User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
GEORGE K OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Tire change question, need help.

When mounting a tubed tire is vertical centering of the tire critical when putting air in the tube. I am seeing a quarter inch difference between one side of the wheel and the opposite side. I have deflated and reinflated several times and resoaped the rim to reduce friction but it just won't center radially on the rim. I am wondering if just riding it won't cause things to center up due to centrifigal force and tire loading.
The tire is a 3:00x21 Avon Distanzia on a Yamaha XT 250. I am seeing a similar thing with the back tire which is a 120x80x18 Avon Distanzia.
Any suggestions or advice out there?

Thanks,
George K
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 185
Sounds to me like the bead hasn't seated. What happens if you put 50 lbs of air in it?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Are those tires you are mounting marked as TT or TL? Especially if they are marked TL they may require a much higher pressure for the bead to seat properly. IIRC my TL marked anakees required several reinflations up to around 70 psi and a lot of soapy water to seat properly (on normal spoked rims using tubes). By contrast the TT MT21s required only 40psi and no re-inflation at all.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 255
I always spray a little silicone spray lube on the rim. Helps the tire "blomp" onto the thingy. Works well.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
GEORGE K OP
Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks guys. They passed the overnight leak check so I think I will do a test ride to see how lumpy they are, or are not, and to see if bead dimensions change. If needed I will deflate, lubricate with silicone spray, and re inflate to higher pressure as suggested.
They are S rated tubeless with a tube so a bit of a bastard configuration...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
you need to get the bead seated. i wouldn't trust riding at street speeds without it being seated myself.

when i have a bead that doesn't want to seat, i spray a bunch of dish soap/water mix in/on/around where it won't seat. then i pump them up to about 70 or 80psi (DOT knobbies that i actually run at 8 to 20psi depending on terrain). then i put the tire near a heat source or our in the sun so it warms up.

never had one not seat after a few hours with high pressure in it and sitting near a heat source (warms up the tire and makes it more pliable so it slips over the bead easier and also increases the air pressure inside while it heats up).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
I have found that bouncing the tire/rim combo like a basketball while rotating it slightly between each bounce, helps to "push" the bead into the proper location.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
GEORGE K OP
Adventurer

Good info!

Thanks again. I will work the problem before the ride as suggested. Good idea on the high pressure and sunshine. I had been tenative about using such high pressure but it sounds like it has worked for others safely so I will give it a try. I did try the bouncing techniue which has worked before but these two tires are tough customers...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
i always talc my tubes, and put a little on the bead. that helps.
if they do what yours are doing, i pull the valve stem to de-air and smoosh the tire around a bit, then air up again.
go up to 40 or 50 psi and let them sit a bit.