Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Cody Strife OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Took my bilt adventure gear back. Did what I should have done all along...

For those who know and those who are thinking about making the same mistake, don't be drawer in by Cyclegear's "Bilt" half off specials...

This stuff is pure D junk. (I should have know better then to be pushed into it) But, sometimes you don't know it until you do as I did and buy an entire combo of their DOT explorer helmet, jacket, pants and gloves... Only for two days later to try some Alpinestars gear on and compare and contrast the amazing wonderful difference well spent dollars can make.

Immediately I could tell the difference, the comfort and fit and ease of removing and re installing the removal liners makes BILT look like rigged up junk.

For those that argue with "duh, but your gear cost more." I got my XL alpinestars Andes jacket and pants for 450 dollars and I already know I am gonna love it after test fitting various alpinestars jackets already.

What I have realized from this experience is this, if you are willing to just hold off a week or two and then spend just 20% more on gear, you will get quality that is 200 percent better than Bilt, lol.

Lastly, if you can afford to buy a Tiger 800 like I did, or a BMW R1200 like the cyclegear promo shows, then surely to heck you can buy gear that matches up to the quality of your machine, right?
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I am on great terms with my local CG and can get decent deals on good stuff there from time to time.

I went in a little bit ago asking about ordering some Klim gear and a new guy that I hadn't met suggested Bilt Explorer gear. I try not to get mad, but I must admit I was pissed.

Either way, the gear is worthless on all accounts- low quality, poor protection, poor comfort....not good for much of anything really.

On the other hand, when I bought my first bike for $1100 I spent around $300 (overpriced) on a Frank Thomas jacket which was the normal Cycle Gear crap at the time, and it saved my ass in a highway speed wreck and is still usable. Some cheap companies have quality control issues- some cheap companies just have no quality at all.

Either way- Bilt makes very few items worth owning.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Cody Strife OP
n00b

The good new is this, I got my money back and was able to buy the following with it as stated previously.

I originally spent 430 dollars tax and all for the bilt ((anything that implies that their clothing is "built" (terminology to describe my LS1 383 stroker in my vette) must be desperate to fool customers and lure then into subpar junk.))

Alpinestars Andes XL jacket, 225 shipped.
Alpinestars Andes XL pants, 200 shipped.
Alpinestars Drystar Artic gloves, 89 shipped.

Lets do the difference considering you already have a helmet as I do.

514-430/514*100= 15 percent!!!

15 percent more money is a small penalty to pay for riding gear that is gonna last, actually fit comfortably, and be genuinely waterproof. "Don't get me started on the bilt waterproof boots that I had to return for reasons if being not-so-waterproof.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
The good new is this, I got my money back and was able to buy the following with it as stated previously.

I originally spent 430 dollars tax and all for the bilt ((anything that implies that their clothing is "built" (terminology to describe my LS1 383 stroker in my vette) must be desperate to fool customers and lure then into subpar junk.))

Alpinestars Andes XL jacket, 225 shipped.
Alpinestars Andes XL pants, 200 shipped.
Alpinestars Drystar Artic gloves, 89 shipped.

Lets do the difference considering you already have a helmet as I do.

514-430/514*100= 15 percent!!!

15 percent more money is a small penalty to pay for riding gear that is gonna last, actually fit comfortably, and be genuinely waterproof. "Don't get me started on the bilt waterproof boots that I had to return for reasons if being not-so-waterproof.
Glad you see the importance of quality gear- the first time.

Make sure you dont keep a narrow mind though! I love my Alpinestars boots but some of their products I wouldnt spend money on. No experience with the ones you mentioned but keep in mind when quality companies become well established people make the mistake of assuming all of their products are of the same quality.

Good luck!
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Cody Strife OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I am on great terms with my local CG and can get decent deals on good stuff there from time to time.

I went in a little bit ago asking about ordering some Klim gear and a new guy that I hadn't met suggested Bilt Explorer gear. I try not to get mad, but I must admit I was pissed.

Either way, the gear is worthless on all accounts- low quality, poor protection, poor comfort....not good for much of anything really.

On the other hand, when I bought my first bike for $1100 I spent around $300 (overpriced) on a Frank Thomas jacket which was the normal Cycle Gear crap at the time, and it saved my ass in a highway speed wreck and is still usable. Some cheap companies have quality control issues- some cheap companies just have no quality at all.

Either way- Bilt makes very few items worth owning.
A friend of mine got some of the bilt blaze mesh pants and literally ended up removing the knee foam because it hurt so badly. I am now a firm believer in spending a little extra to get better gear, new or used. Truth is, you don't have to pay an arm and a leg, Alpinestars for example, has plenty of gear that is nearly as affordable as Bilts junk, but with good quality control, better fabrics, leathers, and definitely more rubust stitching. Like I said, for 514 dollars I got a good set of fall/winter/spring riding gear that will last and that is definitely waterproof.

I got a set of Alpinestars S-MX5 boots and love them but they ain't waterproof. (But bilt's waterproof boots weren't either haha, plus they hurt the hell out of my ankle after riding for more than an hour.)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Cody Strife OP
n00b

One of the funniest Cyclegear Bilt stories and there are alot of em was one dude came in the store talking about a bilt helmet he had. Something along the line of anytime he would get over 85 and get hit with a wind gust, the visor would randomly fly up.

Well eventually he was getting out on the highway and got up to speed when suddenly the visor flew up and broke away entirely from his helmet....

Other than the name brands they sale at cyclegear, their store brands aren't much better than the crap that harbor freight sales. (I would even argue some of it comes from the same factory.)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
bgt595
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I was looking at adding some gear to my collection and after a little apprehension I actually made the step and picked up the Bilt suit deal in the Explorer air model..... The pants failed on the first ride and as I was making my way to get a replacement pair (in the rain). I noticed that I was slowly getting wet from the jackets rain liner leaking. So while I was at CG I replaced both pants and jacket as a combo. While there I told the manager that I was planning on bolstering the belt closure system they had used and adding a zipper between the pants an jacket they said just bring the receipt in for a full reimbursement of the alteration costs, which I did.

2.5 months and several thousand miles later..... After a decently weather (for the pacific NW) with the thermal liner removed I stopped to take a drink and noticed I was actually drenched from not getting any airflow thought the rain liner..... It's not breathable!! I don't like feeling wet and clammy while riding. My Belstaff gear never made me feel that way, my Firstgear gear never did that.

Experiment was completed at that point. All the gear went back the next day.

Albeit for the Bilt Explorer helmet. I actually really like that one.

I was able to score a very nice set of Triumph branded Adventure jacket and pants and I couldn't be happier with it.

Good luck all you explorers.
bgt595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Other than the name brands they sale at cyclegear, their store brands aren't much better than the crap that harbor freight sales. (I would even argue some of it comes from the same factory.)
Pretty sure Stockton is their own label for the same HF tools.

I went in looking for a decent set of adventure gloves after leaving my right Fox bomber in Sawmill, Baja California, and after trying on every single bilt and Sidici glove in the store I resolved to go up the street and pick up pair of Klim Dakar gloves. There's just no substitute for quality.
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
I'm really surprised CG took back a 'used' helmet. Most dealers won't. The gear may be sub-par, but good on CG for standing behind their return policy
Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,459
in some places you do get what you pay for -- I can't feature getting angry at a sales guy for pitching what his boss told him to, but it take a fair amount to get me pissed.

The bilt gear doesn't do it for me, so I didn't buy any.

It IS nice the CG is in my area, though . . . .there are many things I can buy from them, keeping tehm in business and saving a little coin for me . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
bgt595
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I'm really surprised CG took back a 'used' helmet. Most dealers won't. The gear may be sub-par, but good on CG for standing behind their return policy

I have exchanged two Bilt Explorer helmets already. The first one had a sharp mold line on the bottom of the visor and it was scratching the shield. The second one had a loose rubber seal along the shield and the top vent wouldn't budge open. The third one has been pretty great and seems to feel even better for some reason.

Lucky there is a five year warranty on those too.
bgt595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Cody Strife OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgt595 View Post
I have exchanged two Bilt Explorer helmets already. The first one had a sharp mold line on the bottom of the visor and it was scratching the shield. The second one had a loose rubber seal along the shield and the top vent wouldn't budge open. The third one has been pretty great and seems to feel even better for some reason.

Lucky there is a five year warranty on those too.
I'm sorry, but no warranty in the world can justify me giving a product a third try after the two previous helmets have failed, especially if a visor were to fly off my helmet when I get to freeway speeds, lol.

After three trips to cycle gear and the hassle, it would be cheaper to just buy a good helmet. They used to have Scorpions, which for the money I believe is a damn good helmet. (Though I own a Shoei RF-1100, which is the best fitting helmet I have ever had. And, for anyone hating on a full face helmet, most of the times it has to do with the quality. Most of your cheaper helmets weigh more and fit poorly imho)

As far as where the clothing is produced, I don't know, maybe they are from the same factory, but all I know is this, one company's line of clothing, such as Olympia or Alpinestars has excellent quality control and once you know your fitment, you don't have to alter from it. Kinda like the new balance shoes I buy that are half-way made in the USA. 10.5D has fit me for the last dozen running shoes I have bought. I don't have to test fit, I can order it and I know fitment is nearly exact.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:

As far as where the clothing is produced, I don't know, maybe they are from the same factory, but all I know is this.
Cody, if you search around on this forum you will see user tests that compare some Bilt gear to brands that have trusted for years. I have never owned any Bilt gear so I cannot attest to the build quality. Look here as one example (worth clicking):

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864067
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post

Have you tried "decaf"?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Have you tried "decaf"?
That stuff really works. Why, a time or two, when I was ready to throw epithets, a cup of decaf reduced the anger to a mere mutter.
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote