ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
cmacfar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Places to live

As these kind of posts pop up in the Mountain region often I figure Id post one up in the SE region for some opinions.

The wife and I have always wanted to move out of Colorado as we both were born and raised here and are looking for something new. As they say the grass is always greener and well that is true for us with the SE portion of the US. Just looking for options on places that would be good areas to raise a family (We have a 16 month old son thus far) We both love small towns but small towns are hard to find jobs in for our current professions (Im a Civil Engineer, shes in HR/Professional Training) List of things wed be looking for in a community:

1. Family Friendly
2. Good Schools
3. Easy access to outdoorsy stuff (camping, hiking, dirt biking, fishing, water sports etc)
4. Affordable Housing on a small piece of land 0.5 acre or more would be great (A typical tract home within 30 minutes of Denver is 200k for something small and needs a lot of work and possibly a crappy neighborhood and around 400k for a larger home in the 2,000 sf size range that has middle of the road upgrades and thats on a 5,000 sf lot A nicer older 20s-40s home close to the city are in the 500k-Million plus range in Denver) Depending on the work situation wed be in the high 200k to mid 300k range I would suppose.
5. A decent economy
6. A nice town center that might have a few mom and pop type shops and restaurants

The states Id say we are focusing on would be the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, possibly Alabama and Mississippi. Ive visited Kentucky a lot when my Grandparents lived there along with South Carolina in the Charleston area, along with Knoxville TN and have really liked all those areas but Id prefer possibly a smaller town or an outskirt area and commute to a larger city for work and my wifes Grandparents live in Savannah GA so we have very little knowledge of the area.

Whenever I see pictures of ride reports from this area all I can think of how beautiful this area is and how green it is too. Im open to suggestions and especially open to any Job leads as well. I currently work for the local government (cough/cough) in Colorado in Water Quality and Flood Control so that is my area of expertise but also worked 4.5 years for small local firm doing land development/surveying/project management right out of school. Wife has experience in all HR aspects especially recruiting, training and other general HR duties.

Thanks for any feedback!
cmacfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874687

A few pages of discussion here that's recent

Brief synapsis

it's hard to go wrong with East TN, Western NC, WV, or anything close to the mountains.

In your fields HR is probably available, lots of industry lots of HR departments and lots of temp agencies. Civil Engineering/ flood control, look at TVA.

Any questions ask.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 382
Nc/sc

I just came from Charleston, SC and it's definitely family oriented with lots to do and completely affordable. However, if I had my choice (military) I would be in Asheville, NC. Great little secret, great riding, great history, great up and coming city!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
Roanoke VA area

My wife and I live near Roanoke, in the Blue Ridge Mtns. of Southwest Virginia. Roanoke is an active city, about 90,000 people, with another 150,000 folks in the surrounding area. Downtown is vibrant with lots of shops and restaurants, and a growing music and pub scene. Lots of outdoor activities like greenways, hiking, Appalachian Trail, fishing, camping, Blue Ridge Parkway etc. The motorcycling opps are second to none. An active sport touring club, Twin Valley Riders. Many members on here also.
We live about 20 miles from the city center in Floyd County. Floyd town is about 40 miles from Roanoke, and is an interesting little one stop light town with a very vibrant music scene on weekends. Blue Grass is king, but also other styles at various eating establishments and on the street. Floyd Fest is a huge eclectic music festival held in Floyd County right next to the Blue Ridge Parkway in July. Get your "hippie" on at Floyd Fest.
Housing and cost of living lower than average. Right now regular gas is $3.17/gal.
Sometime next year we will be listing our place for sale, as we are building a new home closer into Roanoke. Our 1900 Sq Ft contemporary ranch on 3.4 acres will hopefully list for around $240,000, but we have not had it appraised yet.
Good luck, and come check out Roanoke.

http://www.roanokeva.gov/WebMgmt/ywbase61b.nsf/DocName/$home

http://www.visitroanokeva.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=roan...w=1093&bih=448

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,596
front royal va has treated me well.......bedroom community for DC with all of the things you seek.
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
USA-H1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I believe asheville has about everything you are looking for even the schools. I believe the school I graduated from just got ranked 5th in the country. A.C. Reynolds.

I have lived in asheville my whole life (minus college) and I cant think of a better place to live. If you like the outdoors you should check it out.
USA-H1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
cmacfar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thanks for the responses so far. Wife and I are actively looking/applying for the job opening we're seeing that fit our experience in a few of the areas you all have mentioned. Hopefully we'll be able to secure at least one job soon and make a move!
cmacfar is offline   Reply With Quote