Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Herbivore63 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
ADV Photographers - Which camera type? Premium P&S or Mirrorless?

I am a reasonably experienced photographer but a relatively new rider and ADVíer. Iím getting geared up for a couple trips this year which will include portions of the Backcountry Discovery Routes in Washington and Utah. My good DSLR will not be going on those trips. I want something smaller, lighter and more convenient. So, Iím looking for something that will be easy to carry and always close at hand but still capable of taking some great pictures.

Before looking at specific cameras, Iím trying to figure out which type of camera is best with the two obvious choices being a premium point & shoot (e.g. Canon G15, Canon S110, Nikon D7700, etc.) or a small Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (e.g. Canon EOS M, Samsung NX1000, etc.) with a pancake lens and/or a small zoom. I really want the larger sensor with the picture quality that a MILC would provide but itís not as convenient to pack and handle. A P&S can stay in my coat pocket close at hand. A MILC would reside in my tank bag.

Can any of you tell me about your experience and how you typically use your camera when traveling? Where do you keep it? How important is having a completely pocketable camera? Am I likely to take fewer pictures if itís in my tank bag? Are there other issues that would be created by the more clunky form of the MILCís? Is having an integrated lens cap important? What conclusions have you come to regarding the trade-off of convenience vs. image quality?
Herbivore63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
I feel your pain. For the last 4 -5 years I've traveled with my Sony mega zoom, H-9, I believe. It's been a good compromise, I think. Of course the image quality suffers with the smaller sensor, but it & all it's gear (charger, ext. batt., filters, etc) all fit into a small vidcam bag, strapped to the luggage rack or sometimes worn on my back if I know I'm likely to be shooting. A small P&S would of course be easier & more handy for sudden shots, but the big zoom range of the H-9, without the bother of extra lenses or weight & bulk (& cost!) of a DSLR is a blessing.It's just about in the middle. Of late, however, I've been hearing glowing reports about the new, larger format, NEX series, with interchangeable lenses, but no mirror. Sort of the form factor of an old rangefinder camera. The reviews are glowing, especially the NEX 7, with an OLED viewfinder. (I never came to love the LCD screen). It's smaller than my H-9 but with the sensor of an entry level DSLR. The >$1000 price is intimidating, but I think I'll make the jump when the price drops, probably after a newer top of the lie is introduced.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
I used a NEX5 for a couple weeks in Europe last year, and if I was looking to buy a camera right now, the NEX7 would be at the top of my list. IMHO, a perfect camera for ADV riding.

I'd keep it in the tank bag for easy access. I LOVE wide lenses, so I'd keep the shortest I could find on the body with a good polarizer for daytime shooting.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
Micro 4/3

I've been shooting for 30 years with a variety of equipment, and right now I am setting on micro 4/3 for adventure riding.

I have a Panasonic GF5 with a 14mm lens that goes into my jacket pocket. It is no bigger than the Canon G15. I use to have a G10, but gave that away when I got the Panasonic. Having to remove the lens cap does not bother me. I can do it with my gloves on (and take a picture with my gloves on), and I just stick it in my pocket.

In my side case, I keep a Panasonic GF3 with a 45mm Oly lens attached. Yep, two 4/3 cameras. First, I am a prime lens guy. There is too much of a trade off of image quality with zooms, for me. Also, when you use zooms, most people just use either ends; not focal lengths in between. If you do need something in between, zoom with your feet
The other reason I have two is the price. Panny and Oly update models all the time. The close out prices are ridiculous. I picked up the GF3 for $200 last year, and the GF5 last month for $200. You can get the 14mm on ebay new for about $178. I can't remember how much the 45mm was.

Also, the advantage of buying 4/3 over point and shoot is the glass. The G15 will be updated, and you will get a new camera at some point. With the 4/3 system, update the body, keep the glass forever. The 14mm is a good, compact lens. The 45mm is a great lens.

I also like having the two cameras hiking. I don't have to changed lenses. One goes into the right pockets, the other in the left. They are so small and light, it is no big deal.

I do have one concern. Having that camera in my pocket in front of my chest. On a get off, I can see landing in such a way that the camera is between me and the ground. Broken rib?

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun on your rides! I may actually get around to doing the entire WABDR this year. I really don't have a good excuse as to why I haven't yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
I traveled around the US with a DSLR in the tank bag. This worked really well -- better than a smaller camera would have. The extra weight of the DSLR didn't matter, and the extra bulk made it much easier to use for quick shots -- I could even take pictures without taking my gloves off. That said, most of the time now I use a mirrorless camera (earlier Samsung NX100, now Fuji X-E1) because they're so much easier to walk around with than a DSLR.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Herbivore63 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Mirrorless - LCD Quality?

Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like mirrorless is the consensus view and I was really expecting to hear the opposite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroda_tadayoshi View Post
I have a Panasonic GF5 with a 14mm lens that goes into my jacket pocket. It is no bigger than the Canon G15.

Also, the advantage of buying 4/3 over point and shoot is the glass. The G15 will be updated, and you will get a new camera at some point. With the 4/3 system, update the body, keep the glass forever.
Those are great points. Using a prime lens does make it about the same size as some of the P&S cameras. Less convenient maybe than a zoom, but with the larger sensor size photos can be cropped significantly if needed, in effect adding a "digital zoom" to the camera. And you bring up the wisdom of buying good glass and the best lens system because glass retains it's value and cameras, particularly digital cameras, depreciate quickly. The Sony DSC-RX100 has a lot going for it as a P&S with a relatively large sensor and decent lens. But it costs $650 and will probably be nearly worthless in two or three years.

One other question/issue...As one of you mentioned, shooting without a viewfinder can be painful. I was on a weekend trip recently using a cheap P&S and almost threw it off the ferry because I couldn't see a blasted thing in the LCD. How do you find the LCD's and is it worth focusing on finding one that has an accessory viewfinder?
Herbivore63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 239
I like M4/3, but prefer the Panasonic G-series. Articulated LCD is useful for various reasons, but in sun the EVF is better, esp, when close-focusing.

Another consideration, if you are proficient with cropping for a shot, is the Sigma Merrill series, proficient photogs are getting some incredible stuff out of them. Drawback is no lens changing and short battery life. I'm not quite there with carrying multiple battery-eating cameras, but if the charging could be sorted they could be good tools.

The NEX 7 I briefly handled was nicely-built, but it left me cold as a tool somehow. One thing is the lenses aren't significantly smaller than DSLR, and there are fewer choices without adapters.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyK View Post
significantly smaller than DSLR, and there are fewer choices without adapters.
I agree that Sony e-mount glass is still fairly thin on the ground. That's one reason I'm holding off a purchase. I'm told there are many in the pipeline as this NEX series gains acceptance, & I expect more & better lens choices in coming months. (Hopefully some price drops on existing glass as well).
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,920
Sony's come out with a new 16-50mm lens that's just a tad bit bigger then the 16mm pancake lens. Very much more compact then any DSLR lens. Also, the new NEX 6 while only 16MP compared to 24 with the 7 still offers the OLED viewfinder. Amazon has the 6 with the 16-50mm lens for a tad under $900. Thinking very seriously of picking one up.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
We have that dilema also. My GF and I have destroyed 2 P&S cameras over the past couple of years. We mount them on the bars and with the wind resistance and bugs, after a while the pop-out lens stops working.

I would like to try one of those waterproof and shockproof ones and see how they do.

What are your opinions on that?
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
We have that dilema also. My GF and I have destroyed 2 P&S cameras over the past couple of years. We mount them on the bars and with the wind resistance and bugs, after a while the pop-out lens stops working.

I would like to try one of those waterproof and shockproof ones and see how they do.

What are your opinions on that?
For what you're doing I'd just get a Contour or GoPro camera.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
For what you're doing I'd just get a Contour or GoPro camera.
Already have a Contour. I need pictures, not video. I also carry my DSLR that I use when we stop.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Sony RX100

Sony RX100 is a great little pocket camera. A point and shoot camera, but you can still shoot manual with it, and it takes RAW too. Great IQ. I really love it. After I bought it, I never use my dslr anymore. And I think it will make a great camera for travelling on motorcycle.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
Already have a Contour. I need pictures, not video. I also carry my DSLR that I use when we stop.
Might want to look at your owners manual, my Contour does video AND pics . In fact, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a video camera that doesn't do pics, or a still camera that doesn't do video.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
vcvarmitcong
Cheekrashsucks

Oddometer: 47
OP, best wishes on your search.

Lots of compromises. I'm going to try something different. I have a D5100 for which I am going to try to build a protective bar mount. I know that I would take much more pics if all that I had to do was point the bars and shoot using a remote release. We'll see.