User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
BackRoadNomad OP
Wandering around

Oddometer: 330
Wandering Mid-Tennessee; curves, twisties, goats, burros, creeks & Patsy Cline

Day Trippin' seems to be where's it at for me nowadays. Exploring within 200-300 miles (round trip) from my home base allows me to poke around inside the borders of Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky and Illinois along with a vast amount of back roads within my own state of Tennessee.
Like many of you, I've owned oodles of motorcycles since I began riding in 1965; 2-stroke street and enduros, 2 and 4 cylinder street bikes/tourers and even a Puch moped to round it out. I currently ride a near mint, one owner 1989 Honda NX250 and a 2008 Kawasaki Versys, which is mildly farkled out. My Versys is my choice of rides for this kind of adventure.

Before getting into the storyline; I'd like to share some differences with the ridin' vernacular of middle Tennesseans when out riding the back roads...

For anyone that has ridden twisty blacktop in middle Tennessee, this sign should bring back some enjoyable memories. Hwy 232 in Stewart County, TN (just west of Dover) begins at Hwy 79 and goes south for many miles through middle TN. Miles and miles of twisties, up and down, left and then right...some motorcyclists claim it's more fun than the infamous "Tail of the Dragon" in the Smokies.

...a view of twisty roads through the lens of a GPS and through the windscreen.

What lies ahead of me.

You'll see many old abandoned homesteads and barns on Tennessee back roads.
]

...horses out doing what horses do.

...a large family of goats looking to eat anything not anchored to the ground.

...a corral of friendly and curious burros

...seems they've never seen a Red Versys in their backyard before.

...and here come the black sheep, I meant black burro of the family.

...it was along this same road that I found a small waterfall. ...Question...how far does water have to cascade over rocks in a creek bed before it's considered a waterfall? I estimated this tranquil flow of water was falling down about 18 inches.

Mooney Hollow road is the gravel road where the waterfall and burros were found.

Briefly, I road along TN Hwy70W, through New Johnsonville, TN, over the Tennessee River then northwards towards Camden, TN. Due to very recent rain (5-6"), all creek and rivers are up. The building to the right is the DuPont Industrial complex which appears to be on an island.

Arriving in Camden, TN you'll be welcomed by the following sign...which has been on my "Bucket List" for many years. The Patsy Cline crash site memorial is just a short ways down Mt. Carmel road.

...the obiligatory "I was here photos of me and my Versys"

...the entrance to Patsy Cline's Memorial where one can read about her life history as well as the other crash victims...this was covered with a canopy. Nice touch.

]

I had been able to visit this landmark during the early 90's. This is what I remembered it looked like then...a slippery downhill walkway infested with poison ivy.

...times have changed though and some welcome improvements to the site have been made.

...this is my somber and disappointed facial expression. Sad because Country Music lost a very talented vocalist; disappointed because I feel that more effort be made at the site to show a deeper love and admiration for those that died here. I grew up listening to Patsy Cline songs and unbeknownst to her, I have sang harmony with her for years while traveling in my car or at home. I'll spare you a sample...

Thus is the story of my "Day Trippin" ride, I had ridden 210 miles from home and spent 6 hours on/off the gel saddle of my Versys. I was really a whooped puppy when I turned the ignition off and rolled the bike into the garage. I played Patsy Cline songs on Pandora till I fell asleep last night.

disclaimer: to those that take the massive amount of time to post a ride report on this website...my hat's off to you! This RR may be one of only two or three I've posted in the years I've been a member here. Critiques and comments welcomed...be nice.

"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
BackRoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 315
Right on!
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
BackRoadNomad OP
Wandering around

Oddometer: 330
8trackmind...

I've enjoyed your ride reports as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
Right on!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
BackRoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoot View Post
I've enjoyed your ride reports as well.
Aw shucks... Thanks!
We seem to be riding the same roads...I'll meet you up at Trollingers some morning and we'll spook the deer on 232.
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,778
It looks like you have some nice riding in Mid TN. I'll have to come up and check it out.

Nice Versys

Thanks for posting.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
Patsy Cline is one of my favorites of all time. Not a country music lover but a lover of musical talent and she was thr best. I play her songs when I ride, helps me connect to everything that is really important in life.
You make me want to visit the site.
RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
Great pics. Need more
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 439
Great words + pics.

Thanks,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
During my 62 years a lot of great teachers have tried to explain geometry to me but your explanation of curves finally cleared that mystery. And thanks for the excellent ride report also. You seem to be able to get more color through the lens and onto screen than most.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
oldswimr
Flatlander

Oddometer: 23
Thanks

Well done. Never saw this info about the crash site. Glad you had a great ride. Best feeling in the world, turning that key off and being exhausted.

Hopefully you get many more.

rlm
oldswimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Good report! I may visit the waterfall today if I have time.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Reason to ride

Thanks for the ride report. Interesting that Patsy Cline has made a big comback in the past 15-20 years among the younger crowd. I guess good music never goes out of style.

Thanks for taking us along with you.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Hey ADVCoot, loved the report and the pictures. Sad day when the people on that plane lost there lives. Great that they have a memorial to them. Good to see you again too! Its been too long, hopefully we can meet up for a short ride or just some coffee and good conversation one of these days. Stay well and thanks for sharing the ride report!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I too have only written a few ride reports, but have enjoyed the multitudes of others there are to read. I enjoyed yours and your pictures. Thanks for taking the time to put this together for the rest of us!

Happy riding!
zekester63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
Thanks for sharing this Charles--------I never really ever knew about where the crash was ----and never knew there was a memorial. I've watched the movie about her----here songs will live forever---unlike the new stuff that goes number 1 for a really short time and disappears forever.

See you in a couple weeks Charles

Mark
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote