User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Stinky Boots...?

My riding boots (Sidi Adventure Rain) wreak....I don't normally suffer from stink foot but the boots are getting ripe...

What do you use to control the odor?

I've been using Lysol but now they just smell like a garbage can someone sprays Lysol on.....
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Dryer sheets, the smell good kind.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,084
Put boots in a garbage bad, seal and put in freezer for hour. It kills the bacteria and the stink
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I've never found anything that really worked. Once they stink, well, they continue to stink.

I'll spray lysol in there, in the hopes of killing something. Plus the fumes of lysol overwhelms the other stench, at least for a day or two. Then it becomes an interesting, if pungent, blend.

I've also got something for shoes, like Renewzit or such. It helps. Again, only for a day or two.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
I've had decent luck with Rank Away (really!)

http://www.mcnett.com/Rank-Away-Odor...wear-P412.aspx

not 100% lick, but decent, mebbe 60% of the time, the footgear is rendered far less toxic.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Dryer sheets

+1

Best if you put them in from the beginning. Try using the standard foot deodorizers sold in drug stores (in the foot care section) then leave the dryer sheets in for a few days. We always store ours with those sheets in place.

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
My feet sweat and lead to stink. I have boot warmers/dryers I bought for my ski boots (they're hard as dickens to get on when they're cold) to dry out my motorcycle boots after each ride in the summer.

Like this:

zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Juggernaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Why not just use a pair of good ol' fashioned Odor Eaters. Charcoal cleansing is the most effective method.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
My riding boots (Sidi Adventure Rain) wreak....I don't normally suffer from stink foot but the boots are getting ripe...

What do you use to control the odor?

I've been using Lysol but now they just smell like a garbage can someone sprays Lysol on.....
I cleaned mine out with helmet cleaner after wearing them everyday for a week in the summer. They needed three treatments to get rid of the stink.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Well, part of the problem is preventing what caused the stench in the first place. If you're already changing socks once a day, you may need to do it twice a day.

I would pull the insoles out and blast it with lysol again, let it dry, then hit it with automotive febreze. I would also grab a boot dryer and start putting them on it. If water is getting in the top somehow, I would try to prevent that. You may also want to check out an anti-fungal for your foot and start using it, maybe also put some in your boots.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
16VGTIDave
blame Reaver...

Oddometer: 472
My feet sweat. All the time, even when cold. I've found that wool socks help with wicking the sweat away, and keeping the odour down. Changing socks part way through the day also helps. Spraying my feet with an aerosol anti-perspirant first thing in the morning helps reduce the sweating and makes my feet smell nice for a couple hours.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I have noticed on my boots the sidi's with the knock off goretex tend to get stinky and the ones with real goretex don't. bete.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
You gotta kill the little bastard bacteria and fungi that are shitting their stankfunk all over the inside of your boots.

Get the unscented version of Lysol spray. Even better, get the generic store brand version. What you're after is the alcohol that is the main active ingredient (there's allegedly a vanishingly small amount of antifungal in there too). Alcohol kills fungi and bacteria, but you have to use lots. Again, get the unscented version -- the scented stuff just makes things worse by adding shitty perfume to toefunk.

Now douse the innards of those dank boots with the spray. Not just a dainty spritz here and there. Hose 'em down. Use about half a can. Get those nooks and crannies sopping, soaking wet. Squish it around a little.

Hear all the tiny screams?

After an hour or so of grim microbe armageddon, put the boots on a boot dryer, or prop 'em open in front of a fan on low for a day or two.

Enjoy.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Get a boot dryer. They're AMAZING! I have this PEET dryer I got from Amazon. It's way better than any lysol or foot powder/spray if you use it nightly. I commute on my bike and wear my boots (which also happen to be Sidi Adventures) every day. My boot dryer is right by the door. As soon as I take off my boots I put them on the dryer and set it for four hours (max. time) and forget about it. I also use foot spray about once a week or so, but I honestly don't think that's really doing much; it's all the dryer.

My kids have terribly smelly soccer cleats that used to stink up the house. Since getting this boot dryer, the smell is mostly gone. It's not a miracle fix-all, as there is still some smell in my boots and shoes, but it's a night and day difference over foot sprays and lysol and the like.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 860
Wash them every once in a while with soap and water....and I use cedar wooden shoe inserts every time I take them off at work or at home...dries them and neutralizes the smell. This process works fine for me...you can get the wooden inserts at men's suit stores that also sell dress shoes.

Aerostitch also sells cedar chip-filled sock thingies that are made to be put in your boots...work similar to the above.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote