Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #586
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,724
I agree. Your cheapest/easiest option would be a new powerplant. Had a friend ruin his top end due to a faulty doohickey install. $500 later and a drive to charleston and he had a new engine. That engine has carried him thorugh nursing school, Canada and back......over 30K with no problems. They are out there, complete and fairly inexpensive. I hope there is one in SF for you Austin.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #587
swifter78261
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks guys. I had topped the oil off - thinking I was heading to Mexico soon. I really should have checked it when I left my lunch stop, right before the engine ble, though. All is obvious in hindsight. I'm going to start looking for motors I suppose. The feedback I've been getting tells me all of these metal shavings could have really toasted the bottom end's gears.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #588
stuntheavy'smomma
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Austin, so sorry to hear about your bike issues. Ii's so ironic that both your and Chris' bikes are down at the same time. I hope you both have them up and running soon. I know you two are a great team and what one can't think of, the other one will. I have truly enjoyed the trip reports and the website with videos. I think I am having withdrawals now from not seeing them every day! Best of luck to both of you. I know you will both be on the road and seeing the world again soon. Once again, amazed by the help from the ADV riders.
stuntheavy'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #589
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Great report
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #590
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Chris, what is the seat cover you're using on the XRR?
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #591
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hey guys. Like everyone else here I'm sorry to hear about the troubles! I think between everybody following this trip we should be able to locate a decent engine for you. Maybe we can set up some sort of engine fund donation account too? It sounds like Chris's wasn't cheap either and I think all of us would hate to see stinking money be the barrier to your continued journeys. Anyone else know how to set up something like that? I'll start combing other forums etc. to see what I can find! Good luck! Enjoy riding CA. There is a ton of great off road riding up where Chris is btw. I grew up riding all around there! The Mt. Lassen area is also amazing. :

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #592
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,952
Really glad I stumbled on this RR, been a fabulous read guys, still have 15 pages to read to get current. Chris maybe I missed it among all the posts but Killboy got some good pics of you slaying the Dragon, sticking leg out motard style and one looks like ur coming off a corner slide in the rain check'em out here, and hit the Next button to see the others in the series

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/stor...4&po=74&pc=752

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01VJ0J0689&po=689&pc=702
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #593
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Cool pics. :)
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #594
GoMotor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
In your first post mentioning the engine locked up, you mentioned that there was almost NO OIL in the sight glass. This makes me wonder if the problem may not actually have been caused by lack of oil to the cam bearings. I do see in one of your photos that the right exhaust bearing looks bad, but that could be just the light.

I have a 2008 KLR bought new and before I learned that the engine can use oil quickly at 5,000 rpm I rode 650 miles one day at 5,000 to 5,300 rpm and noticed the oil was not visible in the glass when I got home. That was at around 5,000 miles on the bike. It now has 97,000 miles and the cam bearings are still going like that little rabbit with the drum. The sight glass measures a quart top to bottom. When the level is at the bottom there is still a quart and a half in the engine. As long as there is oil at the pump pickup the bearings should get the same flow as when full.

I am prepping it for a run in two weeks up to and across the Trans-Canada Adventure Trail dirt route which with side trips should clock off another 17,000 to 18,000 miles.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #595
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
I say toss a cheap motor in the KLR, sell it, and get yourself a KTM 950 Adventure for all that open desert you'll be riding through in Baja. If you've been able to wrestle that pig of a KLR through all the stuff you have then the few extra pounds of the KTM isn't going to be an issue for you, and the 100hp means it'll be Chris constantly eating dust and trying to catch up to You.

Serious on the cheap motor swap though, I'm not sure about interchangeability between 07 older and 08 newer KLR's, but there are plenty of them around to be able to source an engine from. Good luck with it, I can't wait to see you guys continue the journey.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #596
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,049
jumping in
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #597
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,868
Did you call that guy?
He has all the parts to do a complete motor rebuild in his shop
Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #598
swifter78261
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks again for all of the encouragement guys and gals. It's really doing a lot for my damaged morale.

Wheatwacker - I did get in touch with him. Apparently he is no longer in Gilroy, but south of Los Angeles now. His opinion from my description and pictures was that my motor was likely junk, unfortunately.

Speedmonkey - thanks for the encouragement man! I'm currently on the lookout for a good cheap engine. Any help from everyone here in that department is a HUGE help! I'm a little hesitant to start an engine fun, as I don't really know how I'd return the cash, should the trip be ended in some way at this point. All the same the email I use for my Paypal is in my profile info. But again, just help in finding a cheap - but good - engine is the help I really need right now I feel.

For various reasons, I've got to leave the place in San Francisco where I've been generously hosted for the last few days. The buddy that I've been staying with has offered me his KLR for the next week to your Yosemite and Tahoe with. I hope to meet up with Chris at some point in the next few days and then we will both come back to SF to do work on my bike together. On the meantime, I will be continuing the hunt for a new engine while I'm on the road. Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #599
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Just posted your plight on TT in the KLR section. Hopefully something will come of that. Can anyone else post on other forums? Did you see the engine on eBay in Earp, CA? $1800 or best offer. I don't know what is a good price but that seems to be what is out there.

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #600
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Just posted your plight on TT in the KLR section. Hopefully something will come of that. Can anyone else post on other forums? Did you see the engine on eBay in Earp, CA? $1800 or best offer. I don't know what is a good price but that seems to be what is out there.

$1800 seems very high unless it has a 705 kit and no miles.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote