User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
How much oil?

On a long tour and the oil light on my 2009 R1200GSA just came on. Checked the little round window on the engine and the oil level is just below the dot in the center.

When adding more oil, how much should I add? In other words, how high should the oil level be in the little window? THANKS!

EDIT: Just checked again and it's way below the dot. Guess I fill up to the dot?

Guy Jinbaiquerre screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 04:11 PM
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,253
Seems like there is enough oil if it is half way up the sight window. Run the engine to normal operating temp then shut it off and park it on the side stand for about 5 minutes. Than place it on the center stand, on level ground for another 5 minutes and check oil. I usually monitor oil at gas stops. FIll the bike on the side stand. Then I put it on the center stand and go in to pay. I have a look before driving off! If you see at least 1/4 of the sight window you should be ok for that tank of fuel.

You might also want to check your sight glass on the side stand first. If the window is full you have enough oil to do the above.

At the very bottom of the sight glass I add a little less than half a litter. Do not over fill.

I will let more knowledgeble inmates discuss the warning light, it might be oil pressure...

Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
If you can see oil in the site glass you have enough.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
65SlashTwo
Da Pigu

Oddometer: 100
Sticky: LOOK HERE FOR FORUM CONTENTS GSpot FAQ is a very informative sticky atop the list.

Here's a link on oil questions:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=5

and look down the page at this entry:
5.16 How much oil is there in the engine
65SlashTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
If you can see oil in the site glass you have enough.

Jim
+1, and I learned not to argue with Jim on this one! ;)
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Thanks everbody. Sorry for not checking the FAQ.
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I see everybody saying to NOT overfill the bike. I am not trying to hijack just wondering, I put a gallon of oil in mine at oil and filter change and it completely covers site glass when on center stand. Dealer did 600 service and I checked oil later after service and site glass was completely covered. I am curious if covering site glass is over filling. I rode 3000 miles with a few wide open for miles runs and used a third of a quart in that 3K. I was under the impression that if it was too full it would consume or blow it into air box. Bike ran great for 3000 miles and I ran the P out of it more than a few times. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
I see everybody saying to NOT overfill the bike. I am not trying to hijack just wondering, I put a gallon of oil in mine at oil and filter change and it completely covers site glass when on center stand. Dealer did 600 service and I checked oil later after service and site glass was completely covered. I am curious if covering site glass is over filling. I rode 3000 miles with a few wide open for miles runs and used a third of a quart in that 3K. I was under the impression that if it was too full it would consume or blow it into air box. Bike ran great for 3000 miles and I ran the P out of it more than a few times. D.
Keep in mind that you empty your bike at oil change. Adding four quarts is slightly less than the 4 liters it holds. When you add that 4 quarts you are not overfilling the bike. Once you run your bike some oil will be trapped in the oil cooler and your sight glass will show about half way.

Over filling is the number one reason for oil useage IMHO, though some bikes definitely use more than others no matter what!

Jim
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Makes perfect sense Jim, thank you! I am learning things as I go. Gonna meet Moto Hank for a tire and a few tidbits on servicing. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Oil Level???????????

Am I the only one one here thinking WTF????????????? Dude said his oil light came on and also said there is/was oil in the sight glass. The oil could be totally lower than the sight glass and there still be enough oil to safely run the bike. The sight glass represents about a 1/4 quart. Or am I totally mistaken?
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
Am I the only one one here thinking WTF????????????? Dude said his oil light came on and also said there is/was oil in the sight glass. The oil could be totally lower than the sight glass and there still be enough oil to safely run the bike. The sight glass represents about a 1/4 quart. Or am I totally mistaken?
You are close enough.

The oil light on these bikes isn't particularly reliable, especially when the bike is more than average hot.

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
seniorasi
Banned

oil light

So an eighth of a quart low is where the light comes on? I've always thought the oil light is pressure activated and not a function of oil level, at least in aircraft, cars and motorcycles I've worked on.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
So an eighth of a quart low is where the light comes on? I've always thought the oil light is pressure activated and not a function of oil level, at least in aircraft, cars and motorcycles I've worked on.
Not exactly, the oil light sensor is a float, it isn't that accurate as it moves around. Some bikes are more accurate than others.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...8&rnd=04302013

#16.

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
seniorasi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not exactly, the oil light sensor is a float, it isn't that accurate as it moves around. Some bikes are more accurate than others.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...8&rnd=04302013

#16.

Jim
It is definitely a capacitance type level indicator. Once again you've proved yourself worthy of Guru status on the forum.