User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #91
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,083
Motion Pro Micro Bleeder

Time for some bleeder action. Use to have the System Tech Bleeders, but these are cheaper and I like them better.

photo DSC_7882_zps4d35ea2a.jpg

On the bike

photo P1030927_zps81ace23a.jpg

Also got some new shoes on the rear. Question though: I ran 110/100 - 18 inch tubes and they are noticeably smaller than the stock tubes. They are MSR Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes. Is that OK?

I've heard you can go one size smaller on the tubes and still be OK.

New shoes ready for Hancock this weekend.

photo P1030929_zpsab29e691.jpg
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #92
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Motion Pro Lite Locks

In addition to the new rear D606 rear tire, I've installed the Motion Pro Lite Locks on the rear. I installed the front one earlier.

Weight:
Motion Pro LiteLocs Front 1.6 oz (45.3 grams)
Motion Pro LiteLocs Rear 2.6 oz (73.7 grams)

photo null_zps7acc02e2.jpg

The front ones

photo null_zps5ac1c745.jpg

Also, as I'm going through the bike, I decide to check to see if my clip on the master link was still intact.... Nope. For some reason, the WRR likes to spit out master links. Anyway, it's always something that has bothered me, so instead of replacing the master link, I will be using a safety wire instead.

Really though, for the longest time I can remember I've never been able to retain the clip, though that chain has stayed intact. The press on plates stay in place regardless of clip or not. Still, it makes me paranoid, so this is my solution. I'll keep an eye out on it.

Safty Wire "Clip"

photo null_zps3249038e.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 01:54 PM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #93
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,849
1: MSR tube...same tube I have had in my rear tire for last two or so years....heavy, but perfectly fine. Stock tube just seemed bigger since it was stretched from the air.

2. Safety wire masterlink clip: Not a bad idea, but I would not bend in, the center area. You are adding a small amount of length to it, and potentially making it easier to come off. It will work just the same with a straight run from one pin to the next.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #94
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
1: MSR tube...same tube I have had in my rear tire for last two or so years....heavy, but perfectly fine. Stock tube just seemed bigger since it was stretched from the air.
Thanks, that's good to hear, I think I'll be going with the smaller size tube from now then 110/100 vs. 120/80(100) then. It cost less and seems lighter too.

I was mostly worried that the bead was not setting with the smaller tube, but some of that was tempered by the installing the rimlock.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #95
simonpig OP
packin' heat

FYYFF, see you at the Quarry Run.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #96
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Motion Pro Lite Locks

In addition to the new rear D606 rear tire, I've installed the Motion Pro Lite Locks on the rear. I installed the front one earlier.

photo null_zps7acc02e2.jpg

The front ones

photo null_zps5ac1c745.jpg

Also, as I'm going through the bike, I decide to check to see if my clip on the master link was still intact.... Nope. For some reason, the WRR likes to spit out master links. Anyway, it's always something that has bothered me, so instead of replacing the master link, I will be using a safety wire instead.

Really though, for the longest time I can remember I've never been able to retain the clip, though that chain has stayed intact. The press on plates stay in place regardless of clip or not. Still, it makes me paranoid, so this is my solution. I'll keep an eye out on it.

Safty Wire "Clip"

photo null_zps3249038e.jpg

Nice bike Simonpig. How hard are those lite locks to install, and do you notice any tire vibrations now?
Thanks,
Randy

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #97
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Motion Pro Lite Locks

The front ones

Safty Wire "Clip"

That wire on the master link........what would happen if a stick or rock deformed the middle section that is pulled together? Seems like the wire would fall right off easily.
If the clip is coming off there must be sharp edge it is catching on to make it come off,chainguide or something.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #98
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Yes that wiring should be redone. Get a safety wire pliers if you don't already have them and put twists in the section between the pins just like you did on the end. The twists in the center will pull the wire under the pins' edges from all sides. Ride now, the wire is only resting under 2/3rds the edge of each pin, the inside edges are unsupported by the wire.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #99
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,902
As others have said, there are only a couple of reasons for losing a slide on chain clip. Hitting something on the bike that is clipping it or it is put on backwards or not properly in the first place. Can't even remember how many I have used of these and never lost one or even heard of guys I ride with losing one while it is on the bike. You should just get a chain riveting tool to fix it until it needs replacing if something is causing the slip on to be removed.

Something is rubbing on the leading edge of that joining side plate just below the pin and there isn't that much wear showing on the other side plates in the same area in the photo. Is it the correct joining link for that chain or is it wider than the chain?

xronly

Cruz screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 10:47 PM
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #100
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
Yes that wiring should be redone. Get a safety wire pliers if you don't already have them and put twists in the section between the pins just like you did on the end. The twists in the center will pull the wire under the pins' edges from all sides. Ride now, the wire is only resting under 2/3rds the edge of each pin, the inside edges are unsupported by the wire.
I do have a safety wire plier which I used on the clip right now.

Was thinking about what mentioned above after looking at the picture. I'll do that when and if it falls off. I just got finished doing a tough Hancock Ride in which the bikes been dragged through woods and crashed numerous times.

Lo and behold the safty wire clip is still intact.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #101
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Something is rubbing on the leading edge of that joining side plate just below the pin and there isn't that much wear showing on the other side plates in the same area in the photo. Is it the correct joining link for that chain or is it wider than the chain?
Yes, its the correct connecting link. The chain guide and block is straight. The only thing I can think of is rough single track riding through mud/sapling/sticks causing it to catch and fall off?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #102
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Nice bike Simonpig. How hard are those lite locks to install, and do you notice any tire vibrations now?
Thanks,
Randy
I roughly balanced them by transplanting the 2 spoke weights that were already on the bike to the opposite side of the Lite Locs.

The front rimlock is 46 grams and the rear is 74 grams, so I figure if you add a little bit under that weight (to account for the valve stem weight) to the opposite sides you should be fine. I don't think it's a perfect balance but I don't feel in the ride or think about, so I'm good.

They are not too hard to install, just have to be methodical and make sure it is inside the tire before spooning.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #103
simonpig OP
packin' heat

2013 Quarry Run, Hancock, NY - August 3–4

Left NYC around 5pm and filtered my way through traffic and over the GW Bridge. About 3 hours of droning at 65 on the highway, I make to it fireman's field just after sunset.

Rode around looking for familiar faces. I knew there was were gonna be some people I knew showing up. After a couple of minutes, I run into Gary, whom I rode with at Durty Dabbers a couple of months earlier. Set up camp in front of his tent and went over to hang out with the LI Adv'ers.

photo P1030930_zps83a34119.jpg

Kicked back some beers and caught up next to the fire before going to bed.

photo P1030937_zpsbf806b11.jpg

Next morning, I got up and registered. The line at the tech inspection which involved checking for headlight and tailights (and maybe a plate?) was bustling. It was nice they provided a table with scissors and tape for putting together the roll chart.

photo P1030938_zpse19ad71c.jpg

Day 1

That morning, I was planning on riding with Tammy, Rudy, Gene - a group of 6 people total.

photo P1030939_zpscedca023.jpg

But after the first section, I was letting allot of the 2 stroke guys by. In the tight stuff, they just kept coming and coming like a swarm of killer bees. The distance between the group and I was growing and growing. After letting what seemed like village of rider's by, I continued on.

On the way, I ran into Ben and Lou. Ben had lost his seat bolt. I figure at this point, I was too far behind anyway, so I stopped to lend a hand. Hancock is one of those rides that will separate groups and very easily especially if you have a problem. Your team can't go backward to get you simply because it is a one way ride, it's too tight and you will hit someone head-on if you try.

Because of this and at it's lowest common denominator, it's a "every man, woman and child for themselves" style ride. You need to be able to confident enough in your abilities and strength to tackle the obstacles. There's help from other riders if you need it, but I don't get the feeling there is allot of sympathy if your ability is borderline or lacking or you just plain suck. Sucks to suck.

I didn't stop too much to take photos because I was trying to keep a rhythm and steady pace. There was a couple of nasty slick loose hillclimbs I had to take 2 or more runs at which zapped allot of my energy. If you didn't make it up, you needed to go down otherwise, it was nearly impossible to start mid hill.

Finally make it to the 1st lunch stop. I was the last guy in, burned too much time at the first hill climb catching my breath, and started growing roots as I watch a slew of riders going up, and coming back down, and awaiting an opportunity for a clear path.

photo P1030940_zps220951c1.jpg

After lunch, the trail started going downhill through some very rough rocky fast wide trail.

On the way down, I notice a KTM leaning his bike up the trail and asked him what was up. Turned out, a rider on a Honda XR650L got bucked sideways and rode off into the ravine. He was OK, thankfully, but 2 other rider help him maneuver his bike to the trail below. Thankfully, there was one because XR650L's are heavy and pulling it up would have been epic.

photo P1030942_zps23471c95.jpg

After confirming they were good, I got back on my bike and continued on. Dropped my bike a couple of time as I'm really getting exhausted. Several turns later, we hit a really steep downhill section. At walking pace, I lose balance, on the down side of the hill and with no where to put my leg, the bike fall on top of the side of my knee. Thought I might've broken something, but I had to lay there and wait for the pain to subside. Above, I could hear a bike coming and the rider check in - it was actually the XR that fell in earlier. I must've of scared the guy a bit because he though I passed out on him as I layed still for a bit.

After helping me up and getting back on the trail, we make it out half a mile later at the bottom and I head on the highway back camp - scraped, bruised and battered.

On the way, I stop at an ice cream stand to reward myself for surviving and without broken bones. While in line, Gary and Jeff pull up in a minivan - they have bailed as well. Jeff tweaked his knee on the trail and decided to call it a day.

photo P1030946_zpse26a4d26.jpg

Mint Chocolate Chip for the pain.

photo P1030945_zpsa239d3eb.jpg

Back at camp

photo P1030949_zps8ac1b0d6.jpg

My favorite part of camping … campfires.

photo P1030953_zpsc76f4f34.jpg

After bathing in the Delaware River, I washed the 25 pounds of dirt off the bike to prepare for the next days ride.

photo P1030956_zps4616024a.jpg

photo P1030957_zps45c196df.jpg

An hour or so later, Hal pulls in and half hour after, Lou pulls in. They had both finished the day completing most of the hero sections, a very impressive feat though they were hating life the last 25 or so miles and were wondering why they decided to press on.

Lou and 250

photo P1030959_zps22be13a4.jpg

Rudi and family stopped by to say Hi. I felt bad, it turned out Rudi waited for me for quite a bit of time and I never showed so he kept going.

I head over to see what they got cookin at Rudi's - Wieners and Sausages.

photo P1030966_zpsfbaba512.jpg

Mini Grill wasn't cutting it, so let's bust out the propane grill.

photo P1030967_zps8e77f97a.jpg

Pete and Edyta were also at the ride with their son and Edyta's mom, but were doing a road ride completely independent of mayhem that is Quarry Run.

photo P1030971_zpsff526dba.jpg

Later in the evening, Hal put on a video of ISDE ride as inspiration for the next day.

photo P1030972_zpsa00d9ee3.jpg

Day 2

Was questioning if I wanted to do Day 2. I was pretty sore but decided to go for it. If I could do 20 of the 80 miles I would be happy. My leg was swollen and I didn't think I could do nasty hill climbs today.

Kenny fueling up

photo P1030975_zpsffd0692e.jpg

The morning's ride was full of tight switchback style single track. After 20 miles in, dropping the bike numerous times, stalling it, overheating it, and biting the dust on steep downhills, I bail. Really wished I had a 2 stroke for this type of riding - It would make life a little easier.

Got back to camp around 12:30 and started packing up.

photo P1030978_zpsf97ed849.jpg

Limped over and grabbed the roasted chicken lunch

photo P1030980_zps84e953c8.jpg

Intended to leave after eating, but it went from this:

photo P1030981_zps2c83fe12.jpg

to pissing down rain. Kenny washing the big peices of mud off his bike..PS, it's raining brah

photo P1030984_zps4e6e411f.jpg

Ben got in shortly after it started raining. As quickly as it came, it left.

photo P1030985_zpsbd93503b.jpg

Gary rolled in shortly after the rain stopped, and without thinking, threw his keys in his car, shut the door and hit the lock button instead of unlock. We all thought he was doomed as it was a Sunday and finding a locksmith in a small town would prove difficult.

But NO, not today... This was one one of the most awesome thing I had the pleasure of witnessing. A rider comes over with a wood block and a long metal rod with a crook on the end and in the blink of an eye, the van door was open. It was pretty fantastic how easy that problem was to solve, but also freaky how easy it is to break into a car.

photo P1030987_zps7df67e14.jpg

photo P1030988_zpsaf1343d4.jpg

Gary, too, was blown away by the awesomeness.

photo P1030990_zps1b1dc46e.jpg

After the sun came back out, I hopped on and rode out.

simonpig screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 01:11 PM
Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #104
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Video comin up…
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #105
simonpig OP
packin' heat

The Hancock Trail Ride Report is on the previous page.

Here's the film

2013 Quarry Run - Film

simonpig screwed with this post 11-16-2014 at 02:24 AM