ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
Chuckracer OP
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,569
Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Tell me straight: Can a Carburetor guy find happiness with a fuel injected bike?

What would I need to purchase and learnto use to be able to tweak the injection, the throttle response, download maps and read/clear error codes?
I do my own work out of necessity: There isn't a KTM dealer within 100 miles of me so I need to be able to fix it.

I haven't been following the Injected bike threads cause I've been stuck in my carburetor world...but the times, they are a-changing.
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
My 990 is my first FI bike and I can't complain, I think you'd find happiness with a FI bike.

I'm no expert, but I do know once you get it right it's set-it-and-forget-it.

You'll need a PC laptop to start, get yourself TuneECU and a cable.

This is a great video by Rottweiler that will get you up and running with loading maps.
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,503
Plenty of on-line education and products to help you if needed Chuck.

You'll probably find more happiness because it's more complicated to learn so more satisfying for the DIYer.

Examples

http://www.tuneecu.com/

http://www.superstreetbike.com/fuel-...uel-management

wpbarlow screwed with this post 03-22-2015 at 06:52 AM
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Forgot to mention that I tried learning all about TuneECU, spent many hours reading the TuneECU master thread (the entire thing), tried different maps, test ride, load map, test ride, in the end I bought a Power Commander 5 with Auto-Tune.

I felt like in the end TuneECU really only allowed me swap maps that other folks made, set TPS and fan temp, at least that is all I felt comfortable doing. Again I'm no expert.

Once you have the PC5 just about any tuner with a Dyno will be able to tune your bike, the Auto-Tune is a bolt on system that tries to tun to optimal air fuel ratio that you can setup.
I have a thread on my install here
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceSquatch View Post
Forgot to mention that I tried learning all about TuneECU, spent many hours reading the TuneECU master thread (the entire thing), tried different maps, test ride, load map, test ride, in the end I bought a Power Commander 5 with Auto-Tune.

I felt like in the end TuneECU really only allowed me swap maps that other folks made, set TPS and fan temp, at least that is all I felt comfortable doing. Again I'm no expert.

Once you have the PC5 just about any tuner with a Dyno will be able to tune your bike, the Auto-Tune is a bolt on system that tries to tun to optimal air fuel ratio that you can setup.
I have a thread on my install here
I had both the PC5 with the auto tune module and tune ECU on two different 690s. The PC5 with auto tune was sure easy and took almost no tuning time. TuneECU is way cheaper but requires fiddling. One thing really liked on TuneECU is the ability on the 690 to adjust throttle response to smooth out the stalling and jerkiness separate from the fuelling. PC might have this but I didn't dig into it as much since the PC was on an SMC where the more touchy throttle was less of an issue than single track on the E model. The only LC8s I've had were carbed so I can't comment directly on 990 vs 950. I would PM Head2Wind or Dan950SER since H2W is familiar with both delivery systems or Dan950SER since he did the conversion on his SE he can comment on his experience between the two.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
dirtyac
Ktooner

Oddometer: 36
When I first got my 990 a few years back the snatchy throttle drove me nuts. I tried a bunch of stuff short of using TuneECU. O2 eliminators, football shaped butterflies, different throttle cams. The only change I stuck with was the 200 throttle cam. But, after spending a fair amount of time riding the bike I guess I got used to it. It doesn't bother me at all anymore. My 690, the throttle response was much smoother right from the start (evolution maybe)
They all seemed to get better as the years progressed. I spent 20 years working at a KTM dealer....So I had the chance to ride all the bikes every year at the dealer mtg. Anyway, spend some time riding it (I know you will) you'll like it!