Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,864
The sign next to Slowred says, "Kane Creek 4WD and Bike Access".

Done with the trail we hit Hwy 191.

Up to Hole N The Rock and an ice cream break. Check out the jeep at the top!

This one isn't going anywhere.

Tire tools!

That's some serious 'yard art'.

Got bolts?
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #32
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Someone had some good rock carving skills.

One more closeup of the house built into the rock.

Bucket Boy gave us the choice of taking Hwy 191 the 10 or so miles into town and back to the condo OR a 20-ish mile extra loop that would cut off most of the highway riding and show us some old mines.

We don't like the highway!

But we also didn't come prepared for spelunking today.

Anybody need a grille from some old car?

Maybe an old truck to restore?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Great trip. Looks like you guys had fun!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #34
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Awesome report....
Looks like a Great time...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #35
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

A few twists and turns later we were on this road that I have been describing as a regular dirt road with a bunch of baseballs, softballs and the occasional bowling ball on top.

We encounter roads like this all the time. They always keep my speed in check because they're sketchy at low speed, there's a comfortable medium pace and I know I'm going too fast when I start feeling the front end getting twitchy again.

Slowred waited for me at this point because there was an optional turn in the road.

I waited for Refokus since he was bringing up the rear.

When he arrived we whined about the road condition for a little bit before taking off again.

Around the slight corner that you can see a few pictures up (the one looking at the snowy peak) I saw Slowred laying on the ground on the left side of the trail, his bike down on the right side. He was laid out straight on his back and the bike looked like it only tipped over. My very initial thought was that he was playing a joke on us and feigning a nap on the trail because we took so long to get there. But his bike was on the ground. He wouldn't have done that. I knew something was wrong.

I parked my bike and asked if he was okay. His response: "I don't think so." He blacked out during the crash and was obviously in a lot of pain. Refokus and I started assessing the situation. His helmet was chipped and cracked and he had a rock embedded in the shoulder of his chest protector. Obviously he took a hard hit to the shoulder and head. Fortunately his neck brace and other gear kept him from taking any more serious damage.

Slowred was ready to hit the 911 button on his SPOT. We didn't see anything poking out or otherwise immediately life threatening and he was coherent enough that we thought we could arrange our own rescue. The initial assessment was a broken collar bone, possible broken arm and broken scapula. He wanted to sit up and get some gear off. When we sat him up and he started talking about not being able to see very well and his vision going pixelated gray, I almost went for the SPOT myself. Once back on the ground things improved again but he was still in immense pain.

Bucket Boy and 4play came back down the trail shortly after Refokus and I arrived on the scene to see what was taking so long. Slowred led us to the heavy duty pain killers he packed away after his last major injury -a broken left clavicle (the same side he fell on this time!). 4play had the great description of, "The ones that look like they could get you arrested". Now all together again we immediately started formulating the plan for rescue. Bucket Boy, having the connections in the area and knowing the trails, tried to get his friend's Jeep on 36" tires to the crash site for the cushiest possible ride out. Unfortunately his friend was busy so he and 4play made the run into town to get the vehicle.

It was a long couple of hours before 4play and Bucket Boy returned with the Jeep. 4play kept his gear with him to ride Slowred's bike out. Bucket Boy aired the Jeep's 36" tires down until they started to fold, so about 1 psi. They probably acted like they were 31" diameter, but the ground pressure was low enough to absorb the rocks rather than transmit them to Slowred's injuries.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Once Slowred was loaded and on his way down the mountain in the Jeep, we took off on the bikes.

It was a tricky balance between wanting to go fast to get Slowred some help and not wanting to compound the problem by needing another rescue!

Refokus was taking it very easy on the return so I had time to get a few more pictures.

These nest/cocoon/web things are all over in this area. I'm not sure what they are.

The trail coming out wasn't too bad except for one very rocky downhill.

And then we were back on paved roads headed to the condo again.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #37
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Our loop for the day with Slowred's crash site marked in the lower right.

And the elevation profile for the 91 mile ride.

Back at the condo I picked up Slowred's truck and headed to the extraction point on Hwy 191 to meet the guys in the Jeep. Bucket Boy informed us that the ER in Moab was small and would only stabilize Slowred for a helicopter ride to Grand Junction or Salt Lake. Both were in the wrong direction! It had already been a long day, getting up at 5:30 (AZ time) and ending the ride as the sun was going down, but Slowred needed help as quick as possible. We returned to the condo again and got cleaned up, packed the truck and made a beeline for Phoenix, driving through the night. Slowred can confirm; the damage turned out to be a re-broken clavicle, several broken ribs and a shattered scapula.

Heal well, Slowred! You'll be back out riding again soon.

Yardstick screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 02:35 PM
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 310
Thumbs down Shit Shit Shit

This is crappy news! I was really enjoying this ride report until the end. Sorry to hear about this Terry! Get well soon!!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #39
pprO.R.A.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Day Trippin

At the first part of the RR I was wondering why this was in DT section, now I know. Sorry to read about the trip ending prematurly. What you had so far reported and pics where epic. Some of those spots I had been to, it was nice to see photos of them again. We are going out there again soon to areas new to us, wish we had a local guide.
Hope slowred has a good recovery, and you guys get back out there soon. Great quality RR by the way.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #40
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Nice RR Yardstick!
For me the first 2.5 days were a blast. The last, not so much. I'll add a few pics that I snapped.

The 3 amigos, Yardstick, 4play and Refokus on Slickrock.

The views were incredible. Yardstick.

Yardstick kicking it up, followed by Refokus
Slowred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #41
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Bucket Boy playing in some snow!

Here's the view of Rose Garden Hill from afar. Looks nice, doesn't it

Here's the view up close and personal. BB.

My view.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #42
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

View from the top.

Top of the World.

Bucket Boy preparing to jump.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #43
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Day 2 had us headed out to Chicken Corner and the Kane Creek Trail. We stopped along the way to watch the SoCal Bronco Rockcrawlers break a few Broncos.

This was the first big step. BB said they only got bigger going up. We watched three break their trucks in a row. Wow!

After Chicken Corner, we headed up Kane Creek Trail, which was a blast. Refokus charging through one of dozens of creek crossings.

Further along we veered off a side trail that was great fun. Refokus.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #44
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
Great pics. I did Kane Creek a couple years ago on my 70th BD on my XRL. Did not make the left turn & went up the same hill Buddy did before I saw my mistake. Also fell on that same rocky uphill! Great memories. Would do again only on my 250, a lot less work. Started to storm on our way out. Never so happy to see the pavement & get back to Moab.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #45
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

This quad didn't negotiate the narrow trail quite as well. The guys below said no one died. Whew!

Buddy followed by Yardstick coming down the ramps.

Next the trail crossed this old bridge covered by new metal. Glad we didn't have to cross on the rotted timbers from prior.