User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #526
Air Force Vet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Wow

Great thread guys! Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed this one and looking forward to the "South of the Border" installment. Safe travels!!!
Air Force Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #527
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Great news! Glad to hear that the rod didn't have a bunch of play. So have you found someone to part the crankshaft for rod replacement or will you just buy the assembly from Honda?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #528
exmagnarider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
This RR is absolutely amazing. As many others have said, Chris and Austin, you writing really compliments each other and it's really cool to have two perspectives going on at the same time. Good on both of you for taking the plunge into something that I'm sure each of us would love to do but don't have the courage or ability to leave everything behind. I'm sure this will be something you'll both look back on for the rest of your lives. Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through both of you. Stay safe and live it up out there. You guys are awesome!

EDIT:

This RR is what gets me through my work day. It's like crack!
exmagnarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #529
Bigbore4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmagnarider View Post
This RR is what gets me through my work day. It's like crack!
yup.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #530
swifter78261
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks guys! We're definitely enjoying the time off. I've spent some time in San Francisco, then drove down the coast on Highway 1 to LA, where I am now. Chris is up in Northern California unloading stress and taking in sunshine it sounds like too. The last two days of the trail my clutch really started to slip in 5th gear.... I guess 5,000 off road miles weren't so kind to it. So I've got a new clutch coming that I'm going to have to install next week. REALLY not looking forward to it. I hear its a decently easy thing to do, but I'm kind of afraid of taking the crash bars/skid plate off - which are now nicely bent and touching the plastic, I mean, customized - and finding that they won't want to go back on... We'll see.. But I suppose the peace of mind will be worth the headache. I hope.

Anyway, I'm getting more stoked about Mexico with every day. I'm actually very interested in signing up for a Spanish school down there. I know a bit - how to get directions and order a beer - and adding fluent Spanish to my biz resume has always interested me. Could be an awesome way to spend a few weeks!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #531
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
CLutches are pretty easy man and I'm sure there are a number of folks around LA that would be willing to lend a hand! Good luck and keep it going!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #532
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hey, re-customization is what hammers are for right? I also used to get pretty created with tie-downs and cars or forklifts when straightening things. You'll get it. The hardest part about clutches is the gasket for the side cover. I hate scraping the remnants off and making sure the new one gets on correctly so it doesn't leak. The rest is really simple. Just pay attention to how everything comes apart. :

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #533
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifter78261 View Post
and adding fluent Spanish to my biz resume has always interested me. Could be an awesome way to spend a few weeks!
Well, you won't be fluent after a few weeks. A few decades, maybe. Nonetheless, its a great way to spend some time and will kind of give you a license to learn, so to speak. If you like to get out and talk to people, you'll learn pretty fast.

suerte!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #534
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Well, you won't be fluent after a few weeks. A few decades, maybe. Nonetheless, its a great way to spend some time and will kind of give you a license to learn, so to speak. If you like to get out and talk to people, you'll learn pretty fast.

suerte!
Right on! Lots depends on your affinity for languages. I'm good with "sounds" but terrible at all the rest. I had Spanish from Jr. High through College, then spent years working and traveling in Latin America ... and my Spanish still sucks.

I SOUND good (I'm good at imitating sounds) ... but I have trouble understanding quick conversation and when lots of idiomatic expressions are used (which can be regional) I get a bit lost.

Some folks brains just "get" and assimilate language quickly. Mine does not. I've seen people learn Spanish after a month intensive school. I mean after a month they can really converse and comprehend. Not geniuses ... but just really adept at language.

But give it a try and see what happens. By my reckoning you can more or less get by with about 1000 vocabulary words and 10 verbs. But if you go further you'll have a much easier time.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #535
GoMotor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
.............I'm kind of afraid of taking the crash bars/skid plate off - which are now nicely bent and touching the plastic, I mean, customized - and finding that they won't want to go back on... .....................!
I park mine between a couple of trucks and use some 3" straps and a come-along to pull the bars out. Going back on, get the top and front mounts on first. For the bottom, you might have to drill the mounting holes a little and use a pry bar. Use a new gasket and seal it with waterproof grease rather than gasket sealer so if you have to work on it in the field, you can reuse the gasket.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #536
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Anyway, I'm getting more stoked about Mexico with every day. I'm actually very interested in signing up for a Spanish school down there. I know a bit - how to get directions and order a beer - and adding fluent Spanish to my biz resume has always interested me. Could be an awesome way to spend a few weeks!
This has been an awesome RR, I've been following it for a while now. Thanks for all the effort you guys have put into writing it, it's a lot of work!

It would be worth your while to get some of those "Learn Spanish" tapes of CDs now, you can probably check them out at the public library. You won't learn an awful lot from them, but learning a foreign language is painfully slow at the beginning, and those tapes will get you used to the "strangeness" of the foreign language and will make your time in a school more productive. I went to one In Guadalajara and included "homestay" where they put you up with a local family and it was great. But, if you are budget conscious, then schools in Guatemala are considerably cheaper. Also, teaching methods vary and some schools are very rigid in their adherence to traditional textbook methods that spend the majority of time on learning grammar. As a traveler, I think it's more important to put more emphasis on vocabulary at the beginning. You are much more likely to communicate something knowing some words and atrocious grammar than you are with a half dozen perfectly conjugated verbs but no nouns.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #537
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukaWai View Post
This has been an awesome RR, I've been following it for a while now. Thanks for all the effort you guys have put into writing it, it's a lot of work!

It would be worth your while to get some of those "Learn Spanish" tapes of CDs now, you can probably check them out at the public library. You won't learn an awful lot from them, but learning a foreign language is painfully slow at the beginning, and those tapes will get you used to the "strangeness" of the foreign language and will make your time in a school more productive. I went to one In Guadalajara and included "homestay" where they put you up with a local family and it was great. But, if you are budget conscious, then schools in Guatemala are considerably cheaper. Also, teaching methods vary and some schools are very rigid in their adherence to traditional textbook methods that spend the majority of time on learning grammar. As a traveler, I think it's more important to put more emphasis on vocabulary at the beginning. You are much more likely to communicate something knowing some words and atrocious grammar than you are with a half dozen perfectly conjugated verbs but no nouns.
Now that there is, IMHO, some seriously GOOD ADVICE!
100% agree on every point made. Having lived in Guatemala (off/on for two years) I can confirm the inconsistency of the language "schools". Some are strictly fly by night, some use outmoded methods. Finding a good one is probably not easy these days as everyone and their Sister run a so called language school. But few are really qualified to do that.
Shop Around. Talk to local educators. Find a pro. It will save time and results will be better.

Learning Spanish is hard work ... but with a good teacher can also be very fun! Enjoy!

Learn Vocabulary and common idiomatic expressions and a few key verbs. Go forward from there. Ask locals to speak to you as if you were 6 years old. It works! Slow, Clear, Simple forms of verbs, basic vocab.
Resist the urge to hang out exclusively with other Gringos. You will never learn a thing if you do that.

!Que le via muy bien!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #538
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Resist the urge to hang out exclusively with other Gringos. You will never learn a thing if you do that.

!Que le via muy bien!
Absolutely! That includes your classmates unless you speak Spanish to them - at least until you get stuck.

Forgot to mention something in case you might be put off by the amount of work this entails: one day something will click and you'll have a conversation with somebody completely in Spanish, that will be a rush thats right up there with the best piece of the TAT and worth every ounce of effort.
Last year I spent a month touring France by bike and used only French - for the first time ever. The people I met and spoke with in their language were the highlight of that trip and made the 25 years I have been struggling to learn that language all worthwhile.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #539
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Awesome ride report. Thank you again for taking the time to do the reports when you were obviously exhausted!

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #540
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post

I decided to split the cases. The rod does not have a significant amount of play in it, but it will help me sleep better at night with the upgraded rod, and I'm going to do a countershaft at the same time since the bike has many miles as a motard.

Good call. When I inspected the bottom end of my trashed XR 650, I could detect no free play at in the crank using my garage-level inspection methods. I almost put it back together thinking it was OK. Only when I sent it in for a fancy new Falicon rod did they tell me that the bearing/rod was totally hogged out. They could detect it by pulling it apart (not something you can do at home without a huge press) but I couldn't feel a thing.