User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,795
SkiMoto 2013 (NoSki -ButMOTO!)

SkiMoto 2013 except no ski - just moto. Three of our Washington friends came ready to roost and camp out in the desert. We figured the weather is about a month ahead of schedule and it might even be warm out there. Most of us have been through this country but not all together and we had some designs on more interesting routes. 4 (or5) bikes is perfect if you’re lucky enough to team up right.
Colin, Ken, Jim & myself.

We tried something new - riding into town early for an actual breakfast, casual fueling and roll east out of town on dirt. Also, MrDualsport (#5) was incorporated into the group as we met him at the breakfast stop. He was committed to riding with us the first day then back to Bend and would ride to SLHS with LittlePossum on saturday - BURLY!

That worked out nice but I shouldn’t have eaten the ‘whole thing’.

Where we came from . . .

where we’re headed. (beyond the horizon)

Next stop, Lost Forest!

Not too cold on thursday morning, the bikes are running excellent, it’s a bit dusty but we space out.

Lost Forest transfer section - Ken on his 690

MrDualsport on his XR600 - yeah that’s right, air cooled thumper!

Ken’s auxiliary fuel system.

Looks nice and smooth here but the rocks were demanding prior and after this little oasis

We’ve made arrangements for fuel and are nearing that so we have a break coming and will easily make it to camp before the sun goes down - if everything goes right.

Colin

Tempuratures are nice, non-threatening clouds and it’s really good to put 150 miles of dirt under the tires.

MrDualsport:

Our pre-arranged fuel stop went perfectly. 5 Bikes used 18.4 gallons of Non-ethanol 92

Marty, the caretaker at Wagontire was nice enough to have the fuel ready for us. Lonely place. He was pretty chatty, filled our bikes with gas and Camelbaks with the coldest well water (700 feet deep). So frosty, I could feel it on my back through all the clothes and a padded pack.

A beautiful spring day in the desert, we head down HWY 395 for five miles and take the first dirt road. This will take us east to our camp for this 1st night. We’ve camped here before but it’s a nice spot even though there’s no water. Found the easy way off a rocky plateau that I’d been trying to locate for several years. A fire up in here had changed the looks of things but when we started down, I immediately recognized the weird formations.

This track took us to another super fun roller coaster run through the grass to our campsite.
Plenty of dead sage brush for fire and easy fire starter!

The Washington crew was extra happy to be out of the city and off the asphalt. It’s good to see these fellows unwind out in the country, we always have a good time riding, exploring and bullshitting around the campfire. Cocktail hour w/Jim.

There’s one pretty big stone we camp next to and it makes for a nice spot to enjoy the sunset.

Jim and Ken have these super trick/simple new alcohol stoves that work incredibly well.

Sagebrush fires roar then make nice coals, sometimes they flare up a bit more than expected.

Backs against the stone.

Whoa! - stayed up till the firewood was gone, slept like a mummy and started out the day with a casual breakfast, coffee and water. No big plans or destination for today except gas and water in Plush, Oregon sometime later in the day.

Nice day, kinda frosty at first light but the spring sun warms us up.

MrDualsport is gonna ride back to Bend and will meet us on saturday night with a bunch of other fellas at Summer Lake Hot Springs. Have a safe ride buddy!

We’ve ridden through here hauling ass, we’ve spent the night here at least 3 times but we’ve never taken the time to see where this road goes and what those boulders look like up close so after loading up we check out some other stuff then head over to the stones.

MrDualsport has to ride at least 150 miles today - great conditions for it!

Casual - that’s the mode for this one. Totally dry and warm packing up gear.

Hey look - free money!

Ken is packed, ready to go, saving the chair for the last bit

We rode up on top for about 5 or 6 miles, checked out some tracks then came back to see the boulders - they’re HUGE!

Then we railed south -

This group will let me get 1 minute ahead for a photo then wait at the next interesection or beyond if we know where we’re going. Sometimes it works out perfectly!

Miles of this - first tracks on what will be deep poof dust later. We broke the crust!

Found an old 2 track that faded into cow country. we followed that to a once inhabited ranch.

Count the nails/wire traps/metal chunks, etc.

Gas, water, BLT and local info on our route out of Plush. My plan was impossible due to snow and the myriad locked gates. Some local knowledge was very helpful and saved us a ton of anguish.

Got up into the hills fairly quick and found some challenging old 2 tracks - oops, sorry about the roost(afari) Ken.

This is actually a road - on the map and devil box

Looks easy but once again, we were the first through here since the snow melted.

Couldn’t see how deep it was but it’s super goey well before, through the stream and past.

Damnit Dave! Feet on the pegs! - went up a couple miles to scout before we committed and tore the place up with tracks.

Ken can relax anywhere (while he waits for scouting )

I rode about 2 miles up towards the summit on a very clear ‘road’ comprised of soccer/basketball/softball-sized stones grouted with wet clay. Nothing was as it appeared, you could hit a 24” rock and it would roll out of its’ wet clay socket or it might just wiggle a bit and squirt slippery wet clay on other rocks for extra sketchiness. I turned around as there was no place up here to camp and it wasn’t fun riding. Back across the little stream.

We’ll come back when the conditions are better - oh dang, we have to ride back through all that happiness!?!

We did some more poking around and got kinda separated. Colin sat on a road waiting while I went out to the rim for a look-see. Figured the guys were coming but in good style just stayed where they lost our trail and waited. Snapped a couple pics real quick-like and headed back to re-group before finding camp.

Wind absolutely howling - that’s hwy 395 down there along the shore

Coyote Camp is where we decided to set up. That’s 2 camps in a row that we’ve been to before but both of these were arrived at via new routes so that’s OK huh?

Tiny Jagermeister celebration:

Another great night in the bush

more . . .

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere

wachs screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 10:24 AM
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
The Professor
Minky says ride

Oddometer: 29
Yeah!!! Nice Bring it on
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
wachs OP
just passin' through

Over dinner the night before, we looked at the photos of the rim and everyone agreed to go see it in person. In the morning, we rode up to the edge to look down a couple thousand vertical feet upon the lake and hwy below. A spectacular morning.

I had a solid 3 bars on Verizon so checked in with home and sent KurtW a text.

This was the nice part of the rim track. In places it’s as bad or worse than Fandango rock-wise.

Didn’t take many photos but we arrived at the Hog’s Back road and took that the 2 miles or so to hwy 395 then went south to the next dirt section towards Paisley. Stopped here for a little break.

It’s getting cooler so with all vents closed, we high-tailed it for town to get fuel and lunch.

As predicted, the temperatures continue to drop but we’re comfortable with the gear and lunch is only a few miles away from here.

Rolled into town, had a decent lunch, warmed up and went up into the hills to see where the snow was. Kenny getting a little speedway action on the 690.

Pretty cool, easy gravel to the hang glider launch site.

Used an Arai helmet for the this trip thinking the sunglass option and face shield would be a good combo which it was but that thing is heavy and the face shield is like a magnifying glass - I got sunburnt.

The wind is nuking out there and up here too.

Poked around up there and found the snow line at Withers Lake.

Ended up on Govt. Harvey Pass Road down to the highway.

Cows in the road!

The plan was to get to Summer Lake Hot Springs, dump our gear and roost back to town for fuel as they would not be open on sunday.

Dumped most of our stuff and got busy headed back to Paisley.

Wow - the bikes ride SOOOOO much better without the camping gear load.

Jim is probably doing about 60 mph (maybe more)

Kenny rearranging some gravel with his 690

Always a fun rally to the fuel pumps (especially with the lightened machines!) When we return to camp, Dave, Kurt and his crew rolled in to set up in the usual afternoon wind.

HA! there’s my buddy SuperVW arriving on his heavily modified (improved) Dakar.

There must’ve been 25 or 30 guys from our local riding community gathering here for a loosely annual round up. Some guys trucked their bikes and camped in luxurious accommodations but most of us were in the dirt.

MrDualsport and his girl friend LittlePossum made it.

Yeah BEEF! It’s what’s for dinner!

Lot’s of BS’ing. Didn’t realize that was 640Mark on the 950 (blue gear)

Took a nice soak in the hot springs then cooked up some grub. Mark had some nice pork and potatoes in his trailer which I couldn’t turn down - thanks Mark and Graham!

Typical hot spring mayhem -

You could hear those maniacs all the way out here!

Hit the hay and froze my self on my new super expensive insulated pad that will be returned. Haven’t been cold in my kit for over 10 years.

more . . .

wachs screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 03:00 PM
Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
good stuff wachs. looks like the climbing shoes and chalk bag should've been packed.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
good stuff wachs. looks like the climbing shoes and chalk bag should've been packed.
You are so right about that - no sign of anyone on those rocks and they are very inspiring.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
hotballs
nob

Oddometer: 39
hi there, that looks like an awesome trip. where is it and what bikes were you on? How did you go for fuel? i am really starting to get a dirt bike itch that needs scratching and would like advise on what to get. I am thinking a 400 or something.
hotballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
also give us the dirt on the insulated pad that failed to provide warmth? I've camped in snow countless times on a basic thermorest 3/4" so it has to really be designed poorly.

was there a reason to not camp down by the newly found boulder area? seems the rocks would offer decent wind protection.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotballs View Post
hi there, that looks like an awesome trip. where is it and what bikes were you on? How did you go for fuel? i am really starting to get a dirt bike itch that needs scratching and would like advise on what to get. I am thinking a 400 or something.
Thanks - my group:

Jim - XR650R with 6.5 Acerbis fuel cell
Me - XR650R with 4.2 gal IMS but I packed a gallon on my back pack. Ride about 30 miles and dump it in my tank. I much prefer the way my XR rides vs. the big Acerbis but it's a trade off.
COlin - '07 KTM 525 EXC with another 6.5 gal Acerbis tank.
Kenny - KTM 690 with stock fuel tank but he'd rigged a 2.5 gal set up on a structurally modified rack. He lost it once and is going back to the drawing board on that set up
Justin - 90's era Honda XR600R with a 6 gal tank.

Range should be somewhere close to 200 miles to do some of our routes in Nevada but 150 will do for most of Oregon if you don't get lost or poke around too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
also give us the dirt on the insulated pad that failed to provide warmth? I've camped in snow countless times on a basic thermorest 3/4" so it has to really be designed poorly.

was there a reason to not camp down by the newly found boulder area? seems the rocks would offer decent wind protection.
Pad is a Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core SL. I've been real comfy on the old BA insulated pad but it had sprung a few leaks in the past 7 years so I thought I upgraded to this new technology. Every time I would roll over the warm air was mixed with cold - I had plenty of time AWAKE to know exactly why I was cold and it wasn't my down bag or tent. The old pad has been on glacial snow and ice nearly as much as moto camping and was always toasty.

Wind wasn't really an issue on the camp spot. We had just never known how cool that big boulder area was until now. It will take longer for the sun to reach the big rocks but in the summer, they'll also provide extra morning shade.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,466
What an AWESOME weekend it was!
LOTS of riding, great old friends and new ones too!

I had fun wandering home on Friday solo. Figured out how to connect some fun roads I really enjoy.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
wachs OP
just passin' through

The sun was beaming on us for packing up but as predicted, the weather is flowing in off the Cascades and spilling into our basin already. Snow was in the forecast.

Much darker to the north, our intended route home.

So we took a quick soak to stretch out.

Didn’t bother drying any of my stuff, just jammed everything in the bag and headed down to Paisley for breakfast.

The weather has officially changed, much cooler and darker plus the wind was out. Separated from Niggles and his group at south Fandango.

Hmmm, seems rockier than normal. Could it be the 15 or 20 bikes that came through here the opposite direction yesterday? No, it’s just extra rocky going south to north.

The section right behind Colin was exceptionally technical with the camping gear on the bikes and the stoney step-ups. We never notice them going down.

We always threaten to stop in one of the nasty spots for photos but once you’re into it you just want to get it done.

We arrived at the north entrance intersection to run into Niggles again? How could that be? They should’ve been miles ahead of us. Guess they missed a turn and made a large re-route.

I think he sold this bike when he got home

Here’s Stan

His bike is for sale too! ?

We have a ways to go and the ‘hard part’ is done. Big black clouds ahead and it’s obviously snowing where we’re headed. Time to haul ass.

This is a clay surface mixed with rocks and dried ruts, treacherous when wet but dry today!

Here comes Colin on his 525.

Floater

A big group of friends arrived, via one route or another at Christmas Valley where the last of the sunshine was nice.

It's gonna get colder so face protection is recommended.

These guys have to drive to Seattle tonight so we are not going slow.

It is snowing hard up ahead.

Our last stop to put on the rain gear.

No photos of the blizzard we rode through as it was freezing and we had to get back as soon as possible.

The snow was sticking to the road though and so we just traded the dust for a pelting. Was loving that Arai helmet for this. (Thanks, Kent!)

Storm cell back there by Pine Mountain.

This is the very last patch of dirt before we hit pavement to the barn.

Only 20 miles to home, another snow squall between us and there. A great trip with some excellent fellows all the way around. About 500 miles total with less than 60 of asphalt, no flats, no big crashes and we never got too lost.

Thanks for the ride!

The End

Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Sweet!

I can't wait to get out this year!
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
wazzu
Pocky

Oddometer: 25
Great photos Wachs! another good time at SLHS.
wazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Bravo, Wachs!
I wanna go there...

WoodsChick

Old 04-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #14
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
awesome RR.....you got to be very fast to get pics of the fast riders. yeah, i like your style. it seems you always capture the actions. the pic may be still, but i get the feeling it's faster than it looks.......or you just simply like riding dusty trails...hahaha.

thanks wachs.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
deadbird
Very Large Bird

Oddometer: 151
Another ride in the books. It's shaping up to be a great riding season. Ride now, it's gonna get DUSTY!
-Ezra
deadbird is offline   Reply With Quote