/2 day.

Not sure how many days you're planning to spend in Croatia, but I would recommend you riding up the coast vs. taking the highway (A1) and same is true going from the lakes to Opatia.
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
With 2 days in Split, I would take the ferry to the islands (Hvar/Brac) for 1/2 day.

Not sure how many days you're planning to spend in Croatia, but I would recommend you riding up the coast vs. taking the highway (A1) and same is true going from the lakes to Opatia.
Thanks, I will probably take a road through the park from Plitvicka Jezera and take back roads over to Optia. Plan to hang a few days there and do a day ride to Pula, Porec, Pazin, etc. Very cool peninsula and some great coast line views. I have done some island ferry hops, wasn't very impressed with the islands, but I haven't been on Brac.... I'll be knocking around Croitia & Slovenia for 8 days + or -.
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer

Awesome

I'll put them on my to do list, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Hachsenbauer in München for some world class pork. If you find yourself in Salzburg there is a delightful hotel/restaurant called the Goldener Hirsch. You will have a blast. Saludos, jim
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer

Dolemites

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Are you avoiding the Dolomites for some specific reason?
Actually, plan on riding part of them on the way to Bolzano; spend two nights there so I have a full day to do a proper loop before we head west to Stelvio, et.al. on the way to St. Moritz. From Moritz, we will work north to Andermatt to catch a few more Alpine Passes, then work south to Bellagio. While I can't ride them all this trip, I am going to cover a significant amount of the Alps in Austria, Italy and Switzerland. After that. I'm giving my wife a break through Italy, Croatia and Slovenia. I will probably catch a few more smaller mountain routes between Austria and Slovenia on the way back to Munich.
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
ztrab OP
Studly Adventurer

RT Lover

Thanks, I will check it out, great photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Bellagio-Pisa: Once you're out of sight of Lake Como, go as quickly as you can down the A1 to south of Modena. What you want to key on is the SS12. IIRC, you should take the A1 exit 19 and then head toward Maranello. There's a little factory of specialty cars that might be of interest. From there it's a short hop to SS12 that will take you to Pisa via Lucca. If you see this, you're on the right road.

06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
That's soon. I made up a route for you. I'll post it later on when i put my hands on PC. Well i asked, cause the costal route is nice, but very busy in the Hi seazon. End of may it's still ok but from Split to Zadar is quite boring. Therefore i suggest the route trough main land to Plitvice. I like that route a lot. From Plitvice the best thing to do is to ride on the lovely countryside road via mountain pass "Vratnik" back to the coast. Like i said, i'll post it later on. Oh, no highway bs is intended. :)

©
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Thanks, I will probably take a road through the park from Plitvicka Jezera and take back roads over to Optia. Plan to hang a few days there and do a day ride to Pula, Porec, Pazin, etc. Very cool peninsula and some great coast line views. I have done some island ferry hops, wasn't very impressed with the islands, but I haven't been on Brac.... I'll be knocking around Croitia & Slovenia for 8 days + or -.
Brac is pretty nice and it's cool for a quick getaway from the city (than again, you're on the Adriatic so it doesn't matter ;)). On your way from Split to PL, stop by in Trogir. Really cool city (actually an island) that's connected by the bridge.

Istra (or Istria in English, I suppose) is gorgeous and on your way to Opatia, I would definitely recommend stopping in Rovinj. If I had to compare it to another coastal city in Croatia, I guess it would be "Dubrovink of the North."
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote