User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Bullskin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Frozen instrument cluster, even without key in

While riding my 2010 990 ADV, I stopped along the road for a break. When I got back on and turned the key there was no usual tach sweep, no usual lights (neutral, ABS, oil pressure), no temp gauge. Just the wheel size display stayed on and the FI light stayed on solid, no blinks. I turned the key off and took it out. The FI light and wheel size display stayed on with no key even in the bike. I put it back in and turned the key, no change. I hit the starter, bike fired up normally and i rode it around the parking lot. Bike ran normally, but still just FI light and wheel size. The tach is not moving. I disconnected and reconnected the battery in the parking lot. This made the stuck display go off. I turned the key, everything worked normally, and I finished the ride. 500 miles and many restarts later, it hasn't acted up again. Any ideas? I saw in some searchs about bad ABS components causing speedos to only read zero or wiring shorts to cause only the backlight to be on, but nothing about stuck displays staying on without the key even in the bike.
Bullskin is offline   Reply With Quote