User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
mill OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
1000 Mile Loop to Nowhere

I never share much here as I tend to be more active in a local forum. That is where most of my sharing goes on. I decided I would cross post this ride report for your enjoyment. I made this ride in July of 2012.

So for the past few weeks I have had that "lost soul" feeling, and have had a hard time shaking it. I knew it was time for a solo weekend ride. A few days to clear my head and settle myself again. I wasn't really sure which direction I wanted to head, but I never really am.

Thursday night I decided that if things went well, and I was able to clear issues up at work, that I would leave early Saturday morning and head East. Why did I chose East? Well this "July Challenge" thing had me wanting to hit an outlying state. Of course everyone goes to N.C. and I already have a trip to Arkansas planned for October, so I decided to go where no one ever goes....South Carolina. I threw down a route on MapSource that night......

Well, I got home and Friday night late and tossed the hammock in the top case. I sat down and poked around on the web and came across a place they call "Georgia's Little Grand Canyon". Looked rather interesting, so I incorporated it into the route. I set the alarm for 5:00am and went to bed.......

The alarm went off, just as I had anticipated....only this time I wasn't getting up. I decided "screw it" I'm sleep in! I finally got out of bed around 10am, cooked my "5 eggs and toast breakfast of champions" messed around the house for a bit, and was on the road by noon.... lazy dayzzzz ^-^

My first stop was to eat again. I pulled in at the Wendy's in Eufala, stepped inside, and found myself surrounded by a diner full of teens and pre-teens that were returning home from a beach trip. While in line a gentleman comes to ask if that is my red motorcycle parked outside. I told him it was, and he proceeded to tell me he had just backed in to it!!!!!

We walk outside and inspect the damage. Not much too it really, and surely not enough to worry with. Scuffed the front fender a bit is all. I wasn't in the talking mood now and didn't have a lot to say to the man. Apologizing again, the man reaches into his pocket and pulls out a religious pamplet. Come to find out, he's the preacher at the local church....hhhmmmm. As I turn to walk away he says something that really bothered me " Now you be careful on that motorcycle". I know it was meant well, but at the time it irked me. In my head I thought "be careful for fools like you that don't even check behind them when they back up.....maybe you should be more careful!!!!" {113}

After eating I jumped back on the bike and headed to my only "planned" stop.

[size=18pt]Providence Canyon, Lumpkin GA
[/size]

It was kind of hot and I planned to hike down to the canyon basin, so I stripped my gear and pt my camelback back on. I made the hike down and spent the next couple of hours soul searching and exploring.

Alright, I'll pick this back up tomorrow...........
mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
mill OP
Adventurer

Ok, so I'm in no mood for typing right now, but here are a few shots that I forgot to throw in yesterday.

Of course I had to hit some dirt around the AL/GA border

I tried to venture further down this "off beaten path", unfortunately is was gated as NO TRESSPASSING U.S. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT {1}

Met a friend "roadside".....I swear this guy was as big around as my forearm!!!! He was curled up in the center of the road when I drove by. I felt it best to turn around and get a better look. Hell, how about a close up ^-^ Count those rattles WHOA

Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Nice beginning. Was the rattler on your side of the solid yellow line or his side?
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
mill OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Nice beginning. Was the rattler on your side of the solid yellow line or his side?
Reagrdless, we'll just agree that it was HIS side!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
mill OP
Adventurer

Ok, so after getting all sweaty and stuff hiking around the canyon, I decided it was time to hit the road again. I geard back up, mounted the VFR, and was back on the road through South GA again. I found what was left of this home and stopped for a photo....

While standing there looking at all of the burned rubble, my mind faded away. There were so many things playing through my head. What happened here? A families memories burned into ashes. I could go on here about whimsical stories, getting lost within the mind, and possibly some other poetic babble, but I will move on....it's about the ride.

Stopped by an old farm house that gave me a similar feeling.......

Down the road, I continue to put the old red bird in the wind. I trucked along and before you know it, the sun had given way to the darkness. The bugs were terrible. Every gas stop also required the use of the window squeegy to remove a 5mm thick insect cemetery from my face shield. I was getting hungry so I decided to stop and eat my dinner on the side walk.

Back on the bike again, battling my way down the lonely backroads. As I blasted through the thick night air, I caught a glimpse of an old country store. I decided it was worth a "photo turnaround".

I felt like the "Ghost Mill" that night. Disappearing to ride solo to the east coast. Wandering like a lost soul in search of something......something I couldn't describe, but only feel; an unknown pull in a sense., dragging me out without direction.

It was getting close to 1a.m. and I had finally made it to my questionable, illogical destination.

Continuing momentarily........................
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
i see someone's been digging around in the archive

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,802
Enjoying this and looking forward to more.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
mill OP
Adventurer

Alright, I'm back.....

So after passing into S.C. I headed up around the Parris Island area. At this point I am still undecided: "Do I try to find a room @ 2am or find a place to hang the hammock?" After making several loops of backroads and checking the local campgrounds (which were all closed) I finally made a decision...........

By this time it is 2:30am. There is nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING around me. I find the only lit area visible (church parking lot) and stop for a protein bar. A few bites in and the local authorities arrive. The officer pulls up "Well good morning young man. So what are you out doing?" I approach his vehicle, steadily chewing on my Cliff bar. I lean down and reply "Well, the plan is to ride that motorcycle until the sun comes up." Shaking his head as one would do to rid a bad image from the mind, he asks "Why?" That was kind of a hard one to answer..... Our conversation continues and I soon discover he is a rider too! After ~30min of convo, I saddle back up and ride back into the darkness.

You see I've never ridden through the night and had the opportunity to watch the sun come up. Sounded like a good idea at the time, so I made it happen! I didn't spend much more time in S.C., as my backroads route home was fairly lengthy. I make it back into South GA plantation area. There were several times that I looked up into the stars over the fields and contemplated pulling over. I wanted to watch the Galaxy, I wanted let my mind wander, and I wanted to blow a tune on my harmonica, all while laying in my hammock. The mood was perfect, but the timing wasn't right. I had committed to a "sun-rise" ride, and refused to be derailed by some delirious thought of zen on a summer night.

I kept pushing, and eventually the sky started to lighten. I had made it to Jefferson County Georgia. I passed the courthouse there, and something about it intrigued me. It was a very unique historic monument. I wanted a photo! There was absolutely now one out in this small town yet, so I did the unthinkable......I rode the bike up and onto the sidewalk, all the way to the front steps of the courthouse!!!! :)

After circling off the sidewalk, I was on the trail again. Sometime in the night the air had gotten a bit chill and damp. Now, as the sun began to rise, warmth began to run down the backside of my neck. A feeling of completeness soon followed.

For the next few hours my mind was in a state of stimulation and my body on a euphoric surge from the gradual overflow of sunrise. I made a circle through one of the local parks and watched the "smoke on the water" and the early rising fishermen casting their lines.

It wasn't long after this that my body and mind were in a power struggle. I was drifting in and out and constantly battling the fall of my eyelids. I felt sorta like this guy.....and this guy reminds me of the movie "The Dark Crystal" (I know, out of context)

I had to pull over and get a little rest. I found an area down by the river where the locals were putting in kayaks and strung up the hammock. After about 2 and a half hours, I awoke feeling rested and ready. At the next gas stop I checked the tires and noticed something of concern.....it looked like someone had scratched the center line of the rear tire with their fingernail. I knew what this was; the tires are toast. I decided that since my cell phone was dead and it was Sunday (no shops open) that it be best to take the most direct path home. Garmin says 3hrs!!!!!!

I set it and go! I pass an old "Antique Shop" along the way and spied something unique. I had to turn around for another photo. How many of you remember these? I think I used to actually fit in this thing.....yes, this is me re-living my youth and being a kid again. Oh okay, so I never grew up.....and hope I never do. Life is FUN excited

I finally made it back to Montgomery around 2pm Sunday afternoon. Exhausted, I pushed the gallant red steed into the garage. Checked the odo for a grand total of 994 miles. Guess this is my unofficial "Iron Butt Ride" or as I am calling it, my "Ghost Butt Ride" Hhhmmmm guess it's a good thing I decided to cut the last portion of my route short 8)

Think it, dream it-------------LIVE IT!!!!!!