Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,486
Jacket -- even when the temps rise to the point I don't need heat, the extra insulation of the jacket makes it a bit more flexible a piece of gear.

If I lived in San Deigo, and didn't go far, a vest would likely suffice.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Well, I like a Widder electric vest but it's because my bike is "electrically challenged" or in other words can't supply the needed electrons to power a jacket. It also fits fine underneath my jackets or my one-piece suit whereas the heated jacket might be a little snug on the arms, but the jackets and the suits are sometimes adjustable on the sleeves tightness too.
Tony
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
If I'm heating, I want the heat against me. I'm not interested in keeping my jacket warm and comfortable, I want to keep me warm and comfortable.

I've had and used an old Wider vest for years. It's worked quite well. A wee bit snug, which helps ensure I get the heat, not my jacket.

That said, experimenting with the newer IR heating stuff was quite interesting. More heat, more effectively, less wattage. All good things, imo.

Then too, I've become more of a wimp as I've aged. If it's cold and wet and icky out there, I'm a lot less inclined to go riding than I used to.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookybird View Post
One of the benefits of the jacket is that the sleeves carry the wiring for the gloves
This. I have heated glove liners that I rarely use since I have heated grips but when I do need them they are invaluable.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,274
No question, if you are going through the expense and added plugs of putting on electric heat, go with a jacket.

The new ones are light years better than the old ones and it's amazing how much difference it is to have your arms warmed. Plus the ease to attach electric gloves and the difference those make.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 801
I like my Aerostich jacket because you can wear it fleece side in when you need less heat and reverse to nylon side in if it's real cold. I never ride street or dual sport with out taking it.

DYNOBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #22
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,835
I got my first E-Vest back in the early 90's
I got my first E-jacket last year.

Vest
Pros: Small, easy to bring with you, keeps your core warm, less binding around the arms and less overstuffed feeling, less power consumption
Cons: not as warm, cold arms, goofy styling on the older ones
Jacket
Pros: Warmer, can wear as jacket off the bike,
Cons: Way more bulk and weight, more power consumption, finding the right jacket took me a couple of years.

I still have and use both, I'm the kind of rider that when I need to heat, I NEED HEAT so the jacket does get used more often then the vest does,

But for warmer cooler weather (Like 50-60 degrees 50 miles at 70MPH) the vest works great, much below that it's time to break out the jacket.

With either make sure you get one that fits close to your body over a light to mid weight shirt, then put your insulation layer over the vest, that will keep you warmer regardless of which style you end up with.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
All I've ever owned and used it a Tourmaster vest and it keeps me toasty warm well below freezing. I wear it beneath a Tourmaster epic jacket. I'm sure a full jacket liner is even warmer but I'm perfectly happy down into the 20s.
bracky72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
Vstrom650e
Banned

Oddometer: 101
I was thinking of getting a Gerbings liner for myself and my wife.
Vstrom650e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #25
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
I have a vest and a jacket. I ended up gettin g a vest 1st because the wattage it used was less and I needed every extra watt I could save because I was using it on a dual sport {DR650 and now a XR650}. Secondly, I would be using the vests two up on a FJR and once again, was pressed for wattage {two vests, heated grips and gloves add up}.

Later I bought a jacket and I can tell you each has their merits. Obviously, if your bike is wattage challenged you will be wanting to save every watt and you can nearly run a vest and gloves/heated grips as opposed to the jacket.

If your bike has plenty of extra electrical output, there is still a use for the vest over the jacket,,,,, it's just alot less bulky. I can wad up my vest in a small stuff sack and keep it tucked away on the bike during the spring and fall months. It may not be so cold that you would be tempted to carry the jacket but it sure is nice to have at least the vest when it gets chippy when you stayed out too long or the temps dropped. Also takes up less room when going on a long trip. Alaska or the Trans Lab in summer might be tempting to leave the jacket at home but it do get cold up there.

The vest also fits better under normal summer type riding apparel. Try stuffing an electric jacket under one piece leathers for an early season track day and you will see what I mean.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #26
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,967
If you do get a vest get one with a collar.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #27
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
I have an exo2 and find this vest much more versatile and less bulky than any of the full jacket liner options. Worn under a good jacket and over a thin base layer, I've never missed having heated sleeves.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #28
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
I ride down to 32F. A jacket liner is a lot more versatile and only costs a small amount more. The high, heated collar keeps your neck and head warm. The long sleeves heat your arms and provide a place to plug your heated gloves in without stringing extra wires under your jacket. Do consider a dual channel temp controller so you can add gloves latter. Also consider the optional $10 pouch for the controller to make it easier to adjust the temp while you ride. IMO Gerbings and Warm & Safe are your two best choices. With a heated jacket liner you can replace your regular liner jacket but with a vest you still need it.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote