Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #196
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Nice! Keep it coming. I am so very tied down right now, and I am sooooo jealous of your ability to just leave it all behind and go.

I can't really do anything out of my comfort zone any time soon, as I am sitting home with a broken leg from a dirt bike accident and studying for board exams in two weeks for medical school... But when I get my leg healed up and finish up with boards I'll either post on here or pm something that I do outside of my comfort zone.

Keep this ride report coming! Great job!

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #197
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
I'm a strong believer in the following saying: What can you know about yourself, if you never push your own limits?

I likely won't update this again until I have started the TAT. Over the weekend, pick one thing that is out of your comfort zone. One single thing. Maybe a fear you have wanted to get over. Maybe a 'bucket list' item you have been putting off. Maybe it's talking to the produce girl at the grocery store. Pick one thing. One, regardless of how small, or how significant it is, that is beyond your comfort zone, go out, and accomplish it.

Respond here, or PM me, or even email me (ridesa [A-T] gmail.com) if you'd like. I'm genuinely curious to see who is willing to step just a little out of their comfort zone, and learn a little about themselves. Live a little!
I'm trading my extremely-reliable great-performing Wee Strom, which I got kinda cheap; for a more off-road capable bike.
Have no gear yet, never ridden off-road... Maybe you guys will mocke me, but I find it scary! It's been a hard desition since I know pretty well the insights of my machine, do my own maintenance, been on-road for 3 years and 25k mi...
Not even sure what I want: DR-Z 400, XT660R, XR650R, TT600RE, 640...

That's the best I can do for the moment!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #198
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitou View Post
I'm trading my extremely-reliable great-performing Wee Strom, which I got kinda cheap; for a more off-road capable bike.
Have no gear yet, never ridden off-road... Maybe you guys will mocke me, but I find it scary! It's been a hard desition since I know pretty well the insights of my machine, do my own maintenance, been on-road for 3 years and 25k mi...
Not even sure what I want: DR-Z 400, XT660R, XR650R, TT600RE, 640...

That's awesome! Off-road riding really opens up a new world! No one should mock you, we've all been beginning off-road riders at some point! I say welcome to the club!

droided it

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #199
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
That's awesome! Off-road riding really opens up a new world! No one should mock you, we've all been beginning off-road riders at some point! I say welcome to the club!
By mocking me, I was meaning that I'm not quiting my job, selling my home and going round the world, or so... It's just a bike change in the end...
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #200
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,337
Great report and great pictures. Thanks for the time and work to share your journey.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 71,000, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #201
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
By mocking me, I was meaning that I'm not quiting my job, selling my home and going round the world, or so... It's just a bike change in the end...
We all have our journey. Some stay closer to home. It's all good!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #202
holmes.g
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
+1

Much older by half than you, similar kind of thing. Found ADV, bought a XR250, then flew to Virginia, bought a bike (never test rode it), packed it up with a ton of shit, rode to NM for the next 21 days. Camped behind churches and state parks. Learned to sort of ride. Half a year later, Baja ride. Now I dream of selling everything and go to Alaska, Russia, Mongolia, China, cross Europe and then head south. Spend the next few years finding my spot on the globe?

Good luck, totally subscribed.

OBTW, tried to buy a an XRL 650 in Ohio. The owner said he would sell it to me but didn't think the XR was a good bike to ride across the country.

I was forced to buy a Swiss Army knife bike - KLR.
You have a wonderful plan,do it and share it.
holmes.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #203
stuntheavy'smomma
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I love the reports and the pics, you def have a great way of bringing us all along for the ride. Here's to living your dream and keeping your sense of humor through the rough spots! Be safe and have a great time. Your family is behind you all the way!
stuntheavy'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #204
SthrnRomr
Southern Roamer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy'smomma View Post
I love the reports and the pics, you def have a great way of bringing us all along for the ride. Here's to living your dream and keeping your sense of humor through the rough spots! Be safe and have a great time. Your family is behind you all the way!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #205
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
out of the comfort zone...I can't say for sure what I want to do next but your trip now reminds me of how I felt about a year ago.
Always wanted to ride to Alaska solo and did it last year. I can say for sure I understand your excitement and maybe even a little fear! I know for sure it will make the trip for you as great as mine did for me! Something to be said for ANY adventure that takes you out to do something new...this is GREAT
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #206
someday adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy'smomma View Post
Awesome post!! If my Mom was still with us, I'm sure she'd be typing a similar post.

As far as your "comfort zone" homework, I have decided to take a 10 day trip on the bike and not plan one single moment of the trip, just get on and take off. I've always planned everything I do, but not this time, I'm just gonna wing it. May not be a big deal to most folks, but it's definately outta my comfort zone!! Safe Travels to you sir!!!
someday adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #207
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by someday adv View Post
Awesome post!! If my Mom was still with us, I'm sure she'd be typing a similar post.

As far as your "comfort zone" homework, I have decided to take a 10 day trip on the bike and not plan one single moment of the trip, just get on and take off. I've always planned everything I do, but not this time, I'm just gonna wing it. May not be a big deal to most folks, but it's definately outta my comfort zone!! Safe Travels to you sir!!!
These types of trips are the best. I try to take a few weeks a year to wander around on the bike and it is a lot of fun. The more rigid the schedule, the more stressful it becomes. My only rule is not riding after dark and getting up early to get a few miles on before cars fill up the road.

Good luck on your adventure.

On the issue of power, I've used a power brick that I can charge while underway. If you get the right one, it will have enough capacity to charge your items at night when you are farting around in your tent. This one here has sufficient capacity to charge an iphone 5x!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Uni...item3a7bb59c2f

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #208
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
I don't think anyone here would mock you for that. Heck I'd guess that's why most of us are so excited by a trip report like thos, because it's extraordinary, and most of us can't or won't do something quite like this for whatever reason. We all do what we can and make our own adventures. Have fun in the dirt!

droided it

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #209
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,004
Awesome report! I just found it today and now I'm subbed too!

If you find yourself out west in Oregon, PM me or something.. I'll show you around if you want. Or if you need a place to sleep, the RV park where I live is really nice.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #210
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Have no gear yet, never ridden off-road...

Check out this PDF file: How to ride a motorcycle off-road

I'm not sure if a purchase is necessary or not but I don't think so. You can find it at www.bestrestproducts.com. It has lots of good info even though it is full of plugs for their products (I bought the CyclePump for my upcoming trip.)
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote