Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Cody Strife OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Ill be dang, now that remember, a salesman at my dealership who does alot of ordering for clothing told me something along the line that bilt and firstgear was basically identical, possibly even speed and strength and some of the others.

My boots are S-MX-2 and fit awesome, but unfortunately that are not waterproof.
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Cody, if you search around on this forum you will see user tests that compare some Bilt gear to brands that have trusted for years. I have never owned any Bilt gear so I cannot attest to the build quality. Look here as one example (worth clicking):

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864067
Yep, most of it is just the same as other gear with a Bilt label as opposed to whatever else they slap on. A lot of the Bilt stuff IS junk but not everything. I'm happy with my track boots and the 3/4 storm jacket did pretty alright too.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
Ill be dang, now that remember, a salesman at my dealership who does alot of ordering for clothing told me something along the line that bilt and firstgear was basically identical, possibly even speed and strength and some of the others.

My boots are S-MX-2 and fit awesome, but unfortunately that are not waterproof.
Surely you jest.

I've read some positive reports about the Bilt Gear, but the same as FirstGear? Really?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Surely you jest.

I've read some positive reports about the Bilt Gear, but the same as FirstGear? Really?
As posted:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864067

Not all their gear is junk, just most
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Surely you jest.

if you look at the gear, it is obvious that much of it came from the same factory (how many of those making riding gear are there?) and the same, slightly altered, plans . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
jrs1899
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
My first helmet was the Bilt modular. I really liked it until they (cycle gear) swapped the visor out for me. I got a quarter mile away from shop, flipped up visor and the entire chin bar came off in my hand and screws hit the pavement. Luckily I could recover all screws. Went back and fixed it myself. That lid has a nice spot on the shelf and that is where it will stay.
jrs1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
Cody Strife OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Well I got my Alpinestar Scout Boots and Artic Drystar Gloves in a week ago and they are made in Thailand. Definitely not the same factory as Bilt's junk, lol....

The fit and finish is perfect, they are 100 percent waterproof, and they are comfortable on and off the biking and suitable for hikes as well. The gloves I tested in water for 30 minutes, never leaked a drop. I am very satisfied.

I was so happy I ordered the Andes pants and jacket, now if they will get here or not....
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
The good new is this, I got my money back and was able to buy the following with it as stated previously.

I originally spent 430 dollars tax and all for the bilt ((anything that implies that their clothing is "built" (terminology to describe my LS1 383 stroker in my vette) must be desperate to fool customers and lure then into subpar junk.))

Alpinestars Andes XL jacket, 225 shipped.
Alpinestars Andes XL pants, 200 shipped.
Alpinestars Drystar Artic gloves, 89 shipped.

Lets do the difference considering you already have a helmet as I do.

514-430/514*100= 15 percent!!!

15 percent more money is a small penalty to pay for riding gear that is gonna last, actually fit comfortably, and be genuinely waterproof. "Don't get me started on the bilt waterproof boots that I had to return for reasons if being not-so-waterproof.

You sure seem to be making a lot of claims for gear you haven't received yet and still haven't worn at all on a motorcycle in any sort of weather. All this confidence after just trying something on at a store? Are you going to factor in the $249 your Scout boots cost into your percentage? And honestly, you should include the price of your helmet.

If you didn't like the Bilt gear, well thank you for reviewing it for those of us that haven't tried it. Real world experience is always valuable. Just wondering, how many hours/miles did you spend riding in the Bilt gear?