Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 513
I'll bet you could pick up the KLR in your stepfathers garage for about 1500 or so. Especially since it won't be his garage in about ohhh 3 days. The craigslist flipper wouldn't come up the $150 and walked away. The spare chains alone were worth that. I don't think he knew how to ride a motorcycle. I'm just saying. I could probably arrange storage for it until you picked it up.

Meanwhile, Look at all the fun 100mpg had on his thumper. (Search NOOB)

PS. Bob says hi.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
hahaha I will let you convince Katie to go with that idea! I have no idea why the old one would be more reasonable to her but it is. BUT then there is the parting out option I could make some bucks there.

We will see, we will see!
mntbkrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

Free is always good right?

Turns out the other guy wasn't really serious and she is going to just give me the bike I just have to get it out of the shed.

So whatever I do with it will be cool. We aren't planning to be up that way for about a month, but it is only about 2 hours away so I may fit in a day trip just to go get the bike. Expect to see more of me I am sure I will have more stupid questions!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,301
Thumb bet

I bet all it will take to be ride-able, is new tires, battery, and chain (might as well do sprockets too), and a carb cleaning.
The other usual suspects like fork seals, and brakes, can be done as maintenance.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbkrguy View Post
Free is always good right?

Turns out the other guy wasn't really serious and she is going to just give me the bike I just have to get it out of the shed.

So whatever I do with it will be cool. We aren't planning to be up that way for about a month, but it is only about 2 hours away so I may fit in a day trip just to go get the bike. Expect to see more of me I am sure I will have more stupid questions!
theres hope, my buddy had 2 bikes sitting in the backyard un der a tarp for the last 14 years and he cleaned them up put in fresh gas and oil and they both fired up and run great! one is a 87 yamaha 125 scooter the other is a 86 honda xr250.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

I will be VERY happy if that is the case. Speaking of scooters there is a scooter next to it which I think may be an old Honda Sprint. When I pick up the bike I may just mention that as well and see if she needs that removed as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #22
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

I picked it up yesterday!

It will need some work but I don't think it is toast. According to the odometer it has 2,831 miles which based on the guys habbits of buying things for fun I wouldn't be surprised if that is accurate. We will see if it works when I get it running.

Looking through the cap the tank looks very clean, and the underside does as well. There is some light rust oround the seam of the tank but it looks like it is just on the surface. hopefully when I remove the tank and drain it I will be correct.

The rubber hoses and connectors also look like they are in good shape. Unfortunately the air box and filter is not so good. The entire airbox was full of mouse crap and anything else they could stuff in it!

I guess overall it is about what you would expect for a bike sitting in a barn or the last 20 years!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

So I spent a couple hours scrubbing and here it is now,

There is a small dent in the rim with a hairline crack so that may be something to keep an eye on.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
... and just like that a project thread is born
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

Talking Build thread it is

After pulling it into the garage my first concern was the fuel tank. I had been dreading the thought of how much rust could be in there. I was VERY pleased with what I found! It is practically spotless. The petcock was a little gummed up but even where it connects to the tank is clean so I only have a couple spots on the outside to clean up and the tank is done.

(This is the best shot I could get of the inside)

Gummed up petcock

I soaked the disassembled petcock in a 50/50 mix of Pine Sol and water and it cleaned up really nicely so I plan to do the same to the carb.

Next was getting the piston to move. I tried removing the spark plug and giving the kick start a bit of a kick but no luck. Then I tried putting it into 5th and releasing the clutch while rolling, again no luck. So time to pull the cover. I decided to drain the oil first and keep it standing since I am planning an oil change anyway. With a little pressure on the flywheel it popped free and spins relatively freely now.

At least despite everything on the outside being a bit nasty the inside of the engine is looking very clean!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

It has been a while since an update but the great news, I got it running!

I took the time to thoroughly clean the carb and replace one of the jets. I also replaced some of the small parts here and there, got a new battery, etc. I was ready to start it and poof out the muffler came a buff of leaves and more mouse crap! So then I had to remove the exhaust which was no small feat.

This exhaust has what looks like a coffee can before the muffler which is where the mice had made a nest. Due to my second hobby as a bicycle mechanic I happened to have the proper wrench to remove the collar connecting the header to the second half of the system but after what felt like a can of PB Blaster and what heat I could apply with a butane torch without melting any of the surrounding components of the bike I decided I would have to cut the pipe and try to get it disconnected while outside the bike. I had no better luck using the previous methods off the bike until I refilled the O2 tank and applied some real heat. I got that thing glowing hot then dunked it in water 3 separate times before freeing it! But success, I was able to loosen the collar then reassemble it on the bike for alignment then finish welding it back together good as new.

I again tried to start it and got some puffs but it felt like there was just a lack of compression so I kind of sat on it for a little while partly due to busy schedule and lack of motivation. Last week a friend who has an auto shop that also works on bikes came down and after looking at it and trying to rapidly kick start it we ended up (carefully) towing it behind the SUV in order to get the motor to turn over and it worked. After letting it run a while we adjusted the valves and it starts first kick.

Now that it runs I just have to figure out why none of the lights come on. I believe it is the rectifier but I haven’t tested it. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,265
if the battery is good then the lights should come on even with the engine not running. the rectifier changes AC to DC to charge the battery, a regulator keeps the voltage at a set value. usually the 2 units are built into one housing, but it is 2 different functions. I don't know this bike, but many of this type of bike had AC coils to run the headlight. got a diagram?
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

This has a seperate regulator and rectifier. The regulator is a lot more expensive so I am hoping it is the rectifier that is bad.

here is the wiring diagram:
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
Scubawerx
Scubawerx

Oddometer: 119
Great Find

Keep it coming. I enjoy this type of find and build thread. Let's see what you'll do with it once you get it running dependably. Maybe a 500 ADV bike with modern suspension and brakes??
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
mntbkrguy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Great Find

Keep it coming. I enjoy this type of find and build thread. Let's see what you'll do with it once you get it running dependably. Maybe a 500 ADV bike with modern suspension and brakes??
I like how you think!