Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #151
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
A careful review of MM nipping at JL's heels showed a sliding lunging wobbly newbie rider doing whatever was necessary to get around a smooth fast, consistent rider and into 2nd place. I wasn't sure which was the greater talent to be honest.

I do find the likes of JL and Casey Droner to be admirable and an exercise in controlled beauty in riding on those times when they escape the pack. It is boring as hell once they get away but when a terrier like MM or Rossi pulls up and takes them down it is a hoot. I hope MotoGP doesn't get too NASCAR-like.

The first few laps on fresh tires and a strong motor seems to have a disproportionate influence on the outcome.

Lee
No way, JL left the door a bit open and MM went for it, lunging, wobbley doing what ever it takes yes but JL should have know better
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #152
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Wobbling newbie? Seriously?

I don't care what any of you cantankerous old coots say, MM is an absolute joy to watch on a motorcycle. First year in the premier class, and he's already riding that bike like it's been his home for several years. I see no reason to expect him to become SLOWER as he puts more races and seasons under his belt.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #153
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
A careful review of MM nipping at JL's heels showed a sliding lunging wobbly newbie rider doing whatever was necessary to get around a smooth fast, consistent rider and into 2nd place. I wasn't sure which was the greater talent to be honest.

I do find the likes of JL and Casey Droner to be admirable and an exercise in controlled beauty in riding on those times when they escape the pack. It is boring as hell once they get away but when a terrier like MM or Rossi pulls up and takes them down it is a hoot. I hope MotoGP doesn't get too NASCAR-like.

The first few laps on fresh tires and a strong motor seems to have a disproportionate influence on the outcome.

Lee
Yes, MM nearly took out JLo on about three occasions with post late-braking moves.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #154
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Yes, MM nearly took out JLo on about three occasions with post late-braking moves.
It's not the sort of riding that can be sustained for 15 rounds without consequences.

The question for me is if it's going to be a friendly-fire event or if Lin Jarvis is going to lodge a complaint.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #155
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Oh boohey hooey.
Pedro wins one, and the accomplishment is overshadowed by his rookie teammate, who with a last turn pass took sole posession of first place in The Championship.

I have the feeling that, had JLo not been a rolling roadblock, Marky would have been up there hassling Dani for all he was worth.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #156
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
It's not the sort of riding that can be sustained for 15 rounds without consequences.
Really? Rossi has made a career of it and has millions of adoring fans.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #157
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
not really
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #158
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJwPu_vycqg
Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #159
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rujtlt1DGk
Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #160
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post
I have the feeling that, had JLo not been a rolling roadblock, Marky would have been up there hassling Dani for all he was worth.
Marquez almost runs into the back of Lorenzo three times, punts him in the last corner for second, while Pedrosa at one point had a 3.5 second lead.

Don't think so.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #161
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 217
Listen, I am not saying I didn't enjoy the battle for second. I am just saying that the contrast of styles was quite evident. JL has a Stoner-like consistency that is impressive. I will chalk MM's dashing about to end of race tires and a willingness to take chances, and yes, he was wobbling like crazy with his charging JL's rear as he tried to set something up on the last two laps- great stuff. The. bump could have put them both on the ground however and then he would have looked like a desperate goat.

Someone earlier drew the comparison of MM to Super Sic's riding style and that was very insightful. I think his young and immortal sense of self is letting him do stuff that Rossi, though capable of, may have outgrown the willingness to try.

Moto GP needed this. I also think that DP has been taking some coaching on dealing with the media. He is getting better.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #162
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Even though the Jerez incidents were almost identical, it seems like Marquez has a more spotted history. He's more like Simoncelli than Rossi in that respect.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #163
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Hilarious that just as Pedro got some coaching on how not to appear to be the dour brooding sourpuss that he really is, his teammate is the one the media really want to interview.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #164
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Even though the Jerez incidents were almost identical, it seems like Marquez has a more spotted history. He's more like Simoncelli than Rossi in that respect.
I can't disagree with that, just pointing out that the kid isn't that much different than Valentino. FWIW, I love both their riding styles as well as that of Jorge and Dani. Different ways around the track and great to watch.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #165
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
I thought I wouldn't miss Stoner, but I was wrong.
Today I realized I will never get to see Marquez use Casey as a berm, nor
will I hear Casey's post race retort.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote