Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #106
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 986
The Hancock Trail Ride Report is on the previous page.

Here's the film

2013 Quarry Run - Film
Part 1

simonpig screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 04:37 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #107
simonpig OP
packin' heat

2013 Quarry Run - Film
Part 2

simonpig screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 04:40 AM
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #108
simonpig OP
packin' heat

2013 Quarry Run - Film
Part 3

simonpig screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:51 AM
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #109
Tadpole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Nice Video! In video 2, there was a guy who passed you in a muddy spot - he got really close to you as he passed. That would have irritated me.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #110
simonpig OP
packin' heat

It happens, and he wasn't blasting by or popping wheelies in front of me, so I was fine with it. I did give him a wide berth though.

It's most annoying is when some jackass deliberately tries to pass you at 1000 miles an hour as if to make a statement on how fast they are really going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Nice Video! In video 2, there was a guy who passed you in a muddy spot - he got really close to you as he passed. That would have irritated me.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #111
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Motion Universal Seat Cover

It's been a several of weeks since Hancock Quarry Run, and from then to now, I came to the realization that I've hit the wall with the WRR on crazy technical single track like the ones found in Hancock. No amount of suspension work is going to drop 60 pounds off this bike. So, I bought a 2000 KTM 300 EXC on Craigslist in Connecticut and had a friend go secure it for me.

I still plan on working on the WRR suspension, but just not now. The KTM was to be had for cheap, seems like a better solution to the Hancock problem, but mostly I needed some 2 stroke in my life.

More on that later, but for now, I need to fix the torn seat on the WRR. The fan is also making a funny sound but I think there's some foliage stuck in it. Need to crack it open.

Bought this seat cover off of Ebay for pretty cheap but they can be had here in a variety of colors:

https://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/...seat-cover/104

photo P1030996_zpsa9d3e9c7.jpg

I've always been bothered that the seat on the WRR slopes forward. It's OK when I'm on level ground, but on downhill, I seem to slide forward more easily. It doesn't help that the stock seat cover is a bit slick.

So I looked on Youtube and saw a video of how to make a seat hump. This involved procuring a open cell foam Protaper Mini Handlebar Pad and slicing it in half with a razor.

Took the seat cover off

photo P1030997_zpse343021b.jpg

I then used some 3M Super 77 Adhesive, sprayed the marked off seat surface and the bar pad, let them dry to a tacky feel and then bonded them together.

photo P1040001_zps41ab8dee.jpg

photo P1040002_zpscc7ba17b.jpg

Finished it off by taping the hump for added support

photo P1040003_zpsed0bb353.jpg

I bought a used Arrow ET50RED stapler thinking I could save some moneys but looking at the seat, some of the staples are recessed into crevices. Beyond that the electric stapler sucked. The stapler wasn't powerful enough to drive in the 1/4" 18 gage staples. Very disappointing.

So, I nutted up and acquired a 1 gallon compressor with a 3/8" crown upholstery air stapler.

photo DSC_7924_zps7dab1860.jpg

What a difference! No effort, buttery smooth. Anyone thinking they can save a buck, don't. The only electric stapler that could do the job is just as expensive as a compressor setup.

The finished product:

photo DSC_7926_zps944f8d7b.jpg

photo DSC_7925_zps863774d3.jpg

photo DSC_7927_zpsaf2acaaf.jpg

Positioning of the seat hump is matter of preference, I put it so that on hills, I'm not sliding back, but on down hills, I can put my chode on the hump or behind it to give me support from sliding forward.

photo P1040020_zps09e69d82.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 10:47 PM
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #112
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Broken Fan Rotor Mount

Found out what was making the weird scraping sounds when the fan kicked in. Somehow, the ABS plastic blade mounting area came separated and melted from the metal rotor part.

photo P1040005_zps98809cd5.jpg

Not sure how it happened, but when I manually turn the fan by hand, a quarter of the blade came in contact with the Radiator.

photo P1040006_zpscbd4f848.jpg

So I unmounted the fan, drill holes in the blade assembly

photo P1040010_zpseeffbb3b.jpg

Kneaded up JB Weld and lined the inside

photo P1040012_zps478b740e.jpg

Cut some safety wire and wrapped them around the rotor unit. There are 4 safety wire shown here, but I ended up using only 2. It was easier that way and plenty secure.

photo P1040013_zps4c3f41b5.jpg

Boom!

photo P1040017_zps1ecfb2e1.jpg

photo P1040018_zps9895f4d3.jpg

The cost of the fan assembly is about $150-180. Better to fix it than replace it for that cost, I think.

---

Something to note about the GPR Steering Damper. You can't remove the gas tank unless you remove the 2 bolts from top gas tank mount. Wondering about this, and found out today. Its easier to remove the tank with the Scotts Damper setup, but really, you won't need to remove the tank very often. Something to consider though.

simonpig screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 10:49 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #113
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Buttoned up the fan, installed the seat and took a ride to get a feel for the new seat… feels good. I like it.

photo P1040022_zpse2e2852c.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 10:49 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #114
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Hey Simon was wondering if your concerned about the auto cam chain tensioner on your new wr I saw your last one had some problems? Did you put a manual tensioner on this bike?
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #115
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
One more question do you participate in the pine grove dual sport run think its Oct 13 this year?
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #116
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I'm not concern at all really. If it goes, then I'll replace it with the manual one or maybe the new OEM ones. I do like the OEM auto tensioner though because it is lower profile than the manual one. There aren't big documented problems with that unit with the WRR. Also, Yamaha has update the part/part number so I assume they've further improved upon the design.

The problems I had with the cam chain tensioner on the previous bike probably had to do with the oil passages being clogged somehow and not flowing (enough) oil through it—maybe due in part to me being a little lazy in changing the oil. There were a couple of instances where I let it go beyond 3K and into the 4K range. These days, I change it every 2-2.5K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Hey Simon was wondering if your concerned about the auto cam chain tensioner on your new wr I saw your last one had some problems? Did you put a manual tensioner on this bike?

simonpig screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 08:09 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #117
simonpig OP
packin' heat

That sound's fun, but probably not. I'm getting married a couple of weeks later and my fiancé is concerned I might break a leg or something and walk the aisle with a cast.

I love riding in PA though and will keep it mind for the future. Is it a turkey run type ride or more open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
One more question do you participate in the pine grove dual sport run think its Oct 13 this year?

simonpig screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 12:34 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #118
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Labor Day weekend is horse thief holiday

This is off topic. Excuse me, but wanted to share since it is the WRR's kindred.

Shitty day for my lady, turns out that over the Labor Day Weekend, either Sunday or Monday, some jerkoff tried to make off with her sweet XT225.

Being that she doesn't really know the bike as I'm the mechanic on it, she got on and started to ride but thought it was odd that she had no right lock steering. She though maybe someone knock her bike over trying to parallel park.

It's a dirtbike so a tipover shouldn't do much to it at all.

Well I went over to investigate and as I had suspected, the douches broke the steering lock tab, but wasn't able to gain full right lock steering due to the bent steel tab.

The funny thing is that they put the motorcycle cover back on, therefore she didn't realize anything was wrong.

From the looks of it, these guys were amateurs as the area she parks it is very out of the way and a safe neighborhood.

NYC, one shitty motorcycle city. That's why I don't bother commuting on motorcycle anymore, pressure from both sides. Give me woods, trails, mountains and a dirtbike to ride them with.

Here's the damage:

photo photo_zps70a81f89.jpg

WRR (the 1st) was stolen 1 year ago during Labor Day Weekend. Coincidence? I think not.

simonpig screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 11:27 PM
Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #119
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
That sound's fun, but probably not. I'm getting married a couple of weeks later and my fiancé is concerned I might break a leg or something and walk the aisle with a cast.

I love riding in PA though and will keep it mind for the future. Is it a turkey run type ride or more open?
Two weeks before a friends wedding( I was friends with guy and girl..met both in college at same time..introduced them), I had broken my leg at a track day down at VIR. I was supposed to be their best man. I felt horrible, but it was an accident.

Come to my wedding a year later..now wife would not let me out on bike for three months prior. ( good thing it was winter in NJ anyway)
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #120
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Sorry to hear your passing the torch on best man duties. Sometimes sh*t happens. You can't stop living, thats what i say sometimes, but I check up occasionally to make sure it's not all about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Two weeks before a friends wedding( I was friends with guy and girl..met both in college at same time..introduced them), I had broken my leg at a track day down at VIR. I was supposed to be their best man. I felt horrible, but it was an accident.

Come to my wedding a year later..now wife would not let me out on bike for three months prior. ( good thing it was winter in NJ anyway)