ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Friction275 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Looking for camp site reccomendations for Manistee National forest

Im planning a trip around Lake Michigan in June 13 and would like to find a nice place for a 1 night stop in the Manistee National Forest or on the Lake in that area.

There is no shortage of campsite in that area so I'm looking for any reccomendations anyone may have for bike friendly tent or cabin camping locations.

I prefer a semi private tent site but not because the camp sucks and is not beng used by anyone else.

Thanks.
Friction275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,160
The Platte River campground is considered one of better campgrounds in Mich. It has large clean sites, clean bath house and is a short walk to one the best beaches on the great lakes. Its along M22 which is the best road ride in lower Mich. IMO Don't start with the tunnel of trees shit. It's short, scenic and crowded.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Friction275 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Goat,

I'm unfamiliar with the tunnel of trees, is that a road through the park? We were planning on tracing the M22 for as much as possible on the way up so that site may work well for us.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friction275 View Post
Thanks Goat,

I'm unfamiliar with the tunnel of trees, is that a road through the park? We were planning on tracing the M22 for as much as possible on the way up so that site may work well for us.
I was a little harsh. The so called tunnel of trees, or M119, is a beautiful road that runs north out of Harbor Springs. It's curvy. It's scenic. It's a great ride but can be busy. M22 is three times longer, not crowded nor as curvy but just as pretty. The beaches, food and camping is way better. If your going around the lake both are on the must see list.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,172
If you grab a remote campsite, be sure to check on (and heed) local burning restrictions. There were some huge fires when I went through there last summer (We ended up having to evacuate.), and it will probably be just as dry this year.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehead View Post
If you grab a remote campsite, be sure to check on (and heed) local burning restrictions. There were some huge fires when I went through there last summer (We ended up having to evacuate.), and it will probably be just as dry this year.
Upper and Lower have had a ton of snow/rain in the last month. Its so wet you would be lucky to get a fire started.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,522
If you are looking for solitude, you can primitive camp just about anywhere in the national forest (with just a couple of restrictions) without any permits.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hmnf...18536&actid=34
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,172
A lot can change in the next month and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Upper and Lower have had a ton of snow/rain in the last month. Its so wet you would be lucky to get a fire started.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
hh76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
If you are looking for solitude, you can primitive camp just about anywhere in the national forest (with just a couple of restrictions) without any permits.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hmnf...18536&actid=34
This is what I've always done. I'm not a huge fan of camping within shouting distance of others, so I just find an old logging road and keep my eyes open for a nice place to park. The rougher the road, the less likely someone will be driving it after dark.

You'd be amazed at just how peacefull it is when the sun starts to go down, and there isn't another human within a mile or two.
hh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Friction275 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats sounds like it might be the way to go. Most of the nice campsite are already booked solid. I found one site available at Ludington State park but that was petty much the last site available that could be reserved and since I wont be showing up until late afternoon my chances of a FCFS site are slim.

I'm also looking for suggestions for the next leg of the trip which will be counter clockwise through the UP for 2-3 days. I'm posting that in a separate thread but I'll take any suggestions you may have here or there.

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friction275 View Post
Thats sounds like it might be the way to go. Most of the nice campsite are already booked solid. I found one site available at Ludington State park but that was petty much the last site available that could be reserved and since I wont be showing up until late afternoon my chances of a FCFS site are slim.

I'm also looking for suggestions for the next leg of the trip which will be counter clockwise through the UP for 2-3 days. I'm posting that in a separate thread but I'll take any suggestions you may have here or there.

Thanks again.
Ludington State Park is always booked and its not really that nice, dusty and crowded. I don't remember the names of the parks right off the top of my head but there is a nice county park just south of Ludington on S Lakeshore Drive. On the way to the state park just outside Ludington is another park. Its either a county or city park. Its right where N. Lakeshore crosses over the Lincoln Lake channel. Neither of these parks should be busy and both have showers. North of Ludington about ten miles along the beach is a national park that I hear is nice. It also should have spots midweek. Orchard Beach north of Manistee has a beautiful state park right on the bluffs over Lk Mich. M-110 is a beautiful road and hooks up with M-22 by Onekama.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
psycho klr
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Oddometer: 2,432
If you have a smart phone you may want to check out some camping apps. For Iphones I have used the Camp where app which works very well. I now have an android phone and am going to try the Camp finder app, it gets very good reviews.

Both apps should show just about every public and private campground in whatever area you ask it to. Neither will show the primitive sites obviously. I like those too.
psycho klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
If you want the Ludington area this http://www.michigan.org/property/but...le-campground/ is a better park than Ludington state park, but it is always crowded and the stairs down the bluff to Lake Michigan are a steep hike.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
If you want the Ludington area this http://www.michigan.org/property/but...le-campground/ is a better park than Ludington state park, but it is always crowded and the stairs down the bluff to Lake Michigan are a steep hike.
Yea, thats the one I was thinking of. Buttersfield Park is the one south of the channel. I've only been there twice and both times it had alot of empty sites. I would think you could get a site mid week? If its full there is another decent park a couple of miles south by the pump storage..
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #15
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post

What !??!???

http://www.michigandnr.com/burnpermits/

The whole northern is tinderbox dry. I was at my place in Grayling last weekend Utah dessert dry... It won't be good until the new vegetation starts growing.....
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote