Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
PBee OP

Oddometer: 8,461
Rocks, Rain & Red at Robertstown.

A combination ADV ride and paddock bashing saw a few of us heading for Robertstown South Australia.

Friends of Aussie Trev & Bernie own a camping & dirt bike paradise.

A few pictures to start:

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011. N
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 04:04 AM
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,271
My Robertstown experiences over the years have all been great. Friends own the property just north of the town and enjoy having us use it to ride bikes around. The steep hills and rocky trails are more easily used by lighter dirtbikes but DRs and 690s get around there alright.

I encouraged some ADV mates to come up there this week and we were to explore some trails out to the north of Burra and use the property as a base over a few days.....great idea.

Monday arrived and Id spent Sunday loading up the Tiger and my other requirements. Headed off Monday morning and besides the obligatory stop at the Eudunda bakery for a strong coffee, pasties and choc donut, it was a quick and uneventful trip.

Saw Kizz at Robertstown so I stopped to show him the way in. Bernie pulled up as we were leaving and PBee had taken Toot to the Truro Sunrise Bakery on his way in.

Got into the Hollows and opened everything up. Lots of beds, firewood and shelter. Seemed that some weather was making its way towards us, so we got things in place quickly and settled in.

Some of the boys toured the property and Bernie was intent on learning some more about his YamWR250F....he hit the hills etc pretty hard. I took off with the trailer and cut up a fallen tree just to supplement the firewood wed need for a couple of cold nights.

I jumped on the Tiger and did a 60 minute loop out to Worlds End (Burra Creek Gorge), into Burra and then down the Old Burra Rd back to Robertstown. A fast and flowing blast but the cooler weather got me and I started to freeze. Pumped up the Oxford grip heaters and started to feel the instant heat glow through my fingers......luverly.

Back to the Hollows in time for a beer or two and then some dark grape juice before contemplating dinner.

Toot got his Rapter quad mobile and found his way around some tracks too.

Warm night around the fire, a filling meal and laughs etc until late. The rain was on and off and seemed threatening for the morning.

Tuesday came around and various others started to arrive. The most notable was the sound out on the road (a kilometre away) of Big Jims Super Ten arriving.....very nice pipe. Masterbrewer, TonyRDR, Desert Matt on his Tenere, and then later in the day, Sundowner and DR Ozzy added to the crazy group.

The intended ride to Terowie was abandoned after the weather turned bad and was heading the same way as us. To make things worse for me my helmet visor was not locking slightly ajar and when closed was totally fogging over. That made for some interesting riding on sloppy tracks when I had to open the visor to see and then manage the rain on my sunnies....my eyes were starting to hurt badly.

The weather began to clear up but my eyes were not happy so I headed back to the Hollows only to run iinto Toot and PBee heading to a pub for lunch. That sounds like a good idea, so I parked the Tiger, quick change of clothes and jumped in with them. Nice country meal at the North Burra Hotel and then back to the Hollows. The boys had returned with stories of mud filling up low front guards etc but all were intact.

Beers started, we loaded up the fire, warmed up the clothing and settled in for a long night. I did a fruit damper but just slightly burnt the outside of it by having the camp oven too hot........pointed out to me by Sundowner but I chose to ignore him......oops!

I bailed about midnight and left the players to it.

This morning was slow and enjoyable, talking to the boys and getting everything organised so we could leave the place ready for the next guests.

Might find some good weather next time but day trips out of there are all the go for me from now on. The Tiger enjoyed those long dirt road out that way.........

Thanks guys, great company, again. Cheers.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 02:26 AM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Some photographs......

We've arrived....

Fixing the quad

Resting

Another Helinox chair under stress...

Fixing something Sundowner??

See that Masterbrewer's new helmet looks like a sleeping bag??

It's a tough life....but someone has to do it...

"Just having a crack"
Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
Valleyam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Great report so far guys, keep the pics coming.
Valleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Was looking forward to this ride. Flew in on monday arvo from a good weekend at the footy in beautiful weather in Melbourne. SA's weather was more like Melbourne, and would prove dust was not going to be an issue. Back in the shed and the battery on the big girl was dead flat so a charge up before bed and a good night sleep.

Was woken by a heavy downfall of rain around 6. Checked the water gauge. 1/4 inch over night. Went to the shed and fit the high front guard and begun rugging up and get on the bike to take off in the light rain. Past road trial experience had me dry and warm with wet weather pants inside my riding pants and I gave thanks to the inventor of goretex for my jacket. This water on the visor and fogging would take some sorting though, but the 60 km ride to one of the best properties I can remember visiting had me sorted and working out wind stopper gloves get wet and cool hands down considerably when riding in the wet.

After intro's and a chance to assess the weather we finally saddled up and rode north. By the time we got to Burra we worked out we rode into the weather band, and with some big bikes and low guards we chose to head south, rather than risk the clay around Hallett.

But 10 km south Trev had had enough of his pesky visor, and wanted to return to the Hollow, so he handed the lead reigns to me to show the boys around.

How would I go showing one if the great leaders if the state, Masterbrewer, around. The pressure was eminence. I started to delve into my memory and cross referenced on Masterbrewers map, and took off. We got to the Black Springs wind farm to find only 5 riders. TonyRDR must have stuck with Trev. After taking in the views, shot off down Tothill Valley with Big Jim's request of solid roads ringing in my ears. As a result I ignored all gap roads east it west and just stuck to the main road, only to find it to was a tad sloppy. I pushed on and waited at the end. We waited for Jim, before Bernie went back to check and found him closer than expected and we got to witness him pulling up with a flint wheeler that barely spun. Good skill there Jim!

At this southern point Jim took off to the black top and back to civilization. We headed further south and got onto the tracks passed on to me by Doc. A quick stop at Julia Creek cop shop, and inspiration point before a quick run into Robertstown for lunch supplies.

In town we found what could almost be described as the most bike friendly locals of the state. Waves all round, shop keepers canceling lunch to chat about bikes and property while defrosting sausages. A thoroughly enjoyable visit.

Back to camp, Bernie and I conquered the widow maker before settling down for a few beers, a snag and some good times. Trev insisted I ride his bike, after much arm twisting I obliged. I'm glad that she was taken, for if she was single I may have strayed from my happily married life. Nice bike Trev. I had a bit of an explore around Gods Country, no wonder it was called Hallejuyah Hills. Beautiful views east and north from the many hill tips. Beautiful.

Thanks for the invite Trev. These mud week, sorry midweek rides need to happen more often.
Desert Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,519
Cloudy periods with just a few light showers, the weatherman said

30 minutes before departure ........................ the sky opened up & up & up & down & down & down it came pounding the iron verandah roof Mmmmmm! ......................... thoughts of ringing TonyRDR to pick me up in his 4x4 tempted the tough & gnarly adventure rider soul, but I resisted.

But then as fast as it unloaded its fury ....................... it stopped.

Bugga!~ there goes any excuse I was contemplating and so met up with TonyRDR to fight the peak hour (unfortunate for some ) city traffic north outa town in the dark.

Following the aftermath of the storm all the way to Robertstown, we counted our blessings & were treated to blue sky on arrival.

While we met & gret, TonyRDR had obviously been planning 'an entrance'.

.................................................. ....... straight up the "widow maker" fully loaded.

The view from the top

But it wouldn't be long before the next rain dump was arriving.

So the 'Trev Takes Tiger To Terowie Trip' was ruled out & coffee in Burra was looking good, stopping in Worlds End Creek to tackle a few tracks Trev knew about, but alas his plan was thwarted.

The now ever smilin' man (for more than one reason ), couldn't care a less so long as he could get back on his mighty steed asap, well! ........ in his case, a Big Cat

The showers continued while we coffeed as Trev revealed he was having trouble with what was coming out of his mouth.

.................................................. ......... a whole lot of hot air.

His brain was taxed to find an answer for a fogging visor ........................ chewing gum should hold it open slightly, so he madly went to work mixing a few batches

He appeared to have so much fun finding the solution that the boys soon wanted a piece of the action too.

But it wasn't really that successful or so he told everyone, obviously keeping the extras for himself.

After fighting our way along a sloppy, ever narrowing road from grader works, he & TonyRDR headed back to camp and the rest of us took in the sights through an occasional "open gate"

It wasn't long before the next rain band was on it's way ....................... and so were we.

Continual showers were deteriorating the road surfaces making life on the big bikes interesting

.......... and for the whole family actually

Desert Matt was our designated leader today as it was his back yard we were playing in & Julie Creek Police Station ruins looked interesting ......... glad I'm not a copper

Absolutely fabulous views from Inspiration Point

........................................ with of course more showers

A quick run down the hill to Robertstown for lunch, unfortunately no one told them we were coming and the General Store was closed for lunch.

Mmmmmm! ..... an interesting concept when you think about it

Just as we were about to leave an old gentleman pulled up & shouted out, "you guys look hungry............. I may be able to help"

I replied " are you good a picking locks?" .................. "No but I have these, the keys to the store" Apparently he helps the owners from time to time & was just passing, saw us & gladly opened up. Nothing hot was available, so he suggested frozen snags.

"Let me defrost them for you, boys" was his attitude. So refreshing to meet such friendly country folk. We enthusiastically thanked him & headed back to the "Hollows" to count our blessings

....... and an early start to the evenings B.S. (and that's his initials by the way)

A meal for champions.

First time I've seen a rib eye lolly pop though.

Miss Molly of MollyDookerWinery was making her presence felt again (although not in person)

After a big night of tall stories & true, everything seemed a tad blurry in the morning. Sundowner & TonyRDR missed curfew or they were just avoiding the snoring den

Next morning saw me take a walk around the ridge tops to clear the head. Easy to see which direction the wind blows here.

The views are to die for

Appreciated the opportunity to enjoy a mid week escape Trev, thanks and all I can say is the trip wouldn't be complete without a bakery stop and after recommendations Eudunda Bakery filled the void on the way home.

.................................... wait for it

"Hallelujah"

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 01:27 AM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Russ

Oddometer: 15,538

I want to come to SA again for a play you guys are having a lot of fun down that way.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
The Cougar
Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer: 421
Nice one

Well done boys. Looks like a great coupla days away in a great spot.

cheers
The Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Yes, it's a great property and the hospitality of the owners needs to be respected, so we only go up there with groups every now and then...rather than have the place churned up too often.

The weather plays a small part, but the beauty of the place is the ability to ride around it between showers if it turns wet. I couldn't get my PE started on Friday and that was going to be my back-up plan, so I just left it home.....no big deal. I reckon I might end up with a 250 thumper and leave it there....something no frills but reliable enough.

Bernie and I are going to investigate the ability to leave gear up there so we can ride up on the bigger bikes when we feel like it, and stay a few days without having to cart everything up with us.

Might have solved some of the problems with the helmet; looks like I had all the vents closed!! that might have had something to do with the fogging over. The cams on the helmet were slightly out of alignment, so I've removed the lot and started again. It may have worked. Spent last night with eye drops in trying to cure the ache from the rain on Tuesday.

Might keep an eye on the weather and try to get up there again in June, although I see that Masterbrewer is trying to get some interest in a trip to Finke/Alice this year...not necessarilly on bikes. Anyone got a diesel 4WD and a week spare??

Now, back to the real world and some little jobs around the place - including a big clean-up for the Tiger.

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 05-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Oddometer: 595
Big thanks to Trev for organizing another great ride, a great spot to go with a fantastic little cabin to stay at and an enduro track to play on on the property and lots of adventure stuff around too ... had a ball, too good
DR Ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
TonyRDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Top place

Jeez you guys don't waste any time do you. This is the fastest I have seen a report go up.
What a great place, amazing tracks all around and a couch to sit on at the end. Thanks Trev that was excellent . It was good to put some faces to the names on the lists. Great riding with you all.

Cheers Tony
Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Yes, it's a great property and the hospitality of the owners needs to be respected, so we only go up there with groups every now and then...rather than have the place churned up too often.

The weather plays a small part, but the beauty of the place is the ability to ride around it between showers if it turns wet. I couldn't get my PE started on Friday and that was going to be my back-up plan, so I just left it home.....no big deal. I reckon I might end up with a 250 thumper and leave it there....something no frills but reliable enough.

Bernie and I are going to investigate the ability to leave gear up there so we can ride up on the bigger bikes when we feel like it, and stay a few days without having to cart everything up with us.

Might have solved some of the problems with the helmet; looks like I had all the vents closed!! that might have had something to do with the fogging over. The cams on the helmet were slightly out of alignment, so I've removed the lot and started again. It may have worked. Spent last night with eye drops in trying to cure the ache from the rain on Tuesday.

Might keep an eye on the weather and try to get up there again in June, although I see that Masterbrewer is trying to get some interest in a trip to Finke/Alice this year...not necessarilly on bikes. Anyone got a diesel 4WD and a week spare??

Now, back to the real world and some little jobs around the place - including a big clean-up for the Tiger.

cheers
Good thinking Trev, ride the big bike up & use the little bike up there (got a XR for sale, battery will never go flat) I always have the vents open on my adventure helmet & never had a problem.

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
bikerbilly
throwing a leg over

Oddometer: 119
that looks like a top spot to spend a few days.

2012 Husaberg FE 570................2004 KTM Adventure 950
bikerbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #14
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Good thinking Trev, ride the big bike up & use the little bike up there (got a XR for sale, battery will never go flat) I always have the vents open on my adventure helmet & never had a problem.

Cheers Terry
Yeah, that might be the go Tel, was talking to BS about it today. We've had loose ideas for a year or so about having a small shipping container or shed up there with our gear/bikes in it, and then riding up through some choice trails and soaking it all up for a few days before heading home again.

As for bikes, I've got a shed full at the moment. Did spend some time this morning looking at cheap 250 thumpers and might even go for a DR250 which is the bike that got me back into all this in the first place.

Would just leave eskies, chainsaws, clothes, cooking gear and other essentials there, bringing food and refreshments as required.....sounds like a plan.

Although the Tiger wasn't as dirty as some, it was still a mess....so out in the yard this afternoon, water, CT18, water, air hose, WD40 and done!

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 03:00 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
PBee OP

Oddometer: 8,461
.....I didn't think it would be long before it was spotless.

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011. N
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote