ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
jkdwings OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Currently Riding Through Your Land!

Update: Hey folks, I'm currently writing a report for this ride I did and just finished my latest post of some riding in Michigan. Check it out if you have the time! http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post22898422

Hey guys, a Canuck here with ya. I recently bought a KLR in Buffalo and have just started riding it home to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Yes that's a real place, I swear the name isn't made up. Anyway, I'm currently hanging out in a Mcd's in Ravenna, Ohio and wondering where I should go next. I'm trying to avoid interstates, and thus far have been riding mostly secondary highways. I'll be entering Canada through the Portal border crossing in the NW corner of North Dakota, so states I'll possibly go through between here and there are: Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and the Dakotas. Obviously not all of them, it will depend which way I go.

So if you have any suggestions of great roads to ride, be it curvy, dirt, trail, or anything else, give a shout! I'm also camping the whole way, so perhaps some great places to camp as well? I haven't really planned much route wise, as I just intended to go west and north every once in a while, haha. Any suggestions on anything to see would be appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance,
Jason

jkdwings screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 04:45 PM
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Canuk

Hope you enjoy your trip here. I'm in the Missouri, you didn't mention traveling here. If you do come thru Missouri, go the southern route, north is kinda flat from east to west on 70. You need to drop south to enjoy the US!
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
wide open...

That's a lotta territory in between, but I'd suggest angling up into Northern Wisconsin and hugging the shore of Lake Superior a bit. Ashland, Bayfield, into Superior. Into Duluth, Minnesota and the north woods, winding westward.

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
jkdwings OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
Hope you enjoy your trip here. I'm in the Missouri, you didn't mention traveling here. If you do come thru Missouri, go the southern route, north is kinda flat from east to west on 70. You need to drop south to enjoy the US!
Thanks for the reply! I do have a bit of a time constraint - need to be home in a week and a half at the longest, so unfortunately don't think I'll make it to Missouri, especially the south part.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
I got nuthin to add other than there's a bit of snow falling across IA/MN/WI right now

Not sure what it looks like in Northern WI yet, but you may find snow ice on some of the roads there as well.

Ride safe.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
How about taking the SS Badger car ferry across lake Michigan to Manitowac WI. Then head north thru the Nicolet national forest into Michigan again thru the Ottawa national forest to WI.Then on toward Ashland Wi and follow the Lake Superior shoreline to Minnesota.
jas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
The shoreline of Lake Michigan and Superior offer some great views. If you're in Ohio, you aren't far from Michigan. Northern Wisconsin and Northern Minnesota are nice as well, plus you ride through them to get to N. Dakota.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
jkdwings OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestions Split rock! I did enjoy the roads along the shore of Erie coming through NY and OH, so Superior sounds great!

And thanks Papalobster for the weather considerations. After having great weather the last few days I forgot that there may still be snow. Strange, considering there was still lots of snow back home when I left.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdwings View Post

I haven't really planned much route wise, as I just intended to go west and north every once in a while, haha.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Thats my kind of trip! Mickey Dees rocks! Free Wifi, clean bathrooms and cheap drinks. Have a safe dry trip.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,458
Main (paved) roads here in 'da UP should all be clear and dry.

A couple of spots closed due to flooding....but nothing you shouldn't be able to work your way around.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...8#.UYFXS0orzjY

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...aspx?id=892125

We had a ton of snow that melted in a hurry.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
jkdwings OP
Adventurer

Looks like the Badger ferry doesn't begin operating till May 6th, which is a bit too late for me. Think I'm going to head west for the rest of the day and see where I get to, then go from there. Weather permitting, Wisconsin and Minnesota seem like a great way. Keep the recommendations coming as I'll check in with my next wifi connection and update as to where I am. Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,132
The ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee is running and bikes are free.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,099
head North thru Michigan

OH, IN, Il = boring and paved backroads.
Michigan has gravel backroads, scenic, get to sleeping bear dunes area, across bridge and the UP.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I forgot to mention in my previous post that it would be interesting to read of the trip, what route you picked, and what you liked/disliked about the choices in a ride report if you get an opportunity.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
The Driftless Area or Paleozoic Plateau is a region in the American Midwest noted mainly for its deeply carved river valleys. While primarily in southwestern Wisconsin, it includes areas of southeastern Minnesota, northeastern Iowa and extreme northwestern Illinois. The region includes elevations ranging from 603 to 1,719 feet (184 to 524 m) and covers an area of 16,203 square miles (42,000 km2). The region's peculiar terrain is the result of its having escaped glaciation in the last glacial period.

If this sounds interesting, ride toward the southwest corner of WI then zig-zag along Mississippi valley to St. Paul.
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote