User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
mill OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Fuego Dinero: Solo Gringo from Los Angeles to Puebla, MX

So I'm a newb around here, semi newb to the international adventure thing, and kind of a newb to the whole ride reports in general. I am not a newb however to motorcycles or long distance travel. Here's my first attempt at an ADV RR...bear with me.

My brother lives in LA, and last year I had him pick up a 1997 Suzuki DR650 to keep there for me to ride when I come to visit. I live in Alabama, and try my best to visit once or twice a year. Needless to say, the bike didn't manage to stay in LA very long. Talking with a friend of mine, I decided I would ride the bike south, down the Baja, hop the ferry to Mazatlan and continue forward to Panama where I would meet him the following year to continue forward.

The route planning began

I gathered tools and and double checked my list

Due to the fact that I work a normal 9-5 job, and my vacation is broken up throughout the year, I was going to have to split the trip to Panama into 2 legs. This would be my first leg of the journey, and I hoped to end in Puebla, MX where I would leave the bike. My intentions are to return in July to complete the second leg to Panama According to what I had calculated, I was going to complete a total of around 2,200 miles over the course of 7 days for the first leg of the trip. This was going to be a challenge. I would leave Saturday morning from Los Angeles and "hope" to arrive the following Saturday in Puebla, MX......."hope" being the key word here!

Things started going screwy for me on the very first day. Often times I find that people are not very well adapt to things going wrong. For some reason I have a totally different approach when shit turns south. For the most part, I've just learned to laugh them off.

My flight leaves sometime Friday morning from the local airport. I land in Dallas and plan to catch a connecting flight to Los Angeles. Once I arrive at the gate, I find out that there is a delay in my flight. Apparently the hatch on the plane is not operating properly and is in need of repair. Cool, let the waiting begin. After about a two hour delay we finally board. The pilot proceeds to tell us that the can not fly at the typical velocity due to the repairs to the hatch. Great!!!! So now we're flying around at 30,000ft. with zip ties for hatch hinges and duct tape for door seals. Let's do this thing!

I arrive at LAX almost 3hrs behind schedule. It's dark and close to 9pm. My brother picks me up and we head to the casa. After staying out late finishing up a few small things on the bike (wiring accessory outlets and such), I manage to get in bed a little after midnight. The next morning comes early, and I'm on the road to the border by 6:30am.

mill screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 08:36 PM
mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,635

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
mill OP
Adventurer

I must take the freeway down in order to make time. You see, time is imperative on this trip. I have to be in LaPaz and boarding the ferry by 14:00 Tuesday afternoon. The ferry only crosses on certain days, and if I happen to miss the Tuesday crossing I will be unable to catch the next ferry to Mazatlan until Thursday. If that happens, well.....my 7 day schedule is shot.

That "I should know better" moment numero uno:

I'm making decent time down the Santa Ana Freeway and I start to think about fuel mileage. I had pre-calculated that I should be able to squeeze around 120 miles out of a tank. I look down and I am around 123 miles on the trip meter. I need to stop at the next exit for fuel. Almost immediately the bike begins to sputter and cuts out on me. As I am blindly grabbing for the petcock to switch it to reserve, I make my way to the merge delta and come to a stop. Now that I can see what I'm doing I locate the petcock....GREAT!!!! It's on reserve. You see, the bike had been at the shop for a tune up and minor work before I got there, and apparently they were running the bike on reserve. Me, being the dingaling that I am, failed to check the petcock before I headed out on the road.

So here I am on the side of CA-5 with now gas. This isn't suppose to happen here. I expected this in the Baja!!!!! I shake the tank and get the bike started. I get off the freeway and locate a gas station (2.5 miles away) with my GPS. I manage to keep the bike going for about a mile and it dies. I shake it and start again. Another mile and that's all she's got. Fortunately I get stopped in front of a house where a few people are congregated outside. I ask if they happen to have any gas. I often forget that I'm not in Alabama and everyone here doesn't have a yard to cut....why the hell would they have gas laying around?!?!?!?!? I grab one of my hydration bladders that I had planned to test for fuel storage, and one of the guys takes me to the gas station. I get back to the bike, take it to fill up and I'm back on the road. That went well haha!!!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
mill OP
Adventurer

During my planning, I had decided I would cross into Mexico @ Tecate instead of Tijuana. From my research it would be far less populated, an easier crossing, and a better ride to get there. Once I exited the freeway, the road transformed into quite the twisty track, carving it's way between the dry top mountains. I arrive in Tecate around 11:00. Still not bad considering my previous dilemma. I've never been through a border crossing, so this was all foreign to me. I pull up to the downed arm and wait. After a few seconds the arm raises and I drive through. No one approaches me, or even looks my direction really. There is a group of military police holding assault rifles to my right. I pull up and tell them I need to get my visa and a vehicle permit. They direct me where to park and I make my way into the office. After filling out my paperwork for my visa, they send me out the door to the bank to pay and get my permit.

Here it comes....that "I should know better" numero dos:

The clerk at the bank wants my vehicle title and registration. In preparation for the trip, I had my brother scan them and I printed multiples to carry with me. I also told him I would need to carry the originals with me when I made the trip. Apparently that got lost in translation along the way. When I handed the envelope that my brother had given me to the clerk, he opened it to reveal....wait for it........PHOTO COPIES!!!!!!!

I asked if there was anything I could do, but he really had no answer for me. He told me to go talk with the customs official in the other office. He said that if they would put a stamp of approval on it, then he could issue the permit...otherwise it was back to LA. After spending several minutes trying to communicate with the customs official what I wanted, she left to make a phone call. Fifteen minutes later, she comes back and shoots me down. Slightly irritated, I get back on the bike and drive the 3 hours (175 miles) back to LA. This in itself was a mental hurdle for me. I quickly calmed down. No matter how I wanted to look at it, I should have double checked that envelope! Again, I knew better. This was my fault....oh well, so much for that time management shit! Let's just hope I am still able to make it to LaPaz by Tuesday.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Looking good bro!

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
i hope my luck is better when it's my turn...good stuff!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
During my planning, I had decided I would cross into Mexico @ Tecate instead of Tijuana. From my research it would be far less populated, an easier crossing, and a better ride to get there. Once I exited the freeway, the road transformed into quite the twisty track, carving it's way between the dry top mountains. I arrive in Tecate around 11:00. Still not bad considering my previous dilemma. I've never been through a border crossing, so this was all foreign to me. I pull up to the downed arm and wait. After a few seconds the arm raises and I drive through. No one approaches me, or even looks my direction really. There is a group of military police holding assault rifles to my right. I pull up and tell them I need to get my visa and a vehicle permit. They direct me where to park and I make my way into the office. After filling out my paperwork for my visa, they send me out the door to the bank to pay and get my permit.

Here it comes....that "I should know better" numero dos:

The clerk at the bank wants my vehicle title and registration. In preparation for the trip, I had my brother scan them and I printed multiples to carry with me. I also told him I would need to carry the originals with me when I made the trip. Apparently that got lost in translation along the way. When I handed the envelope that my brother had given me to the clerk, he opened it to reveal....wait for it........PHOTO COPIES!!!!!!!

I asked if there was anything I could do, but he really had no answer for me. He told me to go talk with the customs official in the other office. He said that if they would put a stamp of approval on it, then he could issue the permit...otherwise it was back to LA. After spending several minutes trying to communicate with the customs official what I wanted, she left to make a phone call. Fifteen minutes later, she comes back and shoots me down. Slightly irritated, I get back on the bike and drive the 3 hours (175 miles) back to LA. This in itself was a mental hurdle for me. I quickly calmed down. No matter how I wanted to look at it, I should have double checked that envelope! Again, I knew better. This was my fault....oh well, so much for that time management shit! Let's just hope I am still able to make it to LaPaz by Tuesday.
Registration receipt is all that is needed.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
mill OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Registration receipt is all that is needed.
Well, I'm no customs official but I can tell you with %100 confidence that photo copies are not acceptable
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
mill OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i hope my luck is better when it's my turn...good stuff!
Despite all of the unfortunate events that unfold during this story, I still feel that it was a fantastic trip. I never really lose it, I laugh at myself a lot and shake my head often. In the end the cards fall all as they should and I usually come back with a helluva story. It's these challenges, or hiccups as I like to call them, as well as the people I meet along the way that keep the trip exciting and make it that much more memorable. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,635
Quote:
Well, I'm no customs official but I can tell you with %100 confidence that photo copies are not acceptable
SOMEtimes when you get a rejection like the one you got from the customs official the REAL issue is that they aren't paid very much and they're looking for a little help from you so they can send you on your way. Next time you're in a bureaucratic jam like that consider tossing a twenty (US) into the mix and see if that doesn't fix you up. Pretty cheap compared to what you went through to make it right. And it's not extortion if you're atoning for your own error. Even when things go well it's a good idea to TIP the official as a gesture of appreciation. I usually slip them a 50 peso bill with a smile.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
S.N.A.F.U.

Here we go.....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,598
Title isn't needed, but original registration is.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791
checking in. of course im reading.

Quote:
...." Talking with a friend of mine, I decided I would ride the bike south, down the Baja, hop the ferry to Mazatlan and continue forward to Panama where I would meet him the following year to continue forward."

yo man, im following this *duh*. do you think they will wonder why these two alabama guys have all these friggin bike problems ?? with our powers combined we will be a rolling trail of malfunction, failure and protein bar wrappers! my bike is in panama awaiting company. enjoying the report you fucking idiot

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote