Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Mattbastard OP
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,957
Which GPS for Street use only

New to the GPS world. All I've ever used is my TomTom in a car, and that was just for my rental cars during work travel.

Now I've got a need for a GPS that can/is:

Programmable from a computer. By that I mean I can use a Google Maps type program to build a route and load it into my GPS, then head out

Is waterproof

Has mounting to bike accessories. RAM ball, etc..

Priced around $200 for a ready to mount unit.

That's about it. Anything above and beyond that is more or less a waste of my money and will take strong convincing to buy into. Don't need bluetooth, wi-fi, etc...

I've already read about the Garmin 2730, which seems like a reasonable unit, but is discontinued apparently. I don't care about modern electronics, I'd buy the damn thing if it had tubes and did what I want it to do.

Thanks everyone!
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,918
I do not believe there is a CURRENT model that meets your requirements at the price point specified.

ETA: Oregon 450 is about $200 http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-450.html but the power connector is a mini-USB which inmates here claim to be problematic on a motorcycle.

The Zumo series (660 or 350) meets your needs as stated, however is in the area of 3x the price you seek.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF

Emoto screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 12:13 PM
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
The Zumo series (660 or 350) meets your needs as stated, however is in the area of 3x the price you seek.
TomTom's new Rider (version 5) is supposedly going to start shipping on May 15th in the US. But it's 2x the price you want. It comes with a powered RAM mount, is waterproof, can be programmed via a computer. But it has Bluetooth; I think most current motorcycle GPSes do, so you can hear spoken directions in your helmet via a communicator of some type.

Good luck, I've been on the same kind of search myself.

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Mattbastard OP
Lazy ass

Ok, so I'm cheap. What fits my requirements but to hell with the price?

Be reasonable though, please.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Ok, so I'm cheap. What fits my requirements but to hell with the price?

Be reasonable though, please.

Thanks

You can get used GPS units for short money. Here is a used 2720 for $120: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetP...reetpilot+2820 I unerstand they are on ebay as well - I have not done any comparison shopping on them. But, I still have a 2720 that I keep in my Jeep now, but it worked on my bike for years and still works fine. If the GPS have never been registered with Garmin, I think Garmin will let you have a single map update for free (they used to do this, but not sure if they still do) so you would have good maps. Otherwise you might choose to update your map set (if you care) which might cost you $80-100. So, that is one option, and not a bad one.

The Zumo 350LM has a $100 rebate on it right now, which makes it $549 at most places. LM=Lifetime map updates. I have one and it works quite well. I have some minor peeves about it, but I would have them on anything; I'm like that.

The Zumo 660LM is $649 and has more features than the 350, but since you're only doing street, you don't need all of them. Compare them on Garmin.com to see the differences.

Also, the Montana is very good. (I have a 650T) but its feature set has more options for dirt riders than street riders (IMO). You can use it to navigate routes on the street just fine, except it does not have a detour feature if you hit construction or a closed road. There are workarounds for that, but they take a few more keystrokes.

The TomTom unit that is about to come out is an unknown quantity.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 401
There is another option being used by riders here. I have a Zumo so don't have one yet but may get one for any KLR/DR I get soon...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ht=chinavision
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Mattbastard OP
Lazy ass

Thank you very much for the input, but here's where it led me:

I already have a Tomtom One with the Ram mount. I couldn't get over that I couldn't set a route in there somehow so I googled the hell out of it until I got on the right track. Really long story short, I plowed over the version that was on it with an older version that supported Itinerary Planning, then hacked the main menu with a custom .txt file that opens up the Itinerary Planning, then downloaded the Tyre program to test it out. I created some cheezy trip around the block with waypoints throughout, saved it, and copied it to the TomTom while it was plugged in to the PC. After it was loaded I worked my way around the device to load the Itinerary and it worked. I just have to use more waypoints to get the exact route I need because quickest route wasn't what I selected, but it was close.

For my use, which is Rustic Road trip planning, it'll work perfect. I may get sick of the non-waterproofness of this devise and upgrade so none of this information will go wasted. Thanks all for your help.