Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #46
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 979
It's a awesome city bike, unfortunately the thieves think its awesome too. Its nimble, narrow for lane splitting, tall to see over cars and if you stand on the pegs, Small SUVs as well.

The engine is smooth like a streetbike, little to no vibration in the bars, the exhaust is quiet, but sounds good. Its has enough power to be fun and allows for hooliganism, but not enough that you'll need to spend a night in jail.

I'm biased here obviously, but I can be objective too. I use to commute on it almost daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post
Simon, how's the WR as a "city" bike. I realize that's not what it was designed for but my dual sports serve double duty for me. They are ridden on forest service roads as well as in and out of Seattle traffic. I currently use my XT250 as my commuter, visit friends and places in the city, and nearby easy FS road machine but the WR looks like a possible future upgrade.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Thanks for the quick reply Simon! Your location probably tests the limits of how a motorcycle handles a big city environment.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #48
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Yeah, man. I used to commute on a KTM 990 ADV as well as a recently sold and hot-rodded HPN Style R80g/s. I've dropped those beast and looked a fool at times trying to wrestle them over bumps while parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Simon! Your location probably tests the limits of how a motorcycle handles a big city environment.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #49
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Bba

BERKSHIRES BIG ADVENTURE 5/18–19, 2013

Here's what went down:
Friday night, My friend his lady and his dog packed up in the later hours from his Garage in NYC and didn't make to Prospect Mountain until 2:30. Exhausted and tired, we made camp and crashed.

photo P1030499_zps57bb618c.jpg

FRIDAY
The next morning we woke up, unloaded the bikes, and scrambled to get food, gas, and sign up. It was a bit of clusterf•ck and ended up being one of the last to leave — around 11:15.

Got a spot next to the lake.

photo P1030501_zpsb977942b.jpg

Ran into BrooklynOffRoader on his sweet KTM 950

photo P1030503_zps0c88fc53.jpg

The starting field, which was also the site of the primitive free camping area.

photo P1030507_zpse12fd72a.jpg

The highlights of this ride were the sweet hero sections. The 1st of the day was a level 4 and comprised mostly of single track with mild elevation and off camber hills. The other level 3 and 2 heros consist of fast and rough rocky jeeps trails which were fun.

WRR in the woods.

photo P1030514_zpsb212b2df.jpg

Crashed plane in the woods.

photo P1030516_zps96308df7.jpg

photo P1030519_zpsc149e71f.jpg

Crashed once due to the forks deflecting off a big rock, so I dialed the fork rebound from 5 clicks to 4 clicks in (stiffer) and that made a noticeable difference. The front end felt less active.

Our day ended after 40 miles as we lost a lot of time getting lost. Made it back to camp around 4:45, made a fire and grilled up some hotdogs and marshmellows.

photo P1030538_zps685675ec.jpg

SATURDAY
Woke up to a greyer and cooler weather.

photo P1030547_zps5dfed5ff.jpg

photo P1030551_zps76784b4b.jpg

photo P1030552_zps5355d28b.jpg

The 1st hero was the same as yesterdays hero so we did that again - easier the second time since I was a lot looser today. Navigation became eaiser as well as I began to get use to the roll chart system. Rode most all of today except the last Level 4 Hero at the end of the day.

It was a mostly rainy and cold day and the only drama happened on a big water hole at one of the heros where my rear tire slid out and the bike went under. Being worried that I drowned the bike, we lifted the front wheel but not much water came out. I fire it up and it came back to life. This is one of those instances where I think a restrictive pipe (with all the chambers and baffles) negates a direct path to the exhaust port, which is advantageous for not drowning ones bike when briefly submerged.

photo P1030558_zps015a216f.jpg

Stopped along the way to get some coffee with the sweep riders 5 minutes behind us.

photo P1030560_zps928a8a83.jpg

Got back to camp around 5:30 - cold, wet and exhausted. Took a fantastic long hot shower, broke down and hit the road back to NYC.

photo P1030568_zps26a0dec7.jpg

photo P1030571_zpsc27d6da4.jpg

Woke up next morning and gave the dirty girl a wash.

photo IMG_2728_zps6f5e54cc.jpg

WRR Observations: I need new taller handlebars. Couldn't stand comfortably and when I did, It felt like I had too much weight forward, hunched over, and couldn't get back far enough. Also manage to bend my shift lever and will be replacing it with a MSR aluminum one. Overall, really like the 12/47 gearing for single track.

simonpig screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 12:46 PM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #50
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,775
Nice.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #51
simonpig OP
packin' heat

BBA Video

A brief video I cut together of the GoPro for the 1st level 4 hero. It's all I got really as I forgot to turn off the WiFi Backpack unit overnight and wasn't able to have access to the camera easily.

Also, once things get strenuous, I tend to start to focus more on not crashing or just getting out of stuck situations rather than filming. Still, I'd like to make it a habit of filming these.

Here it is. Nothing exciting, but nevertheless.

simonpig screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 10:41 PM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #52
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,138
Nice area to ride... you must have got to it early before the hordes turned it into a quad width trail.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #53
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,151
Nice ride report. Thanks for coming and hope to see you again. Ross
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thanks! I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Nice ride report. Thanks for coming and hope to see you again. Ross
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #55
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Racetech Suspension Gold Valves Questions

So after this weekends ride, I'm really missing the Go Race Suspension on the old bike. I've got 2 options which is either send this set of suspension in and have Travis at Go Race Set me up again.

Or I could order a the Racetech Gold Valves for the forks and shock and do the work myself. A friend of mine has a nitrogen setup for the shock.

I have a hookup for a 20% discount on the Racetech Parts. If I go that route, I could at least get intimate with the suspension and maybe learn something new, and I'm alway down for learning something new.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on this. I've searched the interweb, but haven't seen any writeups. Any knowledge or advice appreciated.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #56
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
There is a motovlogger that just had his drz400 completely redone by two guys and they show step by step everything they did over like 20 vids. The bike owners you tube is EVERRIDE the mechanics channel is MR DUHFACTOR. Check out their vids.
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #57
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Yeah just checked 3 of mrDuhfactors vids are on shock revalve and 3 are on fork revalve they are pretty extensive.
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thanks. Those were really great. Still a mystery in terms of shim stacks, but I'm assuming Racetech probably has some base settings to begin with.

Seems involved though and maybe a January-February type project. Don't want to have my bike in pieces during the prime of riding season. I might just ride out this season on stock suspension and decide end of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Yeah just checked 3 of mrDuhfactors vids are on shock revalve and 3 are on fork revalve they are pretty extensive.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #59
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,334
That's one of the reasons I went with GoRace. I opted to pay for his knowledge regarding shim stack setups and such. Plus I like the idea of the KYB seal head upgrade. I'm not sure if you could do that yourself without machine tools.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #60
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Completely agree. Just ideas I'm batting around. Most likely I will go back to Travis. He seems to be the most famous WRR suspension guru and has done some testing (to what extent, I don't know) for this particular bike and that is invaluable.

At the least, he has worked on more than a handful of these bikes and has made improvements to the setup along the way.

In my limited feeble suspension experience, I feel like any pro suspension person can revalve the suspension, but to the have regular experience and feedback from riders and testing is the most important factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
That's one of the reasons I went with GoRace. I opted to pay for his knowledge regarding shim stack setups and such. Plus I like the idea of the KYB seal head upgrade. I'm not sure if you could do that yourself without machine tools.