User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Cartagena/Colombia advice

Hi guys. I'll be arriving in Cartagena on May 14th with some riding and camping gear and no contacts. I have spent a lot of time riding in North and Central America, and this is kind of like my " Part 3" conclusion to ride from Alaska to TDF. My plan is to find a cheap place to stay until I can sort out buying a small bike and head south. I don't have a time limit, but it would be nice to get some wheels as soon as possible. I would be looking to keep the purchase at around the $1500 range which I am not sure is realistic, but I have some wiggle room, and also a dual-sport for trade in the US which is also a possibility.

I am basically just trying to hear your collected wisdom on Colombia, i.e. what I should see, what I HAVE to see, roads to ride, etc. I want to spend 3 weeks to a month in Colombia, maybe studying Spanish in Medellin. My Spanish is pretty good, actually. I'll head south through Ecuador and Peru where I'll stop for a bit in Cuzco to take care of some business and then probably head south to TDF from there.

So yeah, any advice, wisdom, tidbits, money saving tips, etc. would be appreciated. And if any of you are down there I would love to meet up along the way. Thanks!
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Hola Brecchi,

I'm from Cartagena, but i live in Bogotá. In Colombia the best way to buy a bike is through www.tumoto.com.co but bear in mind bike prices here are roughly twice of what you'd pay in the US. In Cartagena you won't find many great bike options, but in Medellín and Bogotá you'll find plenty. Let me know if there's anything specific you need, I'll be glad to help.

salvadorfrieri screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 03:06 AM
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 769
lombia

Mike at Motolombia might have another travellers bike for sale!
Al
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Cool, thanks guys. I have seen bikes in my price range pop up from time to time on HUBB so I have been keeping my eyes open there as well. And also on the Motolombia website, although there is nothing there at the moment that fits what Im looking for.
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote