Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
A couple points.... the AMPS and Ram are $62 from GPS City. It comes with a short Ram arm but I'm sure GPS City can swap for a longer arm if you want it higher.

The AMPS mount has a security screw to lock it in place. I've never used it,,, whenI need to take the gps with me,,, press the button and it's out in less than a second. Pops back in in the same amount of time.
Yeah I have the bits already at the moment it is on my bars I will just shift it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #32
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,743
If you like the position near the middle, it's very simple and clean to use the RAM balls that go on the bar clamp bolts.

No ugly u-bolt clampy things.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #33
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,142
Just thought I'd throw this in here as I know some guys have the Scotts setup on there bikes so the method I posted for mounting on the Adventure won't work. I needed to mount the Montana on my SE a couple months back and came up with the following. I had the AMPS cradle already and bought a Z Teknic mount. The 2 bolt directly together. One concern I had was vibration with the rigid mount. I took a piece of closed cell foam from and old camping pad installed it between the cradle and mount tightening the mounting bolts just enough so there was no slop. The bolts that come with the AMPs cradle are plenty long enough.

It's been fine with quite a bit of off road vibrations.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
CMurgel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Ram mount like Boatman did

I was searching for a solution to mount my Garmin montana on my 990 A and I was lucky enough to order the TT mount from KTMTWINS and didn't receive the product on time..

Because I have only a short period for delivery (I leave in Brazil and travel sporadically to the USA) and they didn't delivery on time I had to come up with a different solution.

I read what Boatman did and I loved so I decided that I would not use the TT GPS mount and would give a try at Boatman's method. It was worth and very inexpensive! Very easy and simple, I love it.

Installed the base at the triple clamp (minor adjustment due to smaller distance for the screws)

Bought the Garmin base for the montana and a ram system (here I tried the medium arm but I will buy the short one like Boatman did (note that I also have an USB tap, learned my lesson not to attach it to AC1 because it will discharge your battery)

THe final result is great!

Thanks Boatman for showing us how to mount the GPS so inexpensively and in such a nice position!
CMurgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #35
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,788
I believe RAM mounts allow for some vibration dampening.

So I prefer the RAM clamps to connect the 2 RAM balls.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote