Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
I think the Ohlins shouldn't be compared to any of the fully adjustables on the market.

Just because it has the gold fancy word on it, doesn't mean it's good.
IN the name of the Sky Moose.....where do you get off with common sense and accurate assessments?

I whole heartedly agree. The cafe latte crowd say I'm raving mad and don't know what I'm on about.

Load the BuMW up and take it "off road" (a novel concept for some) and the Ohlins is pure shit. No anti bottom out, completely linear compression, no compression adjustment....what the hell were they thinking?

I did 3 resprings and 2 revalves and it's now "nice" in a 2 up take things relatively easy kind of way. Sure, I can push the boundaries of sensible on occasion...but get nasty with it and it's a soggy bag of shit.

I don't like riding "nice". I want to get "nasty" with it. It screams out for me to get funky when solo on a fire trail, and the bolt of lightning up my spine when I hit the first real "bump" is totally annoying.

I have the front end sorted to my satisfaction, and now I'm thinking of something better for the rear. Maybe this Touratech shock of which they speak? Maybe I'll build a hybrid from the various MX shocks in the garage.

But the Ohlins is on borrowed time either way. I consider it an utter waste of the total $2300 it's cost so far.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
IN the name of the Sky Moose.....where do you get off with common sense and accurate assessments?

I whole heartedly agree. The cafe latte crowd say I'm raving mad and don't know what I'm on about.

Load the BuMW up and take it "off road" (a novel concept for some) and the Ohlins is pure shit. No anti bottom out, completely linear compression, no compression adjustment....what the hell were they thinking?

I did 3 resprings and 2 revalves and it's now "nice" in a 2 up take things relatively easy kind of way. Sure, I can push the boundaries of sensible on occasion...but get nasty with it and it's a soggy bag of shit.

I don't like riding "nice". I want to get "nasty" with it. It screams out for me to get funky when solo on a fire trail, and the bolt of lightning up my spine when I hit the first real "bump" is totally annoying.

I have the front end sorted to my satisfaction, and now I'm thinking of something better for the rear. Maybe this Touratech shock of which they speak? Maybe I'll build a hybrid from the various MX shocks in the garage.

But the Ohlins is on borrowed time either way. I consider it an utter waste of the total $2300 it's cost so far.
Snowy probably like you I was brought up to be in awe of ohlins. Your posts on how much a pos it is is a clear signal to me as to buying the extreme rear shock. Your experience with the ohlins is nothing short of shocking ;).

The extreme seems priced the same as the ohlins you bought here.

I called TT to see if there are any extremes here in Aus so I might get a price here otherwise ill buy one in the us and ship sideways
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
It's a well made entry level shock. Don't get me wrong. An over priced entry level shock - probably more to do with the Ohlins Australia dealership being car oriented.

It would suit a bike that is ridden one up, no real loads, and no "real" off road.

Then it would, in fact, be "ok".

Apparently my idea of "off road" and everyone elses differs. I am not trying to be "hard core". I just take wifey out and ride through the National Parks and State Forests of the high country. 4x4 tracks and fire trails.

For the Ohlins this is too much of an ask, no matter how many times you rebuild it.

Going way out west where you can ride on wash board dirt all day for days on end.....oh good god no....it's ok for short periods, then it overheats and turns to shit.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It's a well made entry level shock. Don't get me wrong. An over priced entry level shock - probably more to do with the Ohlins Australia dealership being car oriented.

It would suit a bike that is ridden one up, no real loads, and no "real" off road.

Then it would, in fact, be "ok".

Apparently my idea of "off road" and everyone elses differs. I am not trying to be "hard core". I just take wifey out and ride through the National Parks and State Forests of the high country. 4x4 tracks and fire trails.

For the Ohlins this is too much of an ask, no matter how many times you rebuild it.

Going way out west where you can ride on wash board dirt all day for days on end.....oh good god no....it's ok for short periods, then it overheats and turns to shit.
All shocks can overheat I guess. There's not too many places in the world these days that you can do 500km of massive corrugations.

Having said that most 4wdrivers carry spare shocks.

The extreme looks perfect
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 829
I cannot agree more with what snowy said. I have replaced countless lower clevis, broken shock shafts, seal heads, and even one broken piston. I've seen a trend with their units, which is why I only sell a few of the units (on road applications). I am the only tuner in the US that has the tooling and know how to take these apart and service them. I was truly impressed with the quality, design, and valving stacks that came STOCK.
Touratech even required a few really nice features for the long distance adventure rider. All units have a threaded body cap, whereas 95% of other aftermarket units have the standard clip holding the seal head in place. The reasoning for this feature is if you we're to have a shock failure there is not a chance of the seal head retaining clip coming out if you lost a nitro charge. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had customers come in with a few aftermarket units that had the seal head loose, or just about to come off. The machining required to add that feature is expensive, but its little features along these lines that make these units great.
I delivered a expedition shock to a customer today with my fork conversion on a 2011 F800GS.

Konflict Motorsports screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 08:24 PM
Konflict Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Great discussion going here

Hey konflict are you able to provide any better how to's on setting up the extreme and or other TT shocks as I find if I understand when and how to adjust something I'm more likely to do so. Eg 'off tar with 30kg you should wind back preload' etc.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #22
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Wow that's a great report. Thanks. It seems like this shock really is the best shock available for the f800gs.

Did you play around with the ride height adjustment?
There was no need since a stayed with the original travel at the front suspension and this shock is by default set to correspond that.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #23
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Great discussion going here

Hey konflict are you able to provide any better how to's on setting up the extreme and or other TT shocks as I find if I understand when and how to adjust something I'm more likely to do so. Eg 'off tar with 30kg you should wind back preload' etc.
This prealod graph is what I'm planning to do. I will do this in more detailed with my normal basic load (me, riding gear and backpack with hydration and minor tools) and then with my normal travel gear weight added. By this I try to make some kind of map of preload adjustment with different loads.

Unfortunately I'm not able to do this at the moment - busy with other stuff for a few weeks.

Damping is then another story. I have read some literature on that but still have a lot to learn. Since the suspension has changed so dramatically better (front and rear) I really have to learn to ride again. Bike is soooo much better and riding the shitty original suspension has left its marks. I still ride cautiously when there is no need for it anymore. Roads and trails became smoother overnight...
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
xsf18cdf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Question Ohlins does not have PDS?

What about BM802/302/303?

Thanks,
G
xsf18cdf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf View Post
What about BM802/302/303?

Thanks,
G
If I read the information correctly PDS is only available for the most expensive TT shock ($1795) ...

And no I don't think Öhlins shock provide you with that kind of feature, although the newer cartridges for the fork are supposed to prevent a bottoming out.

petzi-baer

petzi-baer screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 03:09 PM
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
xsf18cdf
Adventurer

Question PDS in Ohlins

According to Ohlins rep in NC the above mentioned shocks have a progressive damping circuit on them. Getting ready to purchase and want to make sure I've got good info. I just had the forks done by them.

Thanks,

G
Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
xsf18cdf
Adventurer

Context

I am 52, been riding since I was 12, raced motocross until joining the Army. I don't plan on motocrossing/enduro'ing, but plan on off-road, camping, etc. I'm fit for an old guy, but been shot a couple times, a broken neck and a couple helicopter crashes that I'm reminded of daily so just trail riding and camping (2-up) will be as wild as I'll get.

Thanks,

G
Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
How much height adjustment (increase) is available?
Are there any consequences for chain/sprocket/axle/wheelbase etc?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #29
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
How much height adjustment (increase) is available?
Are there any consequences for chain/sprocket/axle/wheelbase etc?
You mean for the TT shock? I read another 10mm at the shock which equates to 25mm at the wheel.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #30
Tom Morrison
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
When I decided to return my lowered F650 to standard height, I went with Ohlins, and am quite happy with the ride improvement. The one thing that would keep me away from the Touratech units, is the rediculous mark up on them. You can buy an Ohlins for half the price they ask for the same shock. I've heard these touratech shocks are made by Tractive? Is there an alternate dealer that does not gouge riders?
Tom Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote