Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #211
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I'm not going TOO far out of my comfort zone but I am leaving TX for AK (and D2D) on a new to me '04 DL650 Weestrom. I've never owned a v-twin motor and it is totally different from either my KLR, which I rode part way to AK years ago or my FJR (I rode an '85 FJ100 to AK back in 1993.) I have tried to bond with the Wee but it hasn't happened in the last 2000 miles or so, hope it does by the time I get well underway in June! So I am feeling some trepidation about this trip but looking forward to it as well. It is also my first solo ride of that distance since my '93 ride and I really look forward to that!
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #212
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
My out of comfort zone experience began a few months ago when I signed up to become a dirt bike instructor with Puget Sound Safety (www.pssor.com). They're expanding into Oregon to help with Oregon's training requirements for kids. So I went through a month's worth of training (on weekends) and am finally having my first real class tomorrow. Looks like I have four students, ages 6-13. So it's time to put what I learned to the test and see how much I can remember. And I've never really been a public speaker type. :) But I love the sport, and if I can help kids (and adults) be better and safer riders, and have more fun, then great.

There are three levels and I'm certified to teach level 1 right now. I've had the level 2 course, and hope to be certified to teach that one by the end of the Summer.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #213
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Great writing man. Keep pics coming. Would love to see a video of your riding on the dragon.
My fear or out of comfort range would be to camp in the woods by myself. My mind says I want to, but it scares the shee-ite out of me. I think this keeps me from venturing down unknown roads alone. I want o do more of it, but also hunk of the safety aspect of ring alone in mountains on my Super Tenere.
Enjoy!

Jeff
hoebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #214
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,325
Nice RR, you do have a great writing "voice".

The camping will get more comfortable over time and the camping out west will Blow. Your. Mind!

Couch space available in SoCal if you make it this way. I'm 20 mins. from Baja!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #215
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Pantalones View Post
The camping will get more comfortable over time and the camping out west will Blow. Your. Mind!
He's right! The spaces out here are so wide open. The mountains are VERY tall. The scenery is absolutely amazing.

I've camped by myself several times. It's fun, though it's nice to have others along for the adventure. Once I make camp, there's often not a lot to do so I tend to turn in early. I don't usually bother making a fire. I have the same camp chair as you, and LOVE it. It's so nice and compact. I'll just sit back in it and relax for a bit, but once dark, I go into the tent and call it a night.

Rob
Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #216
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'll just sit back in it and relax for a bit, but once dark, I go into the tent and call it a night.
And the flip side is getting up in the pre-dawn. I've always liked early starts to the day, taking a couple of hours out midday to unwind/relax and then continue on to no later than ~4 p.m. I know there are guys who do 12-plus-hour days, but I've never been a fan of longer than ~8 hours in the saddle over 3 or 4 stints.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #217
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Nice report! Purdys is a good spot snd glad you enjoyed our area.
DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #218
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
And the flip side is getting up in the pre-dawn. I've always liked early starts to the day, taking a couple of hours out midday to unwind/relax and then continue on to no later than ~4 p.m. I know there are guys who do 12-plus-hour days, but I've never been a fan of longer than ~8 hours in the saddle over 3 or 4 stints.
I've not done the pre-dawn thing yet because it's been too cold. Out west here in the mountains, it's not unusual for summertime night temps to be in the 30's and 40's, so I tend to stay in bed until the sun breaks and warms up the inside of the tent. I do like your idea, though... get going just before dawn and taking a break midday. I also like calling it quits by 5-6 pm and not doing more than eight hours a day (if that). On my rides, I think being able to relax in camp is almost as much fun as the ride itself.

Rob
Old 05-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #219
Teewee
not a n00b

Oddometer: 17
I just signed up because of this thread.
About a year ago I was in a similar situation. Had a job for a couple of years, didn't pay enough to go forward in life but paid enough to feel I shouldn't complain. The content was kinda cool but if your financial life is at a standstill... So I took the plunge and now I'm a geology student. Scary at first, but I'm so happy I did it.

I'm not going to dig into your "get out of your comfort zone this weekend" assignment as I'm studying for my finals, which, in an unpleasantly ironical fashion, is essentially working on what I did last year that threw me completely out of my comfort zone.

I just wanted to throw this idea into the air: look into hammock camping. It works very well with adventure riding I have been told.
I have slept on the ground alot the last couple of years and only recently discovered hammocking. Less hassle than with a tent and infinitely more comfy. Quite compact too. For bad weather: pitch a tarp above the hammock, or resort back to the tent as you have it on the road with you anyway. Also, considering all your bike gear, it might be more pleasant to store it in the tents' vestibule than under a tarp where wind and rain will get it eventually if its on the ground.

Have fun on the rest of your trip!
Teewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #220
djminta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Bucket List

Not out of my comfort zone, unless riding in a large group counts, but I got to ride the Tail of the Dragon this weekend. What a great road. I had the pleasure of living and riding in Europe for the last three years and this is right up there with the best of the roads there. Great ride report.
djminta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #221
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
Great report, I am hooked.

Out of comfort zone = planning on a lone camping trip and starting off not knowing where I am going. Looking forward to not planning as much and stopping more.
RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #222
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Enjoying your trip of discovery. I thought about your comfort zone prop and decided to sell my Triumph Bonnie (@ the Flea Market now!) and get a DS bike... and I've never ridden dirt before. I'm following through with it though. Anybody know of a Dirt Camp or off-road riding school PM me...
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #223
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
Glad to see some of your prop answers are related to DS bikes

I have an update to my "get out of your comfort zone" prop of the OP: last saturday I went to see an XT660R (which I believe is not very popular in the States since there's not even an official thread for the model @ thumpers).
After a very deep look we came to an agreement, we arrenged some paperwork and I'm giving my DL 650, 2004, 54500 km and fully equiped for an XT660R, 2005, 19000 km, new tires, new sprockets and chain, new Acerbis handguards, new clutch lever (bended but not dragged), oil and filters replaced and one year guarranty.

It seems to me that the bike hasn't been into dirt roughly, since there are no marks of stone-hitting in the crankcase or skid plate, the gearbox lever and rear brake pedal are straight... So I think I have a good deal!

PD: If lucky, it'll be mine tomorrow
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #224
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Awesome betitou! We can't get that bike in the US! That should be a really fun bike, good luck getting it!

droided it

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #225
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Awesome betitou! We can't get that bike in the US! That should be a really fun bike, good luck getting it!
That's what I thought!
In exchange, we can't get your 2nd gen KLR 650 here in Europe, which I really love!

Thanks a lot!

And BTW, stuntheavy must be somewhere out there having real fun
You safe, bro?
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote