User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
No Roads! OP
Don't want a pickle!

Oddometer: 54
Icefields parkway and Agate bay road info

I was hoping to get some info on the road that branches off highway 5 in BC south of Barriere and connects with the Shuswaps at the south tip of Adams lake...I think it is call Agate bay rd and then changes to several others but it looks like the same all the way through.

Is this road paved or gravel with logging trucks ripping up and down it? I was hoping to shave a bit of time off a trip to the Shuswaps via Jasper without having to go through Kamloops.

Also, can anyone tell me what road conditions to expect on the Icefields parkway (hwy 93) in early June?
No Roads! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Roads!
I was hoping to get some info on the road that branches off highway 5 in BC south of Barriere and connects with the Shuswaps at the south tip of Adams lake...I think it is call Agate bay rd and then changes to several others but it looks like the same all the way through.

Is this road paved or gravel with logging trucks ripping up and down it? I was hoping to shave a bit of time off a trip to the Shuswaps via Jasper without having to go through Kamloops.

It is mostly paved but there is a small amount of gravel between Skwaam Bay and Bush Creek Provincial Park. Been through several times and never seen much traffic. This picture was taken about half way along the gravel section. The road has always been in great shape during my trips over it including in the rain. It is a nice way to by-pass Kamloops.

MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Icefields in early June?

That's easy. Sunny and warm, possibility of rain, snow or cloud.

Generally, it's really nice. That time of year you're ahead of the motorhome migration.
Just watch your speed, the mounties want you to enjoy the scenery.

Just noticed your location. You would expect snow wouldn't you?
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
No Roads! OP
Don't want a pickle!

Thanks for the info Manxman!

@GP640

I am familiar with hwy 93 but I've only traveled it in late July and August. This is also my first year on a bike ( complete noob ) and just wanted to make sure I wasn't biting off more than I can chew. I wasn't sure if snow was the norm for that time frame.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,807
We've been through the Sunwapta Pass and the Icefields in May like it was a summer day and we've had snow in July. One of the most pleasant rides from Jasper to Banff I've had was in October one year with nearly everything closed along the way. It's hit and miss and things could be the complete opposite 25 miles later. Basically watch the forecasts and AMA road reports.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
re: Agate Bay Rd - Sinmax Creek Rd - Holding Rd - Squilax/Anglemont Rd (apparently the route has a bit of an identity complex)

You shouldn't see much truck traffic along that route at all - the sawmill in Barriere burned to the ground a few years back when a forest fire ripped its way through the Thompson Valley.

I grew up in Clearwater - just north of Barriere - so I've driven this route a couple times and the worst you might have to watch for is some loose gravel on the outsides of the big sweepers.

I'll just echo everyone's else sentiment regarding the weather in the parkway - stay informed on current weather, as it can pull a complete 180 from sunshine to snowstorm in a heartbeat.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Destructo the Mad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
That road has become part of my default route when riding to/from the Okanagan or Kootenays. It is paved from Hwy 5 to Agate bay, and quite fun & scenic, then gravel for 2/3 of the road from Agate Bay to the junction with Hwy 1 near Chase, BC. The last time I rode it, about a month ago, all of the gravel had been compacted down so much it was almost like riding on (really crappy) asphalt. I have ridden it without anxiety or incident on a Road King.
I usually continue south from there on the Turtle Valley Rd/Chase-Falkland Rd, another enjoyable backroad that is about 70% paved, that takes you into Vernon. My experience with both of those roads has been that there has been minimal traffic.
Destructo the Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
No Roads! OP
Don't want a pickle!

Thanks for all the excellent info guys!

I heard there was a road that roughly connected Blue River to somewhere around Anglemont, can anyone confirm this? It is unlikely that I will take it as I'm fairly green on gravel but it would be interesting to know for the future.

No Roads! screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 07:29 AM
Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
RealtorGordonB
Plated Dirt Bike :)

Oddometer: 183
I drove it yesterday in SUV, fair to good pavement from Barriere 1/4 way then some new pavement until Agate Bay lakehead, turns to packed gravel with great vistas/ steep drop offs and I figured this would be a great DS ride even for the biggest bikes- there was some grading and roller packing happening just before pavement restarts near the lumber mill on Chase side of the lake.
2006 KLR 650 Sold
- Not missed :)

RealtorGordonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Tigerland
new to ADV

Oddometer: 7
Banff to Jasper

Banff to Jasper is a great ride. Ice fields can get cold if raining. I had it once down to +5 in Aug. heated vest and grips no worries. Stunning ride and Jasper is a cool town.

When heading out stop in lake Louise to pick up coffee and lunch at the bakery. It is located in the corner of the strip mall across the street from fuel station. Best baked good ever. I grab lunch there, and take it with me for later stop on the way to Jasper.
Also watch speed. You are in a national park so 90 km's is posted. They are hot around the ice fields. After all too nice of a ride to go speeding through. Also watch for mountain goats that like to stand in the middle of the road.

Safe riding. Enjoy.
Tigerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
If you do ride Banff to Jasper section I would suggest getting off the Icefields/trans Canada and taking the Bow valley Parkway from Banff to Lake Louise or which ever direction your headed.

Its been a LOT of years since I lived in Banff but I used to love this little section of road for running up and down to get my ya yas out.

http://goo.gl/maps/U99C2

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
You need a park pass.

Amazing road (for views).
Skied and climbed a lot of stuff up that way. Miss it.

Mornings even in summer can be cool.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
If you do ride Banff to Jasper section I would suggest getting off the Icefields/trans Canada and taking the Bow valley Parkway from Banff to Lake Louise or which ever direction your headed.

Its been a LOT of years since I lived in Banff but I used to love this little section of road for running up and down to get my ya yas out.

http://goo.gl/maps/U99C2

Cheers, Todd
I second that when I lived in Lake L. And Banff it was the funniest way.

Can't wait to back out there on the bike
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
When heading out stop in lake Louise to pick up coffee and lunch at the bakery. It is located in the corner of the strip mall across the street from fuel station. Best baked good ever. I grab lunch there, and take it with me for later stop on the way to Jasper.
Laggan's. Use to head there every morning before heading into work in Banff (Henry's Electric) best Coffe and breakfast sandwich ever.
Man why did I leave!!!!
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
That bakery was good then it had five plus years of suckage. Haven't been there in five years.
Glad to hear it is good again.

Hostel in Louise is cheap to stay, clean, and has very good food.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote