Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #556
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,050
Grifter's right.. it's really not likely that it's a rod. I say timing chain, or maybe like he said, a dropped valve. Did you stay on top of valve clearance checks?

A timing chain is easy, as I already mentioned. A dropped valve will still be a bit expensive, especially if you have to split the case to clean crap out of it. It will have likely trashed the head and piston, maybe even the cylinder. Hard to say.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #557
exmagnarider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Keep pushing on guys! Austin, hopefully it ends up being nothing more than just the rod with no other damage. I know you both will get back on the road, remember, Mexico beckons!

And thanks again for taking us all on your journey with you, it's been a great ride, even if it is from an office chair!
exmagnarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #558
swifter78261
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Would any of this explain the insane oil loss?

Currently walking the 3.8 miles to the closest uHaul store in 106 degree heat. I hope someone out here is getting some entertainment from how I'm breathing steam right now.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #559
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Austin, the oil loss in the early 2008 bikes was due to a manufacturing problem that they did wind up solving. As I remember the tolerances were not right with the piston/rings/cylinder. I only remember this in passing as I was looking for a KLR at the time and decided to wait a bit for Kawi to fix this and produce a few more bikes with the revised parts. I can't remember exactly when mine was made but I know I found a boatload of information over at a few of the KLR forums. If your bike was one of the early ones and you have now found that it burns a bit of oil at least you know about it. If something let go in the cylinder you will need to replace the parts with updated versions so it's all good.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #560
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifter78261 View Post
Would any of this explain the insane oil loss?

Currently walking the 3.8 miles to the closest uHaul store in 106 degree heat. I hope someone out here is getting some entertainment from how I'm breathing steam right now.
Pictures of you walking to the U-Haul store in a pool of sweat would be entertaining

Seriously I wish you luck on a quick and inexpensive fix!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #561
swifter78261
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I've got an '09 KLR. I know the 08s had issues and they supposedly fixed it in '09. And I really never had /any/ issues with oil until yesterday. Strange stuff. Expensive stuff.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #562
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 462
I'm reluctant to jump into ride reports I didn't catch on the first day....

Screw it, this one is good.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #563
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oops! Sorry Austin
Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #564
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,352
I know I would pull the valve cover while I was waiting. The cams are the last thing to get oil and the first things to show damage when oil flow is interupted. Then pull the cam bearing caps to look for scouring. If the cams get in a bind they can hinder rotation. A stuck/bent valve should also be obvious.
Also pull the oil filter, cut it open and look for metal.
Good luck, hope you guys can get back on the road soon.

So much riding-so little time

Xcuvator screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 05:04 PM
Xcuvator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #565
ukturfrocks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I'm super sorry to hear the problems u guys are having.
But I am amazed at the amount of people that have and still are touching ur lives. I wish the best. This report has been the best I have ever read and wish it to continue so don't give up. If a new bike is what you need I have a friend with a decked out klr in Cali that he may let go of cheap for you. If it comes down to it pm me and I'll get the ball Rollin.
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #566
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,882
there is guy in Gilroy California will rebuild that motor for you.
His number is 805 895 511four.

He goes under wymanwinn on the KLR forums
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #567
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Isn't this place AWESOME! People offering help and suggestions from everywhere! In the very near future all will be good and you guys will be headed for Old Mexico
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #568
swifter78261
Adventurer

Thanks so much for all your your encouraging words and pieces of advice. Thanks to Trl Rdr, specifically, for your incredible generosity.

In the mayhem of yesterday, I never really got a chance to tell the full story of how the day went down.. So, here you go - my pain for your pleasure:

Got the word from the Kawi dealer wanting $1235 just in labor to do the rebuild and decided to truck it to SF, where I've at least got a friend I can keep it with. Chris - the mechanical genius that he is - has generously offered to do the work on it once he gets his bike fixed and rides to SF in a few days.

So I walked next door to the uHaul store and in the course of renting a truck, I mentioned I was putting a motorcycle in it. No big deal, right? No, big deal. The lady shuts me down and says I can't rent a truck cuz it's against uHaul policy to truck motorcycles in a 10 foot truck. I think I'm screwed. Googled up the only other uHaul place in town, called and asked if they have trucks available, thinking I just won't tell em what I'm throwin inside. It's 4 miles away. It's 108 degrees in Fresno. I try the two cab services in town, but they don't pick up after a dozen rings. I walk 4 miles in the 108 degree noon sun, exploding in sweat, breathing steam, must have lost 3lbs in sweat. I get there and exhaustedly ask for a truck, they ask for my reservation, I say I don't have one, they say they HAVE trucks, but I HAVE to have a reservation at that location. I think I'm screwed.

I walk outside and start calling those cab companies again. They don't pick up. The only other thing in town is a limo company. I call the limo company. I get a Lincoln Towncar to drive me 4 miles back to the 1st uHaul store, where I'm praying I can sneak in and get another customer service person. They only charged me 25 bucks, out of sympathy I think. I shuffle inside, looking for McBitch, don't see her, quickly rent a truck from another person - leaving out the small detail of my cargo, and pull out of the parking lot in my uHaul as McBitch is pulling in, coming off her lunch break or something... Load my motorcycle up, drive 200 miles to SF, and die on my buddy's couch. That was Tuesday for Austin. I hope to have a blog post up at www.thetransamerican.com complete with pictures for y'all at some point today.

Now, if we can all join hands and pray to the motorcycle gods for good fortune with my engine. I'll personally be laying hands on my engine this afternoon... Beginning the process.

GULP.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #569
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifter78261 View Post
Now, if we can all join hands and pray to the motorcycle gods for good fortune with my engine. I'll personally be laying hands on my engine this afternoon... Beginning the process.

GULP.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #570
COboy
b00b

Oddometer: 62
swifter78261, your and stuntheavy's RR (besides its incredible awesomeness) is making me think that I better make sure to pair up with a good mechanic before going on any epic rides.

Or... learn a bit myself. I know most of you here know their way around an engine, but I can barely change a tire or clean a carb. Can anyone recommend an online course or short "live" course for those who want to learn but not become a full blown mechanic (do it for a living)?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902450
COboy is offline   Reply With Quote