ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
COride OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Lefthand Canyon / 5 Points / Scrambler

Well, we gave it a go today to get up to 5 points and just about made but the big rock below just before shut me down. I could not see a line to up the left side that I had any confidence in. It looked like any little hop to left and me and 500 lbs Scram are going down.

How do you larger bikes negotiate the rock? SHould have taken a pic but it's after the switchback and just below 5 point. I had asked a jeep coming down that rock if it was close and they said yes.

Fun as hell getting up to that point though! Well , exhilarating, challenging for sure.
COride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
youngan
-------

Oddometer: 202
If it's the spot I'm thinking of, I usually stay left, but have also gone up the right side as well. Scarier drop-wise on the left, more technical on the right; your choice.

Actually, here's a link to a video I shot of that trail; maybe you can find the spot your're asking about near the end and see where I went:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaonRKZOXvk

I'm on a 900cc Elefant. I'd be happy to go up there with you at some point; give me a shout at 720-320-8265; I don't look on this forum all that often.

Andy
youngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
COride OP
Adventurer

Exactly right Younan - thx for that. AT 6:07 in your vid is where I got cold feet. It doesn't have as much dirt on it now, all rock and a gouge across the middle. The line you took looks fine but I didn't see it yesterday. The one I saw was on a knife edge on the far left and zero margin for error - for me anyway.

Nice riding BTW on the Elefant - handled like a boss!

I've only been riding since Feb of this year so it's a reach. And thanks for the offer to run up there with. I'm riding around there most every weekends and will look you up.
COride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Next time you go let me know too. I've been meaning to get up to left hand in my Jeep, but haven't yet. I'd be cool to scope all that out on a bike.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,071
COride - you were very close. I haven't tried it on a big bike, but I'm very familiar with that section of road. You could stay to the right and climb it if you just keep your body weight forward and commit. If it helps, I've seen a Goldwing make it up.

youngan - Were you up there this weekend? I thought I saw that bike at 5points when on Sat eve. I had just come down one of the singletracks on the 300 and said a brief hello.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
youngan
-------

Yep, that was me; did you pass me on your way down, nearer to the bottom of the trail? I just took a quick spin up to five points and back down. I was testing out a new set of Traxxion fork cartridges; huge improvement!
I've had that bike beyond five points to the top before, but it's just a stupid amount of work and risk; I'm getting to old and fat for that, so I just stop at five points unless I'm on my XR400.

I'd be happy to head up there with anyone who wants to go have a look; it's a nice quick ride out of Boulder for me.

Andy
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
whiskeyandbikes
Misplaced

Oddometer: 224
I just pulled my back picking up my bike after going down on the "C" road up lefthand. Can a DR650 get up that part? anyone want to try and find out? If you guys want to ride this weekend let me know.
Shawn
whiskeyandbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngan View Post
Yep, that was me; did you pass me on your way down, nearer to the bottom of the trail?
You mean was I the guy that came around the inside corner of that turn on 286 and had to pull out of your lane? Yeah, that was me. Sorry. After that I looped back up Mother Hill and saw you at 5 points again.

This doesn't include several of the roads, but here's a recent vid of all the legal singles out there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyandbikes View Post
I just pulled my back picking up my bike after going down on the "C" road up lefthand. Can a DR650 get up that part? anyone want to try and find out? If you guys want to ride this weekend let me know.
A DR650 up Mother Hill? I think it could be done, but it would certainly be a challenge. The largest I've ever taken up cleanly is my 450. We did get a 300+ pound DZR400 with knobbies up it once, but it wasn't purdy. I'd be willing to give it a shot with a 650, if you want to lend me yours.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
arroyo
??????????????????

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
You mean was I the guy that came around the inside corner of that turn on 286 and had to pull out of your lane? Yeah, that was me. Sorry. After that I looped back up Mother Hill and saw you at 5 points again.

This doesn't include several of the roads, but here's a recent vid of all the legal singles out there:

A DR650 up Mother Hill? I think it could be done, but it would certainly be a challenge. The largest I've ever taken up cleanly is my 450. We did get a 300+ pound DZR400 with knobbies up it once, but it wasn't purdy. I'd be willing to give it a shot with a 650, if you want to lend me yours.

That ~3 foot ledge about 2/3 of the way up 286C has gotten a lot worse in the last few years...I've taken my XR650R down it a few times but I tend to go up 844 rather than deal with that damn ledge.

COHVCO | Stay The Trail | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
arroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyo View Post
That ~3 foot ledge about 2/3 of the way up 286C has gotten a lot worse in the last few years...I've taken my XR650R down it a few times but I tend to go up 844 rather than deal with that damn ledge.
You should see what the jeep parade did to it this last weekend. Everything is beat to snot and the ledge approach is all whooped out. They somehow even manged to rip out half a dozen of the steel posts and cables on each side.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
youngan
-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post

Yep, sounds like that was you! I hadn't put it together that both bikes I saw were actually the same one.

Andy
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Moxy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
i tried out this trail for the first time this last weekend. this vid makes me feel like a noob. :(

damn, time for practice!
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
COride OP
Adventurer

Made it through to 5 Points today. Just kept the momentum going and powered thru. Thank for the tips!