In
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I never saw one of those

Give us more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
So here you are. I knew you were down there, just took your time posting up.

I can see you've put a lot of creative time and effort into it, beautiful writing and disclosure, love the early morning sunrise picture, alas if was too cold and windy to crawl out of bed when we were down there.

Well I am off on a ride in the morning and will catchup when I get back, but I will say a beautiful start. BTW hiking to Darwin Falls is the longest 1/4 mile I've ever walked then it could be the boot's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTON PHIL View Post
In
Welcome

Quote:
I never saw one of those

Give us more
The advantage of going to bed early is waking up early enough to be able to watch the sun come up. More coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
So here you are. I knew you were down there, just took your time posting up.

I can see you've put a lot of creative time and effort into it, beautiful writing and disclosure, love the early morning sunrise picture, alas if was too cold and windy to crawl out of bed when we were down there.

Well I am off on a ride in the morning and will catchup when I get back, but I will say a beautiful start. BTW hiking to Darwin Falls is the longest 1/4 mile I've ever walked then it could be the boot's

Hi Sam, Enjoy your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
Hi Dale.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,695
Time to go see what else we can find.

We’re going to go find Skidoo

We looked North and South but we couldn’t spot the pipeline.

Before we got to Skidoo we found Eureka Mine and needed to explore.

Of all the prospectors and miners who toiled in the Death Valley area, only one— Pete Aguereberry— persisted.
Beginning in 1907, Pete worked his claim at the Eureka Mine for 40 years, mostly by himself. Historians estimate that he extracted about $175,000 worth of gold (then valued at $20 per ounce) during his lifetime (he died in 1945).

Bruce took the low road

And I took the high road

I don’t want to fall here

Something else to check out.

Bruce doing his best Captain Morgan impression

What are we going to find next?

We weren’t going to stop here then decided at the last minute to stop since we were in the area and we sure were glad we did. We thought the view would be of the flat valley but it was so much more. That’s some of the Death Valley Magic just as soon as you think one thing it’s something else. My photos don't come close to capturing the beauty here.

Named after Pete Aguereberry

Now where was it we were going? Oh yes, Skidoo, that’s where.

There was once a thriving community in Skidoo. It was founded in 1906. The town reached a population of 700 and became famous as the site of the only hanging to take place in Death Valley. It occurred when Hootch Simpson, a saloon owner who had fallen on hard times, tried to rob the bank, was foiled in the attempt, and later went back and killed the owner of the store in which the bank was located. During the night the townspeople hanged Hootch. According to legend, he was hanged twice. The second hanging was to accommodate news photographers who missed the first hanging. No one was ever arrested for the hanging.

All that’s left is a few rusty metal pieces and I’m not so sure they are from the townsite but brought in my the park system so there is something to see.

Then it was back to camp but somehow I passed Bruce when he was stopped checking something out. NoRa laughed when I told her I lost Bruce. It was clear she’s used to him being misplaced. She had a good time relaxing and reading in camp while we were out riding.

It was a good day.

There is more to come as Moto-Treks joins us the next day……
Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
RokLobster
Far from sanity

Oddometer: 80
Desert

I love your desert shots - reminds me of when I lived in Utah and would go camping down south. Though the colors of the desert may be different, the feeling seems to be the same, that we are just small, insignificant beings, lost among the gigantic, seemingly never-ending beauty around us. Thanks for the report!
RokLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Ole Pete dug up over 12 million in gold at todays prices? Wow!!

Enjoying the tale...

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,672
IN!

Superbug!

I'll be getting a lot of and will enjoy reading this!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #22
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokLobster View Post
I love your desert shots - reminds me of when I lived in Utah and would go camping down south. Though the colors of the desert may be different, the feeling seems to be the same, that we are just small, insignificant beings, lost among the gigantic, seemingly never-ending beauty around us. Thanks for the report!
The desert is fasinating isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ole Pete dug up over 12 million in gold at todays prices? Wow!!

Enjoying the tale...

Wow is right, that's one heck of a lot of digging.

Quote:
Hi I wonder where Airhead Bruce is? I haven't heard from him since they left Death Valley. He's probably out on some adventure since he's now a man of leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post
IN!

Superbug!

I'll be getting a lot of and will enjoy reading this!
Hi Nicky, pull up a chair and enjoy that popcorn.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #23
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 2 - Tuesday 3/26/13

Early evening the day before Moto-Treks showed up and would be joining Airhead Bruce and I in today’s ride. He had a good time at the Jimmy Lewis weekend and said he learned a few things. He also said he spent the weekend falling in the sand. Hey I already know how to do that.

The ride plan for the day was to ride to the Racetrack via Hunter Mountain.

Yep, this should be fun.

When we turned on the road above a song from my high school days popped into my mind. I liked it when I was in school and I still find the tune cheerful and the lyrics so right on.

As I hummed “signs, signs, everywhere a sign” in my helmet I also quietly giggled as I enjoyed the views that weren’t blocked by signs.

The road was a fairly easy road to ride however I did find a hill climb that I screwed up on. I was slowly climbing and picking my way happily through the few obstacles until I realized about 1 second too late I wasn’t giving the bike enough gas and killed the engine. Oops At least I didn’t fall over. I was off the bike and trying to get it turned around when Moto-Treks came back looking for me. He passed me right after the bike died. He said as he passed me he was wondering why I stopped there then realized maybe I hadn’t stopped willingly. We turned the bike around, I rode it to the bottom of the hill then back up again keeping the gas on a bit more this time.

At the top of the hill Airhead Bruce was waiting for us wonder where we were. I’m not sure what AirheadBruce and Moto-Treks are up to but they look like they are checking a map. There wasn’t any roads to have to figure out which way to go so I’m guessing it wasn’t a map.

We found a nice spot to have lunch before we headed down the other side of the mountain. Too bad I didn’t get pictures of our lunch stop.

Down the other side of the mountain I was thrilled to see the Joshua Trees were blooming.

There were sections of the road lined with those Joshua Trees, very cool.

I found some flowers

I was happily riding Hidden Valley road enjoying all that was in view when I notice I was headed right into a silt bed.

Ah crap

I started talking to myself . . . . . .

"Keep weight to the back"

"Relax"

"Keep the throttle on"

"Breathe"

"Look where you want to go"

"Relax"

Whewwww I made it though.

Oh double crap, there’s another one.

"Relax you made it through the last one fine"

"Keep the weight back"

"Breathe dang it breathe"

"Yikes, ruts!"

"Ignore the ruts"

"Keep the gas on"

"Look where you want to go"

"I said ignore the ruts!"

Big Wan, I can not lie I don’t like big ruts.

Making silt my favorite - - - NOT

Yep, I hit the ruts then hit the silt. Moto-Treks was way ahead of me he rode through the silt like it wasn’t there. Airhead Bruce was a bit behind me and only witnessed the aftermath. By the time he got there I was up and trying to get a few layers of silt off me. When I found myself on the ground I didn’t hurt so I figured I was OK but I felt a little disoriented for a few minutes. I thought it was because my shield and glasses were covered in silt and I couldn’t see. I couldn’t get my helmet and glasses off fast enough.

Airhead Bruce helped me get the Superbug back upright. He noticed new scratches on the front fender then I noticed new scratches on my helmet. Since the road was silt it took me a minute to figure out where they came from then I noticed the rocks on the side of the road. I must of hit a rock or two.

As we started again I duck walked a few steps then brought my feet back up on the pegs and was relieved it was only about 100 yards and we were out of the silt. Deep breath of relief and then we headed into another silt bed. I made it about 50’ feet before I crashed again. Grrrrrrrrrr this time there was no reason to crash other than I let myself get freaked out about the silt. I did more duck walking and got through it.

After that the riding was easy and the scenery was interesting.

We arrived at Teakettle Junction. This is a place I have wanted to visit for a while and I was ready with a Teakettle.

I left this Teakettle A nice little wind chime singing in the breeze. I don't know how long it will last but I left it anyway.

Superbug wanted to get in the picture.

After falling in the silt twice I was a bit apprehensive about hitting more bad roads. A few people stopped on their way back from the Racetrack so I asked how the road was. I was told by two different groups that it was fine, like a freeway although a little washboardy but not bad. OK fine, I want to keep going to the racetrack.

Airhead Bruce decided he didn’t want to go to the Racetrack. He was going to head for Ubehebe_Crater and we would meet him there unless he decided to head for camp before we got there. OK Moto-Treks and I would go on to the Racetrack.

The Racetrack is another place I have wanted to see for a while I wanted to see those rocks that move across the playa on their own. The first time I was in Death Valley we tried to go to the Racetrack but were stopped by a deep sandy road. We went in a few miles from the crater side but were on bikes more suited to street riding and with street tires on. We were moving very slow and duck walking more than riding so we deiced we didn’t want to do that for 20 miles to see the rocks. The road in from the crater is much different now.

We stopped where the sign is and a small parking lot.

I was excited to see the moving rocks and we headed toward the Grandstand to find the rocks. I hadn’t walked on a playa before, the closed was the Bonneville Salt Flats, and I found the playa fun to walk on.

We got out to the Grandstand and walked all the way around it.

With all that walking there were no rocks to be seen. Dang. Later that evening I discovered we needed to go further south to the far end of the Playa to find the rocks. Oh well, I guess I need to go back and try again. The third time’s the charm and all that.

Since we couldn’t find the moving rocks we headed for the Ubehebe_Crater

It sure was windy up there but the crater is interesting.

After checking out the crater I told Moto-Treks to go on ahead of me because he could go a lot faster than I would and I didn’t want to hold him back. I took my time and enjoyed some of the magic Death Valley has to offer.

I decided to stop at Stovepipe Wells for gas but discovered their pumps weren’t taking credit cards and they were very busy. I decided I had enough gas to get to camp and if I didn’t I still had my spare gallon. As I was pulling away I spotted Moto-Treks enjoying an ice cream. He looks happy doesn’t he?

Headed back to camp.

This guy was buzzing camp and even though he seemed to get a little too close a few times he was fun to watch.

A beautiful full Death Valley moon rose and made a perfect ending to a perfect day.

Day 3 is coming up next. . . .
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 482
Great pics and story Bugsister. Looking forward to more....
I just got back from a little 3600 mile putt down the coast to California and back up through Utah. I am still alive, barely. I learned that my St1100 does not like side winds that barely bother the HD. Anyone wanna buy a Honda St1100 with 85,000 miles?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Hi!!!

I LOVE your teakettle!

Will post your ride report thread on adv gals, ok?
(too late.....already done)

Awesome ride report of a person following her own North Star :)

BSkye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Great pics and story Bugsister. Looking forward to more....
I just got back from a little 3600 mile putt down the coast to California and back up through Utah. I am still alive, barely. I learned that my St1100 does not like side winds that barely bother the HD. Anyone wanna buy a Honda St1100 with 85,000 miles?
I was wondering what happened to you. I thought maybe you and Nora just drove off into the sunset chasing hot springs and didn't find your way home.

You'll miss your ST if you sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkye View Post

I LOVE your teakettle!

Will post your ride report thread on adv gals, ok?
(too late.....already done)

Awesome ride report of a person following her own North Star :)
Thanks - now on to more north star following.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #27
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 3 - Wednesday 3/27/13

Another morning walk treated me to more colorful skies.

Things change rapidly and it’s all pretty.

Walking back to my campsite I had to get a photo of this bus. I kept looking at it and thinking how much fun it would be to have something like. It might not be as luxurious as a motorhome but it sure would be useful and different.

Airhead Bruce and NoRa planned to head for home the next day so Bruce decided to not ride, get some rest and get things ready to pull out the next day. He had already been riding about a week before I got there. Moto-Treks and I would be riding to Darwin and Airhead Bruce had already been there before I got to DV.

The road to Darwin at least the road we would be taking. There’s an easier way but this would be more fun.

There goes Moto-Treks I guess I should stop taking pictures and start riding.

As I was riding up the hill toward Darwin it kept climbing and climbing……As soon as I thought it might level out it would continue to climb. I wanted to see the view but I needed to keep my eye on the road ahead. Even with that I still didn’t look ahead far enough and got in over my head. I was on the left side of the road where the best line started but the good part changed to the right side and I was busy looking at the left side. A bit of a pause and I was done. I was stopped in the middle of a bunch of rocks and knew if I dropped it trying to get started again I would be crashing on rocks. I wimped out and asked Moto-Treks to take it past the rocky section since he has longer legs and is a much better rider. He makes the bike look tiny.

As I was walking up the hill I was able to turn around and see what was behind me and it sure was a nice view.

About the time the hill finally leveled out there was a mine site to check.

The Superbug has a following.

China Springs

Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign……

There was a geocache in the area and I was going to find it. Meanwhile Moto-Treks went to talk with the fish.

Typical for me I didn’t find the cache but I did find a couple catus.

I was having fun looking at the rocks, mountains, cactus and all the desert has to offer then I remembered Moto-Treks was patiently waiting for me.

We were riding again

But not for long and we had to stop and explore another mining site.

Lots of metal pieces out there.

More of day 3 coming up in a while.....
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #28
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Nice RR

Thanks for sharing DV I will be back
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,474
Awesome!!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Thanks for the report, DV is great. Were you at the Mexican 1000 finish last year in San Jose? Think I met you their.
Baja Ho is online now   Reply With Quote