Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,261
MX helmet for road use

Sorry if this is 205

I'm looking for a really nice new lid, and haven't been able to find any DS helmets in stock nearby to try on. Is there anything wrong with a nice mx style lid for dirt road and some lower speed pavement use? Kid at the shop seemed to think so, but I was under the impression that snell/dot rating meant it was inspected and passed for road use. Btw - thinking of Aria vx-pro. Want the mx style for airflow, most of my riding is off road.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
The Snell/DOT ratings are for impacts, regardless of where they take place. The key to what you are proposing is just what you said....'lower' road speeds. The issue I have wearing an MX-style helmet on the highway is that the visor catches the air and pulls your head up and back. Under about 50 mph, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
The off-road helmet will flow lots more air than a full-face helmet. Since you are from New England, I suspect this would be welcome in the warmest months, but less so in the shoulder months. The peak is awful at any find of speed.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Look at Arai's offroad series. I've been using one of these for almost 3 years now and it's one of the best helmets I've owned - absolutely worth the money.

Edit: regarding speed, I've gone 95mph+ with this helmet and it's not an issue. These are designed specifically to be used on and offroad and have the peaks vented as such so that they don't catch wind and pull your head back. Anyone saying peaks all catch wind need to try out some modern helmets. Shoei also makes a similar type of helmet but I can't personally comment on its fit/finish.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 111
I have XD4 and LS2 helmets and the LS2 is actually better. Quieter and less visor lift. I think I got the LS2 and a atomic Moto and the XD at motorcycle superstore. I was shocked when my 169 dollar LS2 was better than the 400 dollar XD. Live and learn. Htht S
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
I was shocked when my 169 dollar LS2 was better than the 400 dollar XD. Live and learn. Htht S
Define "better". Comfort, protection, price? Choose two.

I've heard the "the cheaper one was better!" line from HJC owners and various other budget minded folks as well, and I know the argument pretty well.

Myself, I've owned some cheap Fox mx helmets as well as other expensive brands but even though the fit might have initially been better on the cheap lid, the Arai helmets have always "settled" into a form fitting perfection after a month of riding and then kept it's comfort for 3+ years - at which point I buy a new one for safety reasons. I've never had a Fox or other cheap brand helmet last more than 1 - 1.5 seasons of hard riding.

Of course this is all opinion, and that's the point: forum posts about items of wear that are governed by the shape of your body or other very subjective topics are generally a waste of time. What works for one person isn't objective fact. Budget is also annoying to see on forums where opinion is involved - expensive vs cheap is remarkably relative and a $450 arai helmet might mean an hour of work to one person vs a week of work to another.

OP, go try on all the helmets you can find and buy what works - that means trying it out yourself and not asking for subjective opinion from the internet. Visor wind deflection might be great for your riding position on one helmet and be crap when compared to another forum member using the same helmet.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
OP, go try on all the helmets you can find and buy what works - that means trying it out yourself and not asking for subjective opinion from the internet. Visor wind deflection might be great for your riding position on one helmet and be crap when compared to another forum member using the same helmet.
My question is if a SNELL/DOT rated MX style helmet is safe for use on the road, that's all. I haven't been able to find any DS lids to try on, but have spent a few hours trying on different helmets that are in stock around here. I realize fit/protection/comfort/budget etc is purely individual, and that's why I refuse to mail order a $500 helmet I haven't tried on. The Aria VX-Pro has been the best fitting lid I've found, I'm solely looking to confirm it's ok to be used on the street before I buy. I'm not concerned about visor wind deflection or anything else, only safety.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
My question is if a SNELL/DOT rated MX style helmet is safe for use on the road, that's all. I haven't been able to find any DS lids to try on, but have spent a few hours trying on different helmets that are in stock around here. I realize fit/protection/comfort/budget etc is purely individual, and that's why I refuse to mail order a $500 helmet I haven't tried on. The Aria VX-Pro has been the best fitting lid I've found, I'm solely looking to confirm it's ok to be used on the street before I buy. I'm not concerned about visor wind deflection or anything else, only safety.
All helmets sold in the U.S are required to be DOT certified.

A DOT/Snell rating relates to the helmet's ability to withstand an impact (I'm being general here), regardless of its environment. There isn't any difference between its ability to withstand this impact whether its used in the dirt, street or track. Some people will say that your impact in the dirt will be different than that on the street, but that doesn't affect the 'amount' of impact the helmet can absorb.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,965
Absolutely, just fine on the road.

Through the summer I usually wear my MX helmet commuting around town. Gets a little annoying at 55+, if i'm doing any highway I usually take my DS helmet. But for the 45m/h commute through town, the MX helmet flows a lot more air and fits sunglasses well.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Look at Arai's offroad series. I've been using one of these for almost 3 years now and it's one of the best helmets I've owned - absolutely worth the money.

Edit: regarding speed, I've gone 95mph+ with this helmet and it's not an issue. These are designed specifically to be used on and offroad and have the peaks vented as such so that they don't catch wind and pull your head back. Anyone saying peaks all catch wind need to try out some modern helmets. Shoei also makes a similar type of helmet but I can't personally comment on its fit/finish.

+1 I have over 40K miles with an XD and now an XD4. They are spendy but well worth it.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,293
I like my XD3, but I can tell you that at over 120mph the peak folds back like a duckbill..

Not that I would know about that...
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
I like my XD3, but I can tell you that at over 120mph the peak folds back like a duckbill..

Not that I would know about that...

I have heard that the XD will survive at 120. I have not heard about the XD4. Hmmm, I think I need to take the bike out this weekend.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote