Michelin Pilot Road 3 1 3.03%
Shinko 705 4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Ravenslair OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
95 / 5 tire for commuting

I am going to piss off the crowd, but oh well. I ride about 95 / 5 with my 04 GSA due to kids and other things that get in the way. Luckily, I am able make it to Starbucks once in a while. I ride 50 miles round trip four days a week to work. I am looking for the best bang for my buck for a set of commuting tires. I am in the Sacramento, CA area. We get about 12-14 inches of rain a year and only for four or so months. I want a tire that will work well year round (which is what I ride) and deliver the best safety as well as cost per mile. I am not someone that likes to touch the pegs in corners, but want a tire that will hold in the corners well and not want to slide out during the rain (although I slow it down quite a bit in the winter). I am 200lbs. I am running a K60 front and Shinko 705 rear as that is what was on the bike when I bought it. The K60 looks like it will last a very long time. It is a bit noisy and likes to track lines in the roadway at slow speed. The Shinko looks like it will get around 6,000 miles, maybe more. I know there are a lot of you with extensive history, thus the reason for a thread that is usually beat to death. Plus, I know tires are a personal matter, but there is no way around that.

Ravenslair screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 10:24 PM
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I take it you mean Bridgestone Battlewing (not Battlax)?

I'm probably going Anakee 3 next, but take that with a grain of salt, as I'll be trying something new. I'm just going on Internet reviews from Anakee 2 users that seem generally positive.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
F.P.
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 386
Shinko 705s. For the price, unbeatable. I think I paid $250-275 delivered to my front door, for the SET.
(my son at 8 years old)
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Ravenslair OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I did mean Battle Wing, but the Battlax would be a good choice as well. Thanks for catching that. Unfortunately I cannot change the poll to include the Battle Wing.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Hard to beat a Tourance (not the EXP). For street riding and light off-road, they stick to the road and last a LONG time. I'm about to try something different but only because I am finding more and more mud to ride in and they are not good for that. Dirt, gravel and even rocks are fine on the tourance.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I just finished off my third set of Anakee 2s and I couldn't be happier with them. 14,000 miles on the last set and they wore out at the same time. I'm trying out a set of Heidenau K76s this time around.

-B
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I voted Tourance only as that's what I currently have. I get between 10-12K miles max. I'd like to see the same on a reasonable grippy tire that works in the rain, quieter would be nice too. The Tourances are good for about 18 months.

I'm not worried about anything more than gravel roads as I have a dirt bike for that. Well dirt wheels anyweay the DRZ spends more time in SM trim. Which by the way I am trying Road 3's on and am happy so far. The 2's lasted well and the SM doesn't see near the miles the GS does, like 1/4 to 1/3.

I have essentially the same riding profile as the OP, and all the same reasons.

I am on the fence between Road 3's, Tourance Next, Anakee 3's, or?
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
What about the Conti Trail Attacks?

I am now halfway through a set of Anakee 2's, and I hate them! Buzzy on the road, noisy and the front is displaying those strange raised sections along the front. On my recent 2000 mile trip to the mountains and back I stopped at 2 dealerships for fun and while there had them look at my front tire. They both stated that they had seen these strange bumps before and that it didn't seem to pose a safety threat. they also said that they couldn't give these things away. When I got home I looked on the BMWMOA forums and found a thread with pictures of the exact strange bumps. I tried to contact Michelin but as you can guess got blown off. At least they do not make them anymore.
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
If you are buying them in the next 2 weeks or so use the coupon codes for Moto superstore

I posted them yesterday in another thread, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=15
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I run the Conti Road Attack 2's in the same situation as you. I run up I-5 on a GSA for a round trip of 70 mi 3-6 days a week and they seem to do well. I've had them on for about 6-7000 mi and the rear has the typical commuter's center flat spot but still has enough rubber under it to go a few thousand more. They stick well enough for me when I'm on Latrobe Road or head in to the foothills. I'll probably put on another rear because the front looks good. Tire pressures are 31 front, 33 rear. I liked them so much I put them on my K12. I weigh 150, run without cases most of the time and I ride quickly enough but don't push real hard on the street (save it for the track).
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 248
I voted A3's because I'm impressed with them so far. I would suggest you research and do a comparative analysis of the PR3 and PR3 Trail. The harder center may give you longer life on the slab and certainly meet all weather handling and rain requirements.
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
I'd seriously consider the Heidenau K76 if I were you. I've gotten over 10k miles out of the two sets I've run so far, and they each had probably 4k-5k miles left in them when they were changed.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Enforcer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Shinko 705

Just put on another set of Shinko 705's I got at my local Cycle Gear for $172.00 out the door for the set. Just got back this weekend from a 500 mile wet ride in western Arkansas and headed to the Texas Hill Country next week.

I used these tires for many miles on my KLR and VStrom 1000 with never an issue. I have tried most brands, and I find the Shinkos hard to beat for the money. I get excellent performance and decent mileage out of them for being a 90/10 rider.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
I'd seriously consider the Heidenau K76 if I were you. I've gotten over 10k miles out of the two sets I've run so far, and they each had probably 4k-5k miles left in them when they were changed.
I just mounted a new set of K76'es on my R1200GS and they seem to be really nice tires at about 2/3rds of the Tourance price.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
I ran regular Tourance (not EXP) on my 1150 with 42psi, got 14,000 from a rear with some front still left. All pavement, mostly camping equipment and one person on bike. Fast riding, all weather, Great in the rain.

Except in Canada and Alasak! Tore up the rear a lot quicker.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote