User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
'89 BMW R100 GS/ Steering bearing replacement / upgrade

Anyone replaced the steering bearings? I did a parts search and found this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R100GS-R...item257bb6440d
Anyone use these or know of a better set to build with?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Trials/Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Found this- would this style be better?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Balls-St...p2047675.l2557
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
I wouldn't use them for steering head bearings. I didn't like the finish on them and suspect they won't last as long as they should.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
All Balls bearing....made in China, if you want good bearings , Koyo, SKF, Timken, FAG......get the bearing number and either go to a local bearing supply house or maybe try Houston Bearings. I think the BMW fiche list the bearing size.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
I wouldn't use them for steering head bearings. I didn't like the finish on them and suspect they won't last as long as they should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
All Balls bearing....made in China, if you want good bearings , Koyo, SKF, Timken, FAG......get the bearing number and either go to a local bearing supply house or maybe try Houston Bearings. I think the BMW fiche list the bearing size.
Thanks! Thats good info. We have a large bearing supply here and they probably have them.
What style should I use- the top or bottom style?
Will I need to get any nee seals when I tear int this? Thats why I was looking for a kit.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
The bearings you see on eBay are same ones sold through most of the larger motorcycle parts suppliers and they work just fine. Save some money and buy them.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,720
The Stock steering head bearings are like the wheel bearings- pretty robust, eh?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,783
You can get good quality bearings from a BMW dealer for cheaper than that.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,939
The bearing is a 28 x 52 x 16 Tapered roller bearing. The original part number for these was 07 11 9 985 070. This part number is some what revealing. It starts with the 07 that indicates it is not a special BMW part but is something that BMW buys on the open market and resells to you. Part numbers that start with 07 are mainly nuts, bolts and washers and can often be found cheaper elsewhere.

According to Max BMW the original number is now superseded by 07 11 7 663 941. Notice it too seems to be a generic part.

These cost $27.95 each from Max. The Ebay bearings are almost half that price. I have the All Balls bearings in my bike for several years now. The dealer sells the bearings each so you need two. The Ebay seller of the All Balls bearings is a kit and one kit is both bearings. So cheaper.

BTW the sellers are listing their bearings for 1987 and up but the same bearings are used in all Airheads from 1970 on.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Trials/Rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The bearing is a 28 x 52 x 16 Tapered roller bearing. The original part number for these was 07 11 9 985 070. This part number is some what revealing. It starts with the 07 that indicates it is not a special BMW part but is something that BMW buys on the open market and resells to you. Part numbers that start with 07 are mainly nuts, bolts and washers and can often be found cheaper elsewhere.

According to Max BMW the original number is now superseded by 07 11 7 663 941. Notice it too seems to be a generic part.

These cost $27.95 each from Max. The Ebay bearings are almost half that price. I have the All Balls bearings in my bike for several years now. The dealer sells the bearings each so you need two. The Ebay seller of the All Balls bearings is a kit and one kit is both bearings. So cheaper.

BTW the sellers are listing their bearings for 1987 and up but the same bearings are used in all Airheads from 1970 on.

Thanks! I was wondering what I was going to find inside this, and was wondering if it was actualy ball bearings as mentioned above (was wondering as most are listing this as an upgrade).
I'm almost ready to pull the assembly off.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Do you have the internal puller?

I'm informed there are other ways to remove the inner races, such as welding a bead on them with a MIG or TIG welder, but you can't just drive the races out like you can on a Japanese bike. The above tools make it a lot less traumatic.
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
johnalex
Rider of rides.

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthg View Post
Do you have the internal puller?

I'm informed there are other ways to remove the inner races, such as welding a bead on them with a MIG or TIG welder, but you can't just drive the races out like you can on a Japanese bike. The above tools make it a lot less traumatic.

Can you share a good source for these tools?

TIA,
98 VFR - 133,000 miles
89 BMW R100GS - in Mexico
johnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,939
This is the kit made and sold by Cycle Works. If you do not have the welder or expertise to do this job other wise then get the tool.

http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?...products_id=64

It's not really cheap at $85 but maybe your local Airheads might already have it. It does pay for it self at least by the second time you use it so you could own it if you keep this bike for ten years or own two bikes or something.

The Kukko Pullers shown earlier cost more.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnalex View Post
Can you share a good source for these tools?

TIA,

Years ago, I ordered them through my BMW dealer.

Samstag Sales lists them on their web site:

http://www.samstagsales.com/

The Kukko puller is definitely more expensive, but it works, positively, every time, without drama. It can also be used to pull wheel bearings on certain models. There are also non-BMW uses.

This place also show them:

http://www.toolwarehaus.com/

It's Kukko, Counterstay 22/2 and internal extractor 21-5 (I think--they come in different sizes depending on what bearing size you're pulling).
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

Oops! I thought the price was a piece.

At any rate, I would not put a Chinese made bearing in my bike or my customers' bikes. So far in my experience, they have all been beyond junk. Many of them right out of the box!
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote