Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Try not to push the tire lever past vertical. I can't say this does it every time, but it helps.
I'll second this good advise. When you pull the handle of tire iron past 90 degrees to the rim, the tip of the tire iron tends to grab the tube and pinch it between the tire iron and the rim...especially if you don't have sufficient air in the tube to help it keep its shape and out of harms way. A light dusting of talcum powder on the tube and inside of the tire will help the tube situate itself inside the tire after the tire is mounted up and you are inflating and deflating the tube a few times to get rid of any folds, twists.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Do the stem area first, then keep the mounted portion of the tire pushed down into the center of the rim, this keeps the tube there also and away from the bead. And hold your mouth just right.. and dont swear, dont panic. Its just a tube.emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,074
I think got all my tube pinching out of the way when I was an avid bicycle rider.

Haven't pinched a motorcycle tube yet.

Never going past a certain point with the irons is key. Also, don't insert them too far.

Know where the tube is... be the tube.

Use the force?
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,182
Take a look here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717
It was a great help to me on my latest tire mounting project. Put the tube into the tire and slightly inflate FIRST.
The tube then stays out of harm's way.
HapHazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
Fourstring
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
What's the preferred technique for the last eight inches of tube? I was using 18" irons last night WITH my wife holding the tire on; we couldn't spoon it on. The iron was even bending.

Also, how does everyone handle rim locks? Last, first, doesn't matter?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstring View Post
What's the preferred technique for the last eight inches of tube? I was using 18" irons last night WITH my wife holding the tire on; we couldn't spoon it on. The iron was even bending.

I presume you mean tire, not tube? Make sure that the bead of the tire is down in the well of the wheel - if it is sitting on the bead seat area, you won't be able to get it over the rim and you can ruin the tire. Also, use lots of tire mounting lube. The last few inches will usually go on with a few well placed shots with a rubber hammer (also great for releasing tire-mounting frustration).
HapHazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Put one bead on, then the rim lock, (leave the nut on the end of the bolt) then the tube, then the second bead.make sure the bead is below the rubber on the rimlock. Use the exposed nut and bolt to push the rimlock up into the tire. emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,538
Once I get the tire stem in and a nut threaded on, I partially inflate the tire to get the wrinkles out. I then deflate it and start spooning it on without going past 90 degrees with the irons.

Make sure that the tire is depressed into the center of the rim. You can do that with the palm of your hands. Usually it requires repeated effort.

I do powder the tube and afterwards carry them in a sealed plastic bag for off road use.

It must work, I used to get a puncture on every install and it has been ages since I have done that.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Broken Stubbies

After breaking two stubbies (Because I am apparently unable to follow the directions that came with them), I have a buddy with a tire changing stand change them for me.

The Stubbies come with great directions. Pay special attention to the "drop center", when changing the tire. It is the key to spooning on a difficult dirt tire.

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #25
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstring View Post

The key is to have the opposite side of the tire bead down in the rim valley. I also use 3 short irons (MotionPro or MSR) and short purchases not huge ones. I just step on the bead with my foot/feet. I always put the valve stem side on first with the nut on 2 threads and also back out any rim lock to 2 threads. When you start mounting make sure the rim lock nut can be depressed all the way to the rim and the bead is by it. You should have rim-tire bead - lock then tube pushing on it. When you are done you should be able to push the rim lock back in and the tube will push it back out. I also eliminate the rubber strip on the rim and run Gorilla Tape on the spoke line so everything stays in the right place. Nothing more annoying than having that rim strip be over a hole that it is not supposed to be covering. Otherwise.... Good slippins,talcum powder just a touch of tube air are key. If it takes 2 people you are doing it wrong.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
For the last 8 inches or so of the bead I make sure it is lubed real well and have pressure on it and pound it with a rubber mallet over the rim. It works real easy IMO.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #27
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
Pay special attention to the "drop center", when changing the tire. It is the key to spooning on a difficult dirt tire.
This.

I once read or watched a tutorial on tire mounting somewhere that noted "if you're working hard, you're doing it wrong". I'm just as guilty of this as the next guy cursing my way through spooning a tire on. Slow down, work smart.

Good to read about not pushing the irons past 90º, I think that's where I've gotten in trouble and pinched a few tubes. Hopefully I don't have to test that theory soon…
.fisher is offline   Reply With Quote