Two kevlar shirts under a dinosaur leather jacket,
Four pairs of lead lined pants,
2 pam chloride in case the Dow chemical plant in Midland MI has a leak,
A chain saw in case an old grow redwood falls across the road,
Tamiflu in case of a bird flu pandemic,
12 gauge for zombie shit,
and a big fucking tampon for your vag
You forgot the diapers!

Just a thought, light a cigarette and only inhale through it, exhale through your nose. All impurities will be burned and those that aren't will get stuck in the filter. Sounds like cigarette smoke is cleaner than the "pure" air around these days.
Rakthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #17
aeneas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I wear a mask similar to the razr posted earlier (with charcoal filter) and am very happy about it..

We can lane split here and I my commute in the evening usually goes trough a traffic jam on the highway between semis.. The mask really gets rid of the diesel smell.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #18
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 114
Diesel

When ever I have to ride through London I find that when I get home my snot is black from all the particulates in the exhaust. I have often thought a mask might be a good idea.

Then I remember I wear glasses and can barely keep them from fogging 8 months a year.

Mike
Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #19
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Oh my. What a complete bunch of silly ninnys! It isn't the AIR that's gonna kill you. That cute little teenage girl texting her friends while driving home from school, or the mini-van-driving soccer mom who's on her way to drop Junior off at pre-school before work while she's looking in the mirror applying make-up is gonna kill you LONG BEFORE the particulates start to affect your lungs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
I would wear at least 3m 8233 particulate dusk mask. Also,
A SPF 600 or higher sunblock,
Two kevlar shirts under a dinosaur leather jacket,
Four pairs of lead lined pants,
2 pam chloride in case the Dow chemical plant in Midland MI has a leak,
A chain saw in case an old grow redwood falls across the road,
Tamiflu in case of a bird flu pandemic,
12 gauge for zombie shit,
and a big fucking tampon for your vag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakthi View Post
You forgot the diapers!

Just a thought, light a cigarette and only inhale through it, exhale through your nose. All impurities will be burned and those that aren't will get stuck in the filter. Sounds like cigarette smoke is cleaner than the "pure" air around these days.
You know, my Mom always said, "If you don't have something nice to say, just ." I don't understand why assholes like you guys would even join this conversation if you think so little of it???? There are people out there living in places where this kind of concern is very real and, with the exception of your assholery, there are some very good options presented. I live in an area that gets amazing pollen levels in the Spring and this year it's beyond anything I've experienced before, so riding and filtering it all with my sinuses really does cause problems. I appreciate the positive suggestions and am sorry you s joined the discussion.

Doug
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
injun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
dust

My son lives just outside of Jakarta in Indonesia and he wears a full respirator, I have seen pics of the air if you can call it that!
It;s like standing in the rain with a strainer hoping for a bucket of water
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
Hey Twatwaffle, you just broke your own rule.

Hand around for a while and learn how to do the internet thing.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #22
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,638
I just need someting for the insane dust for the AZ offroading.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJansen View Post

Then I remember I wear glasses and can barely keep them from fogging 8 months a year.

Mike

A drop of liquid dishwashing soap, rub on glasses until clear, do not use water, just a dry cloth to apply. Do not touch lens with your fingers after applying.

This creates a thin film that stops fogging and lasts all day. Reapply each morning if needed.
bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by injun View Post
My son lives just outside of Jakarta in Indonesia and he wears a full respirator, I have seen pics of the air if you can call it that!
I live in Jakarta Indonesia and commute on my bike every day. I always wear a face mask when going to the office in the morning. I never leave home without it. You do not want to get caught in a traffic jam, on a motorbike without a mask. Going home in the evening, I usually leave the office after 7 pm, often times I don't wear the mask cause the traffic is not as bad as it is in the morning.

On weekend ride or long ride, I don't wear a mask
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Oh my. What a complete bunch of silly ninnys! It isn't the AIR that's gonna kill you. That cute little teenage girl texting her friends while driving home from school, or the mini-van-driving soccer mom who's on her way to drop Junior off at pre-school before work while she's looking in the mirror applying make-up is gonna kill you LONG BEFORE the particulates start to affect your lungs!
You must live in your mommie's basement. Many parts of the world is is common practice to wear a surgical mask or the like during pollen/allergy season. It is a good idea, I do not personally do it but I am suffering as a result as I type this with sneezing and itchy red eyes. Leave your mama's basement and go to Japan or one of many other Asian countries and see for yourself. I wish that practice would be adopted here, it is a good idea and helps people cut back from taking so many drugs.

Now go back to playing WOW with your virtual friends and yell for mommie to bring you something to eat.

mrphotoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Many parts of the world is is common practice to wear a surgical mask or the like during pollen/allergy season. It is a good idea, I do not personally do it but I am suffering as a result as I type this with sneezing and itchy red eyes. Leave your mama's basement and go to Japan or one of many other Asian countries and see for yourself.
Yer right. I was a bit hasty in my response, altho other than one poster from Bankok, the rest were from relatively 'airy' places like the Tetons, Rockies, Florida, Washington state, Virginia, Georgia. However, I do have some acquaintances (notice I didn't say 'friends'--I don't have friends 'cause Mom couldn't tolerate 'em) who suffer from severe allergies, and they typically avoid the activities that trigger those attacks by hiring others to clean their houses, cut their grass, and eat their nut-laced cookies. In that vein, I would like to offer to ride your bike for you during those times yer feeling kind'a sniffly, but only if you have a very nice bike that Mom would approve of. I'll also offer to eat any of YOUR Mom's homemade cookies with nuts. Mmmm, I love cookies with nuts!!!

I still stand by my original statement that, given the level of inherent risk in the sport of MCing, air quality--at least here in the states--is pretty damn low on my totem pole of risk. I used to see a guy who drove to work every morning in an old Datsun station wagon wearing a full coverage helmet. Prolly not a big risk taker...so I won't think you too risk averse if you choose to ride your bike among the clueless, inept cagers wearing a dust mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Now go back to playing WOW with your virtual friends and yell for mommie to bring you something to eat.
Thanks!!! Great suggestion....I am feeling a bit peckish. Mom's bringing me a sammich in a few...

BTW, how did you get that picture of me? It's one of the better one's, I think.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
I wear a bright red bandana. By the end of a month it is a dark red bandana to be tossed in the laundry basket. Imagine all that stuff touring your bronchia.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #28
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
respro makes a number of masks for just such purpose. respro dot com
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #29
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Particulate matter greater than about 2.5 microns generally deposit in the upper breathing zone and in healthy individuals are cleared fairly quickly and easily. Aerosols less than 2.5 microns will make it to the alveoli where in healthy individuals gets cleared. Here's the penetration curve for the most common filter masks.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...21850207000870
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
It has been stated repeatedly that the Far East habit of wearing facial masks is mostly for cosmetics, to avoid the undesirable sun tan; with dust protection as a practical bonus.
Combined with the notion that surgical masks are fairly inadequate and the self cleaning capacity of our lungs masks may be overkill.

So, maybe the good old scarf is more than adequate. It definitely has more uses and applications too.

Post note: courtesy of hayfever life at the receiving end of the stick is not unfamiliar to me.